Empire Hyundai / Breaking every rule in the book!

Empire Hyundai
www.empirehyundai.com

428 Pleasant St
Fall River, MA 02721
[protected]

Empire Hyundai in Fall River is the wrong place to go for buying a new or a used vehicle based on my experience. What kind of tricks and tactics did they try on me? 1) Bait and Switch (I wanted one model with Standard transmission which was NOT a Fleet Vehicle and they showed me another model with Automatic which CarFax showed was a former rental.) 2) I told them that I already had a finance deal at X% and not to submit my credit app unless they could beat it. (They came back with X+3.5% and ran a credit report again anyway.) 3) Then to show me the alleged value of this used rental car they somehow fudged the year, the miles and the features to come up with a faked out value almost equal to the showroom new value with zero miles by using Kelly Blue Book's website. All they showed me was the final figure without showing me the assumptions they used. Then the finance manager wanted me to sign the deal while holding his hand over the purchase price and the interest rate and trying to get me to accept 'Instant Delivery' while waiving all Rights of Recission after Instant Delivery. When I asked him what that meant, he mumbled something like: "Oh, that just means you get to drive the car out tonight, but if you don't like it for any reason, we take it right back again within 3 days, no questions asked." What a bunch of sleaze balls.

Va

Comments

• Ri
      17th of Aug, 2008

Empire Hundai, Plymouth has hundreds of complaints according to the AG's office division of consumer affairs. My daughter got lewered there with thair false advertising. "100% guarenteetd financing, 5000.00 trade in" They took here vehicle in trade, put here in a new car registered and insured, three weeks later they called and said the bank is backing out and she will have to return the car. They gave her the cash downpayment back and said they would tow her trade in car back to my house. two weeks later we called about here car and they sait it got whole saled. nice ha. They basicaly stole her car! Oh and did they offer 5000.00 for the trade in that they stole? No they offered 500.00. ###! And yes we have the title! didn't accept the 500.00 offer. waiting on the AG'recomendations.

• Si
      1st of Sep, 2008

I'm really sick and tired of people who have no idea what they are talking about bashing businesses claiming false advertisement and bad business on ludicrous claims. An instant delivery form is in no means a final binding contract, basically it is just a way for the dealership to cover themselves insurance wise if you wreck their vehicle before you sign the finalized paperwork. Second off how would they know if they could be your said X% without pulling a bureau and submitting you to their network of banks, get real. To the second poster, 100% guaranteed financing is 100% correct, it just doesn't mean it is on your terms. I'm going to venture a guess and say you didn't agree to pay the first figures the salesperson brought back to you, which is what the bank would have 100% funded, you probably offered little to no of the downpayment asked originally of you therefore screwing yourself out of guaranteed financing. As far as the $5000 trade-in, just because they show you $5000 for your trade off list price of the vehicle doesn't mean they were giving you $5000 ACV(actual cash value). If you say they wholesaled your car, 9 out of 10 times that means your trade was actually worth $1 to the dealership, so I would have taken the $500 and ran, people need to get a clue.

• Jp
      31st of May, 2009

Today May 30th 2009. My wife and I were lured into Empire my a bait n switch tatic. We were told that our credit was great and approved a loan for 171 a month for 60 months with 500 down on a new Accent. We drove 1 hour to get to this dealer who then said the car was on another lot and wanted to show us cars twice the price. When we said No, they then upped the price on the vehicle and tried to get 260 a month for 72 month. When I said no and wanted my money back I was called a F - - -ing JEW ###, a Cheap poor bum and threatened all in front of other customers. Then the General Manager Ripped up my money and threw it at me. Needless to say we didn't buy the car and I am seeking legal advice as they do false advertise. The best part is Watch for the Video on You Tube as another customer saw this unfolding and she taped the whole thing and gave me her name as a witness. These guys are far from professional and I aim on getting at least 2 of them fired...

• Wa
      16th of Aug, 2009

I stopped in to buy a new car. I test drove a car with a $19K sticker on the window. Then the salesman showed me a bottom line number of $21K boasting he was able to give me $4K off sticker price! As I was bolting out the sales manager asked me what the problem was and after I told him he apologized and said I drove a fleet car (with under 100 miles on it!) and it was missing the adjusted price sticker on it. When I told him he was insulting my intelligence, he asked what I was willing to pay. I told him $14.5K. He worked with someone on the phone for 20 minutes before telling me he couldn't meet my price but was close if I wanted to deal a little. When telling him I wouldn't deal with such a dishonest sales staff he justified his actions saying "it's my job to maximize profits." I walked out. I then went to Rt 44 Hyundai in Raynham and bought a car with a sticker price $1K more than the car I drove at Empire and paid $14, 7 for it with no hassles, surprises, or stress.

