Easy Life Furniture / 20% restocking fee

September 3,2006

I bought a couch from Easy Life Furniture that I loved, but when it was delivered the couch wouldn't fit up my stairs. I was really disappointed and called the store right away to let them know that it was coming back and they said there would be a 20% restocking fee. I was really mad and told them it wasn't my fault the couch wouldn't fit and I loved the couch and didn't want to have it returned and I did not want to pay the 20% fee. No one cared there or at their corporate office. I talked to the "supervisor' of customer service at corporate which was a joke along with their whole corporate office, I left a message and of course no one called back.

This was in the Torrance, CA store on Artesia Blvd., very unfriendly store manager and sales people. Once they get a sale they are not willing to help you at all. There could have been an exception to the 20% fee, I was going to spend more money and get a smaller couch and other things I needed to get.

This company is terrible it has the worst customer service I have received in a long time. Actually, they have no customer service at all, customer service entiles to serving the customer and making them happy if they want to continue to have their business. Other companies do not have this restocking fee, I know Wickes Furniture does not.

I am still mad as hell, but it is a lesson learned.

Andrea

Comments

• Rh
      25th of May, 2007

I know the company and the people who work there, you just dealt with a bad person. you can't blame the company. also, almost all places like that have restocking fees, that is just part of buying furniture. Wickes may not have one, but their furniture is crap and way to expensive.

• Ed
      29th of Aug, 2007

All furniture stores have a restocking fee. And anyone buying furniture should know the dimensions of their home. You can't expect all the work up to delivery to be free when it doesn't fit.

• Me
      7th of Nov, 2007

I too know the people and the company bit only because their customer service SUCKS! I have had such a horrible experience with customer service. Easy Life has made my life anything but easy.

I rightfully paid for my extended warranty yet they can't schedule a simple delivery, there are no follow up phones call that are made and they conveniently forget to call their customers of any cancellations.

Here is a snippet of what I have been going though for 4 months now.

- Upon delivery our warranty which we paid for was not included. We called to simply ask for it be mailed and that was asking for too much. After getting the run-around, we talked to the manager and he arranged for it to be mailed. A week later turns out it never left the mail room. My mother-in-law had to pick it up.

- A month later the couch breaks. Turned out there was a crack in the main supporting beam. We scheduled a pick-up and it was cancelled without notice so we spent 4 hours for nothing. When we did call we were told we had been taken of the drivers route. Apparently Easy Life avoids their paying customers and hopes that they can figure stuff out on their own.

Like I said, this is only a snippet of all the hell I have experienced from Easy* Life Furniture.
    I still am waiting for them to pick up my couch (great just weeks before Thanksgiving, I can guarantee I won't see my couch or hear any updates anytime before then).

All I can say is really do your research on any company you are planning to deal with.

Easy Life does have cheap prices and nice furniture but pray nothing ever happens because it is time consuming and emotionally frustrating dealing with a non customer-satisfaction driven company. "Just here to make the sale" should be their slogan.

• Ka
      6th of Jan, 2008

I think Mr. and Mrs. Jones who know the people at Easy Life are related to each other and each wrote a seperate positive opinion - which I respect though disagree with based on my own experience.

I had a recliner delivered on Wednesday. It is now Saturday and the reclining mechanism no longer works. I purchased it from their Bellflower showroom. When I call they tell me that my purchase is "as is." However, my recliner was new - it came in a package and the sales person specifically told me that what I was buying was new and in a package unlike most of the furniture in the Bellflower warehouse which had been showroom furniture at their other stores. I explained that based on California law, purchased merchandise for home use is supposed to be fit for use. Further, there was another recliner - not the one I purchased - in the showroom that did not work. I asked the salesperson if the recliners were prone to break, hence the low price. He told me no, said that the recliner that I thought was not broken was indeed working but that the lever was just stuck, and told me that the recliner sofa I would be getting was new and packaged. Anyway, I did not want a refund just to exchange my sofa for one that reclined as it should. It has only been 3 days after all. After arguing with the manager he agreed but told me I would have to drive the sofa in myself and pick up the other one and could not pay extra for them to do the delivery. He gave me the corporate customer service line to see if they would agree to ALLOW ME TO PAY EXTRA to have my sofa picked up and a working reclining one delivered. The customer service at corporate would not even let me finish explaining what occured without interrupting and saying "you bought it as is" even if you bought it new. I asked to speak to a customer service manager that would at least let me ask my question - I had already received the okay from another manager for the exchange. She then said they could not arrange a delivery for me even if I paid extra - I would have to talk to the manager that said he would exchange it. So in a way they were giving with one hand and taking with another. I basically will have to hire a mover and a uhaul to do the pick up (over $150). I had paid Easy Life $65 for the delivery originally and was willing to pay this much more. At this point, I am not sure if I should pay $150 to hire a mover and truck to have another reclining sofa that might break in 3 days more!

