Elavon / Merchant Processing Services

1 14 Commerce Place, St Catherines, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 905-684-8867

We signed up with and started processing with Tangarine Payment Solutions in October 2009. They had given us a rate of 1.61% plus some various charges for different cards but netted out to approx 1.8%, still a better deal than previous. Our rate for November still stayed @ 1.8% but in the middle of the statement stated "EFFECTIVE IN 30 DAYS, YOUR PROCESSING FEES WILL CHANGE FOR QUALIFICATION DOWNGRADES, MONTHLY MINIMUMS, AUTHORIZATION PER ITEM FEES, AND CHARGEBACK FEES. PLEASE CHECK NEXT MONTH'S STATEMENT FOR THE NEW FEES. THANK YOU FOR SELECTING ELAVON FOR YOUR MERCHANT PROCESSING SERVICES."
Our December Statement arrived (Next month's statement) with no visible increases. It still worked out to appx 1.8%. Then our January 2010 statement shows up with a whopping fee increase in excess of $ 900.00 and equating to 3.25%. This increased our fee 76%. I have not been able to get any response from Tangerine Payment Solutions or Elavon. One agent said that they were losing money on our account and had to increase fees. How do you fight crap like this?

Comments

• Ho
      5th of Mar, 2010

lets file a class action law suit! How do we start one?

• Ps
      17th of Mar, 2010

We have experience nothing but the runaround at Tangerine. We have been trying to get a solution to our problem since October last year!! Promises to have someone call back are never kept. I phone them at least once a week and get no where with them! Elavon is just as bad. Elavon tells me its a Tangerine issue, Tangerine tells me its an Elavon issue. IM FED UP! A class action law suit??!! We are in!

• Ca
      19th of Apr, 2010

We are having the same kind of problems. WE signed for a rate of 1.61% and 5 months later they increased to more than 50%. I have tried for 4 months to get them to change it. So far they want us to sign a new agreement with an increase. I do not think is right!! If there is a class action we are in.. They never answer the faxes or the calls...I am telling everyone not to do business with them...If anyone has a better idea please let me know...

Carmen
    Laval, Quebec

• Th
      4th of May, 2010

I wish I had found this website before I signed a contract with Elavon/Tangarine! I am having the same problem with both Tangarine and Elavon. I originally signed up with a 1.61% commission promised and they raised it to 4.20%!! I have been fighting with them for months and I am getting extremely frustrated. Promises to call back, promises to fix the problem - it doesn't happen. As they have access to our bank accounts, they just take whatever they want. I feel helpless against this big monster! I didn't realize there were so many other businesses taken in by this pirate company. It doesn't make me feel better better but perhaps we can fight them together. If there is a class action law suit - count me in!

• Fr
      13th of May, 2010

Same story as everyone here. The problems I have had with Tangerine are much longer than I can list here. They are a phantom company that is all smiles and promises and sooooo helpful and responsive before you sign the contract, but once you sign that piece of paper they rear their ugly head and then dissappear and will not stand up and awnser to their actions.

And now on top of it I see they are charging another "one time fee" of 99.00 to upgrade some kind of PCI compliance Bull...! Basically they are stealing money from our bank account without authorization...any time...any amount they like. I as well wish I found this website before. If your reading this and are having problems with Tangerine please add your experience here. If people keep adding complaints here perhaps a class action suit truly can happen against these [censor].

• Sn
      20th of May, 2010

Thats what they do...The best company in this regard is Moneris Solutions..They dont change their rates and their Sales Reps are very nice and friendly..and are always there to help out their customers.

• El
      28th of May, 2010

Horrible company. I signed up with Elavon through CollecitvePOS. I'd be in with a class-action lawsuit myself.
    Not only do they decide on a whim to re-open chareback disputes, but their customer service goes nowhere. I've been charged too many times for mistakes, and they are charging me way more on fees than what was agreed to. I want out of my contract but I'm afraid to cancel with their horrendous cancellation fees. I think I might just close my bank account on them.

• Fo
      8th of Jun, 2010

We have an stop payments, the machine is out, Now I will payback the same way,
    I won't answer phone calls, in a long time, if they want their obsolete machine they have to pay for the devolution, they make my life miserably and they make us suffer. now we are doing the same.

• Or
      19th of Jun, 2010

I have same problem with this company, , almost having heart attack..they don, t return my call..steeling money from my account...bad bad service...fraud on my contract( i signed for 0 month of contract==any time can cancel) now they send me copy of 60 month or $1000 penalty)..I can not believe in Canad this kind company are aloud to Kroc people and nobody can do anything i have to stop pay this nightmare company..if anybody taking a legal action pls let me know.

7th of Jul, 2010

You dont fight it, mastercard and visa reevalute theit fee in april and october of each year, if the fee's increase, they pass those increases along

7th of Jul, 2010

I guarantee none of you stupid complainers took the 5 - 10 minutes it would take to read your contract, if you had, you wouldnt be complaining because you would see that you agreed to everything

• Su
      7th of Jul, 2010

Tangerine and Pivotal solutions are both not recommended by me, I have four of them at my four Subway restaurants. I am currently stuck with them after signing 5 year contract. I was fooled by their attractive rates but their service is so poor that if you need to contact customer service via their phone line, it is almost impossible. I have tried differnet times of the day to check if any particular time has more availability but got nowhere. Their hardware terminal Ingenico also has issues, their software is not stable at all. Their chip slot does not work, they have been trying to write a software update that would allow them to use this feature, that is available from other providers for many years now. I would never recommend them for any merchant processing solutions. I would rather pay a little higher processing fees and not worry about the downtime.