23rd of Sep, 2009

Empire Hyundai is to be avoided; I had a terrible experience with them. They posted an ad for a used Mazda 5 that was $3500 under the price they wanted for the car. They put in "fine print" that the displayed price on the web included a $3500.00 trade in. In order to see the "fine print" however, I needed to email the information about the car to myself from the website. I went to Empire and experienced a high-pressure sales approach. I was embarrassed for them, angry at them and frustrated by them. I just bought a Mazda 5 from the Gallery in Norwood and I am happy with my find.

• Fa
      8th of Jan, 2010

Today, January 8 2010, I had a terrible experience, visiting Empire Hyundai. I was looking to buy a car and I was treated like trash by the sales staff. I asked for the price of a car and its was refused to me, without all my personal information. Than, some guy over 300 lbs. came over and said that this dealership doesn't do businnes like that - same as refusing a customer. Ok! I Got out of the door and took a ride to another place, very different, with educated people, and I made a great deal!
    Thanks, Mr. Vieira! You will never see me again.
    A Fall River resident

• Fa
      8th of Jan, 2010

Aconselho a toda a gente que nunca visite o Empire Hyunday de Fall River.
    O serviço de atendimento é péssimo, sem qualidade e o freguês é tratado como lixo!
    Por incrível que pareça, numa economia má, como estamos a sentir, o pessoal ali parece arrotar, com fome.
    Pergunta-se o preço de um automóvel e este é negado. Atrapalham com trocas e baldrocas e, o preço nunca sai até terem toda a informação pessoal do cliente.
    Daqui não mamam nada!
    Tentando sair daquele ambiente, veio um vendedor reforçar a teimosia do outro que me atendia. Estou a falar de um indivíduo com mais de um metro e oitenta de altura e cerca de quatrocentas libras. Chegou-se, de papel e caneta na mão, para marcar dados pessoais, que também lhe foram negados, sem o preço do veículo pretendido ser declarado. "We don't do bussines like that.. " e saíu todo zangado, num gesto de expulsão para o freguês.
    Puta que o pariu! A ele e ao Al Vieira e a todos eles...

• Ta
      15th of Apr, 2010

These taters obviously dont know that all dealerships advertise the same way. They hire a advertising company to do the advertising for them. And if you understand business you wouldnt be posting nonsense that make you look foolish. Besides all of you people badmouthin one of the top 500 entrapeneaure companies are mostlike the people that dont pay your bills and couldnt get an approval from any banks. ###ING STIFFS

19th of Apr, 2010

Dear Tatermuff, Your comments are all wrong. You are the one who sounds like a paid advertiser. At least you must have ties with Empire in order to defend them so adamantly and irrationally. All dealerships are not the same; they do not all advertise the same way; they do not all have the high-pressure in-your-face sales tactics that Empire employs. After a terrible experience at Empire, I bought a the Mazda Galley in Norton where I found the car I wanted at the advertised price. With reference to your lame comment about complainants not paying bills, I can attest that I have no bills; I only pay cash and would have laid cash on the table at Empire if they were not engaged in deceptive advertising and high pressure bait-and-switch sales tactics. You should find something worth defending and then learn appropriate words with which to make a cogent defense.

• Mi
      15th of May, 2010

Hi People, we should all get together our voice is stronger united. Take all of our claimes to Hyundai itself. If they do not repremand Rick Torres in a meaningful fashion, than Hyundai should revoke his Franchise license. Than we will be heard. Option 2 stop driving Hyundais and drive the competitors vehicle.

My case,
    I was sold a 2006 Hyundai Sonata with roufghly 4000, miles on it for $18, 562.25 in 2008. I just got off the phone with the dealership manager Al Viera, he said the price was fair. Well Kelly Blue Book thinks the fair market value of a 2009 Hyundai Sonata with 4000 is valued at $17, 330.00. I asked him what he thought about that. He said he was not going to go there. I am waiting for Rick Torres to call me back. I am going to call the manufactor and the AJ perhaps. I was swindled by the finance manager and the dealership. Something needs to be done.

• El
      20th of May, 2010

Empire Hyundai is horrible!!! No one should ever go there!!!