Their customer service was awful. I had recommended them to my sister and my friend who were both looking for nice and inexpensive furniture. I called them today and warned them - made sure they stayed away.

• Ro
      7th of Jan, 2009

When you purchase "As is" you take the chance of damage, defect etc. like they say you get what you pay for, just like if you buy a car "As is" you take it with whatever work that might come with it!! Buyer’s remorse can be avoided if you pay alittle extra money for something with a warranty. you cant expect to pay nothing for something!!

• Na
      7th of Feb, 2009

I purchased a sofa and love seat from Easy Life in Oxnard, CA last Sunday and had it scheduled to be delivered today, Saturday, 2/7/09. By early Saturday afternoon I became concerned as I had moved my old cloth couch and love seat outside to facilitate the move of my new furniture, and it had sat out in the rain for 2 days. I also had a birthday party scheduled for my daughter that evening. When I called Easy Life to check on the delivery I was told that they had my address in a city 30 miles away. They also said they were missing one digit on my home phone number, but didn't try calling my work phone number when they couldn't figure out the missing digit on my phone number. Then they told me they didn't have anyone who could deliver to my city. After all, I only gave them a 3 1/2 window to let them know their salesman wrote the wrong city, zip code and phone number after having me dilligently filling out their forms myself with my correct address and phone numbers. I would have to wait until the following Thursday for delivery. I am having a party tonight with no living room furniture, except tables. I then asked for my money back. She told me that since I paid by check it would take 10-14 days. The money was taken immediately from my checking account due to their payment system by check (they actually run it then and give you your check back), and with the internet being what it is, it could have easily been proven immediately. Now I have no furniture and no money to buy elsewhere, and soggy wet furniture sitting in my front yard. I wish I had checked online before buying from them. Hopefully I can save someone else from the same type of fiasco.

• El
      17th of Feb, 2009

ESTOS SON MENSOS VATOS, QUE NO TEHNING CABAZA DE BURRO NO SON BUENO POR NATHA SON HOTOS.. EL CHOLITO DE MICHOCAN NOT MICHIGAN GRINGO BUT A GREASEY BURRITO

• Xx
      21st of Feb, 2009

ok, i agree that their service may be faulty every now and then, it cant always be perfect and bad things do happen. But here's what you say " I was really mad and told them it wasn't my fault the couch wouldn't fit and I loved the couch and didn't want to have it returned and I did not want to pay the 20% fee". so you're mad, ok, you want the couch in but it wouldn't fit. whose fault is it? YOURS. because you didnt take the measurements. If you had bothered to read the sales agreement you would have seen that it clearly says that the customer is responsible with the measurements. signing the waiver is when customers like you insist to have the sofa in when it just wouldn't go, and any possible damage foreseen by drivers would be your fault, because you've been warned about it. that's because you dont want to return it. and to move on, 20% restocking fee again is part of the agreement, why contest it? you agreed and signed that. i did read my paperwork, why doesn't everybody do the same responsible act? it's that simple: don't buy if you don't like the terms of the sale. But at least get to know them!!

• Ar
      11th of Oct, 2010

I have had the worst customer service experience in my life with easy life furniture. It has been three weeks of hell after I made my purchase. No one seems to be taking any kind of responsibility for my furniture not being delivered and the Los Angeles district manager will not call me back.

