Erie Insurance Group / Uses Stupid Reasons To Charge More

In using credit scoring for insurace purposes, Erie Insurance used the reason "Number of Accounts Paid As Agreed", as a reason why I was being charged more for my insurance. When I spoke with them and with ChoicePoint I was told that I had to have had dilinquent accounts, foreclosures, or charge-offs showing on my credit report. I obtained a copy of the credit report that they supposedly used. None of this showed on the report. As a matter of fact, all accounts on the report were listed as "Accounts in Good Standing" and "Never Late". After fighting with them several times about this, and contacting the Department of Insurance, they changed their mind, and said that the reason was coming up because I pay my accounts as agreed, but I have too few, or not enough accounts that I have to pay -- that I didn't have the "optimal number of accounts". When I asked them what the "optimal" number is, of course, they "don't know". When I asked ChoicePoint, who supposedly supplies the information to them, they "don't know" as well. They claim that they have to know how many accounts are listed on your report before they can tell you whether or not you have the optimal number. Sounds to me like there really is no optimal number! Maybe they are pulling this reason out of their deep, dark, hole, as an excuse to charge people more. What do you think? Additionally, how does Erie have the nerve to charge people more for insurance, because they pay their other bills as agreed--when Erie Insurence Group, themselves, require that payment be made on time? According to Erie, though...even though the paper that was sent with my policy stated that I was being charged more because of this reason and other unrelated reasons, "I am receiving a discount." Apparently no one at Erie knows the definition of "discount". I would love to know which dictionary has "an increase in price" as the definition of "discount"! If they are pulling this crap on you, call them and give them H_ _ _! Erie Insurance [protected] (Ask for an Executive Assistant, not customer service). ChocePoint [protected] (Ask them to explain their logic). Ohio Department of Insurance [protected] (Ask how much the insurnce company pays them to go along with whatever they want to pull).

Comments

• Bq
      14th of Apr, 2008

In using credit scoring for insurace purposes, Erie Insurance used the reason "Number of Accounts Paid As Agreed", as a reason why I was being charged more for my insurance. When I spoke with them and with ChoicePoint I was told that I had to have had dilinquent accounts, foreclosures, or charge-offs showing on my credit report. I obtained a copy of the credit report that they supposedly used. None of this showed on the report. As a matter of fact, all accounts on the report were listed as "Accounts in Good Standing" and "Never Late". After fighting with them several times about this, and contacting the Department of Insurance, they changed their mind, and said that the reason was coming up because I pay my accounts as agreed, but I have too few, or not enough accounts that I have to pay -- that I didn't have the "optimal number of accounts". When I asked them what the "optimal" number is, of course, they "don't know". When I asked ChoicePoint, who supposedly supplies the information to them, they "don't know" as well. They claim that they have to know how many accounts are listed on your report before they can tell you whether or not you have the optimal number. Sounds to me like there really is no optimal number! Maybe they are pulling this reason out of their deep, dark, hole, as an excuse to charge people more. What do you think? Additionally, how does Erie have the nerve to charge people more for insurance, because their pay their other bills as agreed--when Erie Insurence Group, themselves, require that payment be made on time? According to Erie, though...even though the paper that was sent with my policy stated that I was being charged more because of this reason and other unrelated reasons, "I am receiving a discount." Apparently no one at Erie knows the definition of "discount". I would love to know which dictionary has "an increase in price" as the definition of "discount"! If they are pulling this crap on you, call them and give them H_ _ _! Erie Insurance 1-800-458-0811 (As for an Executive Assistant, not customer service). ChocePoint 1-888-497-0011 (Ask them to explain their logic). Ohio Department of Insurance 1-800-686-1526 (Ask how much the insurnce company pays them to go along with whatever they want to pull).

• Mc
      16th of Aug, 2011

I also have been with Erie for approximately 30 years and am being treated like a criminal. I was recently involved in an accident that was not my fault. A truck went through a stop sign and totally demolished my 1997 Volvo wagon. Erie is giving me a hard time in paying and also they want me to sign over my medical records and list all mydoctors. Fortunately, I was not injured badly - whip lash. I have an excellent driving record and maintain my cars properly. I had not car payments, was not looking forward to any. I asked Erie to make me whole financially and I have gotten nothing. It's not like they are not going to get their money, they will go after the other person's insurance and get fully reimbursed. Also, they made me use my deductible and took it out of what they were going to give me for my car. Volvos last almost for a life-time and hold their value very well. There was no way I could have found a car in the time frame that Erie said I should have and this left me with and $800+ car rental bill. They only picked up a little over $300. Their agents are extremely condesending toward the people they insure and have a take it or leave it attitude. I will be looking at other insurance companies. I also have my home owners with them and you get treated just as badly. They are right there for the money, but not any kind of help. Stay away from Erie. Since my accident I have heard several people complain about the service and attitudes.