I went in to take a look at a Hyundai Elantra Touring. I knew exactly what I wanted and how much I wanted to pay for it. I had financing through my credit union, but they told me they could at least match it. They took all my information and ran my credit. We eventually worked a month term and amount that I was ok with, so agreed to their financing, signed the paperwork and left. 4 days later I got a call the salesperson to come in and sign some paperwork. I asked what paperwork and he had no idea and wouldn't ask about it. I went in and was told that they couldn't get the deal they had worked out for me -- when I'm dealing with a company that offers their own financing and they run my credit, this should NEVER happen. They came back and increse my monthly payments by $50 a month. I couldn't afford that increase, and didn't want to pay that. So I was given 2 options - get my own financing (which I had told them I had from the beginning, but they swore they'd beat it and showed me paperwork to prove it) or return the car. So, they had already sold my trade-in to an independent dealer, so that was long gone. I was planning to return the car, but I got back in touch with my CU and worked the deal I had originally been promised by Empire.

My CU paid them immediately - the Tues after the Thursday I went in. It's been 4 weeks and they still haven't paid off my trade-in loan (that was with Hyundai). Now I have Hyundai Motor Finance calling me every few hours looking for the money and I have no info. I've called the finance manager at Empire Hyundai 5 times over the past 3 weeks and he hasn't returned any of my calls. So, now they're wrecking my near excellent credit because they aren't doing their part by paying off the loan they were paid to do 6 weeks earlier.

Empire Hyundai also registered my car. It's been 6 weeks and still no registration. After 3 weeks I was called to say that it was being processed (but they had no info on my Hyundai loan payoff). 2 weeks later I got another call saying it was done and to come pick it up. Since the dealership is 25 mintues away I asked that they mail it to me, and they agreed to. So now, another week later I called the finance manager again (who ducked my call) about the pay-off and also left a message about where my registration was and the receptionist told me it's sitting there waiting for me. Since I have no proof of the VIN I'm 2 weeks away from my insurance carrier canceling me. This is riduculous. If you tell me you're literally putting something in the mail - DO IT!

I've had a horrible experience with this dealership. I bought my previous Hyundai in NY from [censored]illo Hyundai and they were fantastic! I have sent 4 complaints to Hyundai about Empire Hyundai and haven't even received acknowledgement of them.

I'm frustrated and annoyed and I hope no one else ever uses them and has to deal with any of this!!!

Stay away from Empire Hyundai!!!

• Ri
      15th of Jun, 2010

I am the executive manager at this dealership and would like to provide my input on several of these issues here in this complaint blog.In regards to guaranteed credit it is true that Empire offers guaranteed credit as long as you have a job earn in exess of 1800.00 per month in gross income and have a down payment. For the consumers who have had some credit problems down paymnet and amount the bank will finance will be limited to 7000.00 and 2500.00 in cah or trade down.Empire will try to arrange financing at the best terms possible for the consumer.In regards to the selling price the automotiuve industry is very competative and Empire is one of the largest volume dealerships on the east coast retailing in over 18000 vehicles in the last ten years and having one of the best customer satisfaction ratings with the manufacturer.This being said Empire will beat or match any competative offer on any new Hyundai product or preowned vehicle in inventory and will do it with respect and great customer treatment.In regards to the negative comments someone has posted on this blog towards the consumers this is not supported by the management team here at Empire Hyundai.In regards to poor customer treatment please feel frre to call me at 508-673-7646 x101 at the dealership or you can e-mail me at rtorres@empirehyundai.com to discuss I will try to e-mail you from your postings and investigate your concerns.
    Rick Torres

18th of Oct, 2010

An open letter to Rick Torres:

I'm just writing to let you know that your professional liars treated my wife and I like a couple of idiots this morning. We came in looking for a specific vehicle, and naturally your boy tried to upsell us to a car that was two years newer than the one we were looking at. I have no problem with this, and I appreciated being shown other alternatives for my money. Things went south after my wife and I test drove a 2008 Hyundai Sonata.

It was at this point that things really turned a corner. Your sales rep asked me to "prove that I was a serious buyer" by giving him a blank check. When I said that wasn't going to happen, he said "Why not? Oh okay. Then how about your debit card or something, " as if I would let a stranger walk away with my debit card. He then said he would settle for my cellphone to show his manager that I'm a serious buyer. This can't be for real. Do people actually fall for this?

Now that I'm good and irritated from being treated like a chump, sales guy goes away and comes back with "tremendous news." Since he's my new friend he's going to sell me a car for 15k. That's right. 7k over the price advertised on the website. He's also going to give me 4k for my trade and when all is said and done, he's only going to charge me DOUBLE WHAT I JUST SPENT TWO HOURS TELLING HIM WAS MY MAX.