In my case: They could not deliver a couch up my stairs because they ( a contracted delivery service) did not have the proper equipment. I called Easy Life Furniture (Northridge, CA) and they told me they would schedule another delivery date with another company who would be "equipped" to make the delivery. One week later Easy Life Furniture has the nerve to send back the exact same two people with once again nothing in their hands. They didn't even take the couch off the truck this time because the delivery guys knew it wouldn't fit up the stairs. What did Easy Life Furniture expect would happen if they sent the exact same scenario to my door step!? Even the delivery men told me "I have no idea what we are doing here. I told them it wasn't going to fit". There is obviously a miscommunication with Easy Life Furniture and the Company they hire to make delivery's. So The guys leave and tell me the only way they can deliver it is by using a hoist (exact same thing they told me last time). They said their delivery company would charge $145.00 extra to use a hoist. I am so frustrated at this point So I said OK I will pay it. I tell Easy Life Furniture that i will pay for them to use a hoist just to get this thing done and Easy Life Furniture tells me the delivery company said "they could not use a host to deliver the couch". They blatantly lied to me and neither party would take any kind of responsibility for what they had said to me. Out of more frustration i said "I'm tired of all this professionalism can you please just drop the couch off in my garage and i will figure it our myself!" This is the best part, After I gave up and said "fine just put the couch in my garage" They told me they were going to charge me an extra $90.00 to bring the couch to my house again! As a company how can you allow your employees to take advantage of people this way? This type of behavior needs to be reported and documented. There are so many more respectful furniture companies out there what ever you do DO NOT USE EASY LIFE FURNITURE the next time you make a purchase. Their customer service department had so many chances to make this right if they would have just payed some attention to my matter I would have been happy even after the first incident.

I am going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau ( http://www.la.bbb.org/ComplaintInformation.aspx ) and I encourage you to do the same. There corporate office really needs to make smarter hiring decisions unless they are OK with mistreating their customers. If you had a bad experience like the one I'm having at this moment then FILE A COMPLAINT today. Easy Life Furniture does not care about you, all they care about is making the initial sale. After that you are on your own.

FYI: i work in SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and when ever you make a complaint online make sure you refer to their full company name like this: "Easy Life Furniture" . It helps search engines like Google pull these complaints when people search for Easy Life Furniture online. That way people know about Easy Life Furniture and the way they do business. If they continue to ignore my problem or don't make it right I am going to destroy their Google ranking. wait and see ;) I will build blogs, forums, and websites dedicated to Easy Life Furniture's incompetence.

• To
      8th of Jul, 2013

PURCHASED A BLACKJACK AND MONTE SOFA THE SAME DAY. DECENT SERVICE UP FRONT. DELIVERED A MONTH LATER. TURNS OUT THERES A PROBLEM WITH ONE OF THE RECLINERS ON THE BLACKJACK. THE OTHER PROBLEM WAS THE MONTE, IT WAS WAY TO BIG FOR THE ROOM.I WAS FIRST TOLD THERE WAS A 20% RESTOCKING FEE, THEN BY THE SAME STORE MGR.(ROBERT) AN HOUR LATER 20% WENT TO 60%. AT THAT MOMENT I REALIZED THERE WAS GOING TO BE A STUGGLE.A FEW DAYS LATER WE CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THE COMPANY WAS NOT GOING TO BE THERE FOR US. YES I KNOW IM SHOUTING, BECAUSE IM PISSED OFF. THIS COMPANY DOESNT GIVE TWO ### ABOUT THEIR GUESTS!!! WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR EASY COMPANY TO SCHEDULE DRIVERS TO COMPLETE THIS NIGHTMARE. BY THE WAY THE MONTE SOFAS ARE TWO DIFFERENT COLORS. COFFEE TABLE WOBBLES, ROBERT HAS ONLY CONTACTED ME ONCE IN ALL OF THIS. DEFFINETLY TWO THUMBS DOWN.