Direct Energy / incompetent customer service/technicians

1 PO Box 650Scarborough Toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-266-3939

My husband and I have been embroiled in a battle with Direct Energy for over a week, and I was wondering if anyone on your staff would be interested in doing some investigative journalism.

It started with our hot water tank being replaced on October 15th, which was done very quickly, but six days later the unit started to make horrible noises in our basement. We called Direct Energy right away and a technician was dispatched to fix the problem. We were told that the installers did a poor job and that the piping to our hot water tank had already cracked and that the interior insulation was soaked through because of their mistake. Since last Tuesday (October 21st) we have been without hot water and because our furnace is attached to our hot water tank, we also have been without heat. My husband took Thursday off work because he was told that the new system would be installed during the day, but the technicians did not show up until almost 9pm. When they arrived they did not have the right hot water tank.

Needless to say we have been on the phone with the very polite customer service representatives many times, but feel that since they have a monopoly that they do not care that we have not had neither heat, nor hot water since the 21st.

We were told today that new installers would be at our home by 8am, but it was not until almost 2pm when my husband phoned, that we were told that our new hot water tank was not even at their warehouse.

I think the lack of accountable and honest customer service by large companies such as Direct Energy would be a great story to cover. Not only do they hold their customers hostage since we don't have a choice as to service providers, but their lack of communication between their departments has forced us into a very cold limbo.

Je

Comments

• Je
      25th of Oct, 2008

20th of Nov, 2008

We had a hot water heater installed in August by Direct Energy and also a new furnace on October 15. The city inspector was out on November 7th, and found infractions on the venting for both. After numerous calls to Direct Energy, to find out when these issues will be resolved, we still have heard nothing from them. I guess it is easy for them to take our money, but not so easy for them to follow up on a complaint. Not even so much a complaint, as a failed code inspection. When I called the city to make sure the failure was recorded on their system they confirmed that it was. I called Direct Energy, and all I get is the call Center. They are very polite, and try to help by sending e-mails to the district office to encourage a callback, however, have still heard nothing. There is no way to get in touch with the local office, and so I feel frustrated that their follow-up is so poor.

• Ju
      2nd of Jun, 2009

I guess I was lucky that my replacement of a Polaris water heater that handles heating my condo as well as the hot watr only took 3 days without heat & hot water to replace in the middle of winter. The new supposedly much better energy efficient model whines with a terrible noise and uses as much gas as the previous 14 year old model did! BUT the worst is that my rental bill with NO WRITTEN NOTICE contrary to the rental contract wording, went from $31, 00 a month to $53.00 the next month and then 2 months later (March) to the current double amount of $62.00 ($760.00 a year). Calls to supervisors did no good and a letter to the president, passed on to the executive offices complaint person also has achieved nothing. She said it was up to the Direct Energy installers to inform me that when you get a new rental water heater replacement, they should tell you of the increase! What a terrible company and there is no other company that handles these dual Polaris water heater rentals.