We were prepared to walk away, when the "sales manager, " who was probably just another momo in a suit came over like he's The Situation from Jersey Shore. He offered me 5k for my trade and said he would get us into the car for 179 a month. Again, we were more than clear about our price range, and that this exceeded what we were prepared to pay.

LETS NOT FORGET THAT THIS ISN'T THE CAR WE CAME TO LOOK AT.

The Situation then insulted me by telling me that "I couldn't buy an Accent for 7k" as if my money wouldn't spend the same as anyone else's money might.

On our way out the door, your "finance guy" (that's how he identified himself - as "duh finance guy") told us we would finance 9700 dollars. After a 5k trade-in and a 2000 down out of my pocket. On a car that your website advertises as 8999. Still not the car we came for, but nonetheless I am fuzzy on the math. 9700 + 5000 + 2000 = 8999?

Are you [censor]ing kidding me with this?

Your people never gave us a chance to consider the car that we drove an hour to look at. We were railroaded into something we didnt want, and now you get nothing. You could have had the easiest sale of your week, but instead you decided to greaseball it up. Way to go.

As for your reputed satisfaction ratings, that's with the brand and not with your dealership. Don't confuse the two. You have a franchise. You don't control the product. Hyundai does.

Anyway, thanks for the practice. I'm glad I decided to use your dealership and then throw you away like broken toys. I can't wait to tell ten million of my closest friends online what a bunch of [censor] your dealership is. Free feedback from a national sales leader in my corporation of some 300, 000 people - reputation is everything.

• Ra
      26th of Dec, 2010

Wow, I'm in the market NOW 12/26/10 for a car and I was considering a Hyundai but there is no way I'm going to waste my time even trying this place out. Buying a car sucks anyway only because of the (Lets make a deal) crap you have to go through. It takes the fun out of spending your hard earned money on a product I consider a piece of my freedom. Thanks for saving me and my wife the headache's.

14th of Jan, 2011

I wish i had read all this information before we went there. They also did a bait and switch to my husband and myself. Told me that this car i saw on their website was there and get there the next day and car is now gone but was told we have many others like that at the same price. Well the first ones they show us was 7 to 8000 thousand more then what i told them we were looking for. Gave us the keys to this car and now we want our money back and we will go somewhere else. Found out that if you want a used car go to Enterprise rental and they sell cars and the price you see is what you pay. No hassels like they are doing...I think we all need to get together and sue the hell out of them. I think we need a huge lawsuit and put them out of business. Let me know if your interested!!!

5th of Feb, 2011

empire hyundai sucks i went their for a recall to be fixed and spent thenext 3 hours trying to talk to the service mechanic while this guy tries to sell me a car i don't want andcant afford i have a perectly running car just came to get the recall checked out i didn't want a nissan. well he took my car around back and came back and said my whole frame is rotted, is not safe to drive, and could not get an inspection sticker but i just got one last week and everything was fine. well i sneaked over to the service machanic when the sales man was crunching numbers or taking a nap well what ever they do in that room and asked the machanic he told me my car never went in their and he didn't ever look at it or tell the sales man it was unsafe so i got an appointment monday to get it fixed that was like pulling teeth the mechanic was nice and did his job

• Je
      11th of Mar, 2011

Omg! We were about to head to Empire Hyundai this weekend to buy a new car. So glad we read these posts beforehand. We will NOT be spending our money there now! We saw their over-the-top newspaper ads and were a bit suspicious...you've all confirmed our worst fears. Thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences.

• Be
      13th of Mar, 2011

I am heading there Monday to look. I usually base my opinions on my own experience. I am alot brighter to these salesman and on their best day could never win me over. I sold cars while in college and was very honest with people. I know all the tricks. I am willing to pay cash for any car up to $20, 000 so when I go there I will are how they treat me not knowing who I am or my financial situation. So beware Monday folks or any other day. All the dealerships will match or offer the same price. I am
    110 % positive you will hate me more than I will hate you when I leave.

• He
      19th of Aug, 2011

i went to Empire Hyundai over the last few weeks. Everything said on these comments were true. Plus the sales man that I had, when I gave him my $3000 down payment, he faked the reciepts and new sales agreement, everything and pocketed my cash. Rick Torres said hes "going to look into it" but they are not giving me my money back. DONT GIVE THIS PLACE YOUR BUSINESS.

• Do
      18th of Sep, 2011

I b ought a car that was sold by Empire Hyuandai to the dealership I bought from. Guess what! It was a rental...and was told it wasn't AND had a whole new front end! The attorney general, senators of my state and State Investigators are now involved. Can't wait to see how this turns out.