eHarmony / unfair controlling of number of matches

United States Review updated:

My primary complaint is not with their personality/features matching system because many different sites just have certain flaws in the matches. I accept that.

My main complaint has to do with the number of matches. When I first signed up, I got approximately 15-20 matches. The next day, about 10. Following day another 12, etc. So I would say on average, I receive 10-15 matches every day.

Now, to me this seems skeptical. They boast over 15 million members. I understand that after I filter down to location, etc, it segments that 15 million a bit. But then again, I live in LA - one of the most densely populated cities in the country, so I would say there are probably over 1,000-5,000 people that meet my criteria (I put "No Preference" to almost everything). How do I know this? Well I tried almost every other site, and on average there were over 1,000 matches at least when I searched at any given time. So on the low end, there should be at least 1,000 matches to my criteria when I first signed up.

So the part where this is very deceptive business practice is because I pay on subscription model - meaning I pretty much pay for every day I am on the service. At $59, it's almost $2 per day. So if you do the math, let's say in their database there are 1,000 people that match me, and if they only send me 10-15 every day, it'll take me at least 3 months to view those 1,000 people! And that's just assuming that there are only 1,000...there could be 10,000!

It seems to me they are doing some sort of scam. I can understand that if the first day I sign up, I get like 500 matches, and then as time goes by, I slowly get less and less. But nope, I started off with 20, and it's been consistently 10-15 every day. These matches are not manually done (if so, I can understand the limit of only a certain amount of matches can be done every day cause it's by manual human labor). But nope - it is done by computer. And if you run one query, it should return ALL matches...not just 10-15.

This is deceptive and a scheme to draw you in more for longer subscriptions. It's like me joining Netflix and saying "I like only Horror Movies" and then only being shown my selection of horror movies 1o movies at a time. I should have complete access to all my matches. And for them to say that I have only 20 matches the very first day, and 10 new ones happen to pop up every day is completely false.

I'm saying class-action lawsuit here cause this practice affects EVERYONE on eharmony.com

Comments

Ke
  9th of Jan, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I kept getting matched with people who were in relationships or no longer dating. This was after I had been a member for some time. Why would someone not interested in dating sign up for eHarmony? My guess is it took eHarmony several months to get around to matching me with that person, by which time they were no longer looking. Gee thanks. They are not getting another dime out of me and if I knew a lawyer, I'd seriously consider suing.
Fr
  11th of Mar, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I recieved almost no matches until my subscription was two weeks from being over. Then they sent me several matches, all of which almost immediately broke off communicationwith me without giving me a chance.

Eharmony is a joke, a fraud, a complete waste of time and I support anyone bringing a class-aciton lawsuit against them.
Jo
  17th of Mar, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I could no have said it better myself, the only thing I would add was if you do select some limitations they should be honored and the flexible match garbage is a falesy too - if you have so many members WHY would you go outside the perameters set by the CLIENT!
Ga
  5th of Jul, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
E harmony matched me with nothing but out of date people, those who were not even looking any longer and those who did not match critical match material. If and when a class action sue is filed I will certainly enlist, EHARMONY IS A SHAME
Ju
  5th of Dec, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Im not concerned with the number of matches just the communication. I only recieved communications from people 1 week before my subscription ended. After renewing I never heard from that match again. Coincidence I think not.

eHarmony Logo eHarmony