• Di
      12th of Jul, 2010

Tangerine has changed their name to Pivotal Payments. Geez what a surprise!

Hey complaining crybaby
    - the contract does NOT state that the rates will mysteriously go up after a few months.
    - The contract Does not state that different rates for auth and non auth cards are compounded together.
    - The contract does NOT state that Pivotal or Tangerine or whoever they are will cut off all communication and refuse to anwser or return any customer service calls.
    - The contract does NOT state that their machines are junk as well as their gift cards which are non functional.

25th of Jul, 2010

i have no clue about tangerine, they are not elavon.

25th of Jul, 2010

people really need to get educated about credit cards and how they qualify. some card automatically downgrade because of the tye of cards they are, such as corporate and commercial cards. also foreign cards always downgrade. they fall to a non qualified rate, which is your highest rate and is usually somewhere between 3 - 5% but can be as high as 5 - 7%. to the poster who said the rates were raised 76%, they weren't, you just had alot of sales that downgraded. also doing things like not settling your batch the same day, keying a card instead of swiping it, and if your a mail order/ telephone order or internet merchant if the address information doesn't match or if you don't ship the order within 7days, these are all things that can cause transaction to downgrade. You guys would really do yourselves a favot by learning more about how cards qualify. Also lookup the 2009 Interchange Qualification Guide, there's some really good info in there

25th of Jul, 2010

the pharaoh, they didn't raise your rates, 4.20 is you non qualified rate i can almost guarantee and you probably just had alot of sales that downgraded. Your rates are states in your contract, which you should always read, just dont trust the sales person to tell you because they're only going to quote you the qualified rate. Also guys, if your not happy with your rates you can always ask for a rate review, as long as you haven't had one in the past 6 months, and they will look at your rates and see if they can lower them. I hope that some of this is helpful

• Ar
      6th of Aug, 2010

To Complaining cry baby and anyone else who is interested. I have been a moneris solutions machine holder for over 12 years and considered switching to tangerine due to their good introductory offers. I do not have a complaint about the service of tangerine because I did my due diligence and read enough to know that no one should switch to this company. Luckily for us we were turned off by tangerines aggressive sales force which called me on an average 4 or 5 times a day. However i would like to point out to complaining crybaby and anyone else talking out of there a-- that I have never heard of different levels of credit cards when it comes to the visa and MC charges and I suspect that it is some bs excess to charge the pos holder more money. Moneris Solutions has one rate for visa and MC and that's all you ever pay. I can not believe I almost changed companies as it obviously would have been a huge mistake. If any of you idiots that want to defend misleading and fruadulant business practices want to contact me I will be happy to discuss this matter with you at [protected]@rogers.com . For everyone else I suggest you do your homework and stay away from companies like tangerine or whatever they call themselves

• Da
      2nd of Sep, 2010

I am using Moneris Solutions for 2.5 years. The rates stayed the same since I signed the contract to be 1.59% Visa 1.69% Master. They both just increased by 0.30% which I think it's acceptable. They have the best services ever, very responsive and helpful.

Tangerine called almost every month. The way they talked always sound sneaky to me.

"Hi my name is Casandra from Merchant Processing Service"
    "Okay"
    "We are here to doule check if you already have the 30% maximu reduction on the rates you are supposed to take advantage of. May I know what are the rates you have right now?"
    "(as careful as I always am) I don't havemy statement here. What are the rates you can offer me"
    "We can't really tell you what the rates are unless you can fax us the last page of your statement of your current company"
    "Which company are you?"
    "We are Tangerine Merchant Services Provider"

First, the word "double check" bothers me. Either you know or you don't know if I have the 30% reduction. "Double check" doesn't sound convincing.

Second, asking the rates we are having. This only happens to those companies who are not sure of their products. When I got a call from Moneris Solutions, right away to the point: "we can offter you these rates". Direct and honest.

Third, asking for personal statements. They are trying to get some ideas of how my company is doing and also to know about the advantages that Moneris gave us.

Notice also they did not present themselves as "Tangerine" but only "Merchant Processing Services".

I don't think I have to actually use their services to know how sneaky and fed up this company is... I strongly suggest small business owners to carefully make your choices and not jump into a trap with the hope of saving up a few cents! Go with some more trusted companies such as Moneris or banks. It's worth it eventho it might be a little bit more expensive.

• Ji
      30th of Oct, 2010

Law suit ? I'm all in ! Elavon just froze my merchant account AND took all of my money from all of my Oct. transactions to put in to what they call a reserve account. I had a customer place a charge back on my account for approx $4000.00 for no good reason and Elavon took that money out of my bank account instantly without any notification what so ever and now they say that I can keep taking customers credit cards but the funds will not go into my bank until their reserve account is satisfied, and I can't even find out from them what that amount is ?? I have called several times and the one and only person that handles these issues is never there, but will call back, Ya right. I'm thinking of just closing my bank account and may even change banks to stop the bleeding. I just heard of a merchant service co. in Scottsdale AZ. named Merchant Service Solutions and they offer the world ?????? I have to take credit cards but I do not trust any of them! I think they are all BANK ROBBERS!

• Si
      5th of Nov, 2010

Tangerine just called me inviting me to switch from Moneris to their service.
    I figured I'd Google them first. Glad I did. Thanks for posting here.
    I think I'll stick with Moneris.