Doubleday Book Club / fraud

1 VA, United States Review updated:

Fraudulent charge on my credit card, I reported as fraud yet they keep trying to bill me, now they have turned me over to a collection agency located in India

Comments

• Le
      24th of Nov, 2008

They keep sending books to me although I did not make any order, I even cannot remember when I take part in their club. where they steal my information.

• Do
      10th of Apr, 2009

they sent me books, i never ordered via US post office and they faudulent charged my account, i alerted my bank and i m waiting for the result of this investigation .
    everybody should check their bank account if they receipt their books. thanks

26th of Apr, 2009

should i buy books from them?

• Ml
      8th of Jun, 2009

I have experienced the same problem with them. They sent me a book that I never ordered, and then a few weeks later I received an invoice for this book. I called them and they said "if you don't want to pay for the book, then send it bakc to us". Unfortunately, I had thrown away the book so I decieded to pay (which was a big mistake). Now I just noticed that they charged 2 x 250 $ on my credit card !!! NEVER BUY BOOKS OR EVEN COMMUNICATE WITH THIS COMPANY !!! IT'S A RIP OFF !!!

• Te
      21st of Nov, 2009

wow- i just got a call from a collection agency and the caller had an Indian accent. He told me I had ordered books and had a delinquent account. I haven't ordered anything from a book club. I told him to show me the proof!!

• Te
      21st of Nov, 2009

They must be stealing information. I never have given any banking info to them, so thankfully they can't charge me for what i didn't order. I think this is a desperate ploy to get people to hand over cash in fear of delinquency. if it's a small amount, then people might just pay it to get rid of the calls. This has to be illegal!!

• St
      9th of Nov, 2010

FRAUD! My cc number got stolen (saw several fraudulent charges) a few of them being from Doubleday Book Club. I received several shipments that I did NOT order and got charged for it. They obviously are using stolen credit card information. I refused all the deliveries and never opened any of the boxes. So I don't know their contact info. Their web site www.doubledaybookclub.com does not list a customer service phone number (RED FLAG). I had never even heard of this company before and they attack identity theft victims. Terrible practices, no matter how you look at it. DO NOT DO business with this company. There are other book e-tailers out there.

• Kd
      10th of Nov, 2010

I started receiving packages from Double Day Book Club and History Book Club. I have never ordered with these companies, never signed up with them. They sent invoices, and charged my credit card. I noticed the books were VERY heavy. The amounts charged were minimal. My thoughts are that they stole my credit card information, and that their scam is to mail very HEAVY books to the fraud victim and then threaten to send the victim to collections if they don't pay.

I believe they want to make it SOOO inconvenient for us to have to mail these books back (AND pay for the expensive postage!) that consumers just drop it and pay.

Around the same time, I also had charges to my acct from skype and Flirty Fitness.

I mailed them a letter letting them know i have done my research and know my rights. Google Fair Debt Protection Practices Act.

• Pr
      17th of Jun, 2011

Imagine my surprise after receiving an email from Doubleday stating that I had not fulfilled my requirement of ordering 4 books. (Last year, I received an email from them stating I still had one book left to order towards my commitment.) Called the 717 number listed above, asking for an audit of all the books I'd ordered since joining. Oddly enough, Doubleday doesn't keep order histories beyond 18 months. Really? A book club that almost insists upon everything being done virtually, and they don't have the capacity to keep order histories? I'm hoping I've saved that earlier email, stating that I have one book left...but if I didn't save it, I'll play their silly game. The email they sent has an order form on it. I'll simply mail it in and insist that they bill me as, oddly enough, I don't have the capacity to keep track of my credit card...which forced me to report it as lost/stolen...thereby canceling it. Seems to me, if they have no way of proving how many books you've ordered, how can they know how much you owe? And why hasn't a class action lawsuit been filed against these idiots?

• Al
      5th of Oct, 2011

When I enrolled it was my understanding that if I decined that month's featured selections - I would not have my bank account depleted. It doesn't matter if you decline or not - they have stolen $45 - $46 every time. It is also stated that the selections will be offered every 3 wks. Since when did 3 weeks become 10 or 11 days? In my mind, my bank account should only have been accessed 3 times in 63 days. Instead, it's been accessed 3 times in 35 days. Stay away from this company - they are liars, and theives. I have called, gotten it stopped at my bank (they just changed the accout # and started stealing again), written cancel on every item they send when I return it unopened. Nothing works! I guess the next step is to close my bank account. Thanks for all the extra charges, and now the monumental task of changing everything. Maybe then it will stop.