Esurance / Avoid this company

1 MI, United States Review updated:

I was in an accident on Aug 20. I was rear ended at 30 mile per hour and my car was totaled. So please keep in mind that this accident was in no way my fault and could not be prevented or avoided.
I called Esurance and the man that answered was everything you needed after being in an accident. He was kind and very patient. The next day I talked to a case worker and she was very nice and walked me through what would happen next. The appraisor came out and saw my car. He valued the car at $7400!?!? Kelly blue book valued my car at $9180. How could this happen.
So Mr. Appraisor went to autotrader.com and picked three cars in my area from private sellers. One car was valued at 11K, one at 9.5K and the other at 7K. The average is 9K+. The appraisor basically claimed in his report that I could replace my car with 7K.
The adjuster sent me the report I am mentioning (this is a very useful tool, if you do not have it request it). I called her and explained that this was outrageous. There was no way I was going to be able to replace my car with the amount they claimed it was worth. So I emailed her the KBB value and a handful of auto trader ads for cars in my area and told her it was unrealistic to think I can replace my car with the amount she quoted. She responded and said I could get my own appraisor and to make his report. If they disagree we will have to go to an umpire.
No one plans to be in an accident but it really stinks to be in one and have the people you pay on time every month really screw you over...it has been 3 weeks now and we are still going back and forth in email. Wish me luck.

Sa

Comments

16th of Oct, 2008

I too was in a serious rear-end accident on Sept. 23, 2008. I was not at fault (I was sitting in a turn lane at a complete stop) and I do not have Esurance but the guy who hit does have Esurance. He hit me first and then went on to hit 3 other people. All totaled he caused damage to 6 cars including his own. The excuse for the accident was that his prosthetic foot fell off and lodged in the pedals. He is wholly at fault for the accident and my car was hit from behind and then shoved into an SUV in front of me so the rear end and the front end of my car are crunched. It took 3 days for Esurance to contact me and then another week for them to give me a rental car to use. I finally got the valuation of my totaled car and their estimate of its value is a joke. I had a 2006 VW Jetta with only 30, 000 (approximately) mile on it. It was in excellent condition and they say it was only in moderate condition. How you can tell that from the wrekage, I have no idea. Anyway, they now have me dealing with 2 people at their company. One for the car damage and one for the personal property and bodily injury (I was transport by ambulance to the hospital). Their valuation of my car is about $3000 too low for me to get a replacement car. I have no idea what they will do for the personal property and bodily injury I sustained. I have researched the value of my vehicle with KBB, Edmunds, NADA and a local VW dealership so I know the value of the vehicle but they use some company called CCC (which the general public can not access) to come up with their estimate. Through my research I came up with a value of $17, 500 for an average with the lowest being $16, 300 and the highest being $19, 000. Yet, they insist on only offering me a maximum of $15K and change. They will add in for the tax and some other $39 charge but then they deduct $904 for dealer prep. I should not have to pay anything to get a replacement (comparable) car nor should my insurance company (which is what they want me to do and have said as much). They sent me about 5 pages of car comparisons, even from the dealer in my are, but after all the deductions they take on those cars there is now way I can get a replacement for the money they offered to me. It is now 3 weeks on since the accident and all the bruises and cuts have healed except for a spot on my forearm that is still bruising and some discomfort in my neck but the real pain in my neck is dealing with these people. I thought I could handle this by myself as I was not trying to take the company for any maximums just fair compensation but I see I was wrong so now I am looking for an attorney. Hopefully, I can find an attorney that will not charge me his fee but charge Esurance so I can get the appropriate compansation for my car and injuries.

24th of Mar, 2009
    Esurance Inc - Doubled my premium without notifying me
    Esurance Inc

On Feb 11th i renewed my insurance, and today i checked they have doubled my premium.

• Vi
      22nd of May, 2009

I am in the same situation as you right now. My car had an accident and it wasn't my fault so I called esurance and they totaled my car. The KBB value of my is $4, 500 and esurance said they will only give me $2, 700 for my car now I'm in the process of getting an attorney. These people are thieves and I don't know they are still in business. I filed a complaint with BBB and I will do the same with my State attorney.

• Ke
      20th of Oct, 2010

WOW !!! No wonder the quote I got was $100.00 less a month with Esurance the Progressive !!!
    Thanks for the info--- Going with Progressive.
    You do always get what you pay for !!
    Ken