Equity Residential / New Rent Collection Practices

1 OR, United States Review updated:

To whom it may concern,

Equity Residential, a national company with 9 properties in the Portland area has newly instituted several key changes to their rent collection policies that I believe run contrary to Oregon Landlord Tenant Law.

1. All properties have discontinued the afterhours rent drop box. Making paying your rent after 5:00 on the fifth now late.
2. They have a web portal for residents to pay their rent. However the web portal is set to Central time so any payments made after 10:00 Pacific are automatically considered late and a late fee is immediately charged.
3. Equity’s stated policy in processing payments are Rent then Fees then Utilities. Any check written for Rent and Utilities will be applied to Rent and Fees first then a notification will appear on your door that you have not paid your utilities and immediate action is required.

These practices are on the surface harmless but the undermine basic rights of Oregon renters. Namely that they have 4 days after the first in which to pay their rent (i.e. by end of day on the 5th). Now if you do not have internet access you have less rights than those that do. Additionally, even if you pay your rent after on the 5th but use the portal you lose two of the hours the law affords you.

My specific situation is this: I have stated in writing that my rent and utility checks are to be applied to only what they were written. This was fine until recently when they applied my rent check/utility payment to a late fee generated two month's ago by the aforementioned web portal policy. I paid my rent in Oregon at 10:20 PM on the fifth. Their response to my accusation that they misapplied my check which is still considered check fraud was to threaten to reverse the payment then charge me two $75 late fees for my unpaid late fee.

I have never paid late and have been a resident at Equity Residential for 5 years. Now due to their new policies I have two late payments. Both for paying after 10:00 PST. The first was refunded the second I am dealing with now.

This is not an uncommon problem and many residents have expressed real frustration but we need some direction as to our rights and how to ensure them.

To date I still have my utilities listed as unpaid on my account.

Comments

• Tt
      19th of May, 2010

Same thing happened to me at an Equity Residential property in Arlington Virginia. I paid a few minutes before midnight while I was traveling in the pacific time zone, checked my email and got a confirmation before midnight. Again, the server in the central time zone decided I was late and I was charged an immediate 15% ($300) late fee. When I disputed the charge and offered evidence that I had paid on time, they accused me of altering the email, they stated there was no way they could reverse the charge and they threatened me with immediate eviction and legal action, even though non-payment of a late fee is not legal grounds for eviction. Unbelievably poor customer service. The whole "very satisfied" ad campaign is nothing more than corporate doublespeak [censor]. They are not interested in my satisfaction. They are a heartless bureaucracy run by children who love to wave their power around. Very unsatisfied.

• Wi
      9th of May, 2011

All I can say This company and there local manager of the complex sucks the big one

• Tg
      9th of Jun, 2012

seems like after the first time you should have figured it out...should the company also tell you when to eat and wipe your ###.