Digital River / double billing

United States Review updated:
Digital River
I recently upgraded/updated my Norton Anti Virus service. I received an email w/my order number etc. I was charged.$48.98. I received a second charge 3 days later for the same amount from www.DRI*Digitalriver.com or myord.com. The second charge was not authorized by me. Somebody has got to put a stop to this nonsense or ripping people off and double billing. I am thoroughly discusted at this company.

N  31st of Oct, 2008 by
did not order
A  11th of Apr, 2009 by
The same thing happen to me!!!
N  15th of Aug, 2009 by
Digital River does an "auto renew" on your Norton software for annual renewals. You did not ask for this and it is very difficult to turn off and get a refund.

Buy Norton Software from anyone who DOES NOT LINK to Digital River and you will be buying from someone who cares and can help you.

Hint: Do not click on PPC ads on search engines. Most of those are "sock puppets" of Digital River.
A  29th of Aug, 2009 by
I just purchased "Roxio" software, but it went through Digital River. AVOID THEM. The software simply would not download. When I went to their tech support page, they provide it only if you PAY FOR IT.

I called customer service (good luck getting the number) and waited a long time to get a different number. I called the new number and waited and got someone who could not speak clear English and did not seem to understand the problem. He told me that there had been a mistake but it was now fixed so I could download the software...but I could not.

Since the back up CD had not shipping, I asked if I would get t full refund if I cancelled. He put me on hold for a very long time and then said "yes" - but they only refunded partially. They did not refund s/h fees and, amazingly, they did not refund STATE TAX! They cost me many hours and I suggest you avoid all products sold via digital river...look closely to see who you are dealing with
A  25th of Oct, 2009 by
Same Here. I used the Ultimate Steal to buy windows 7. i bought all the service, DVD shipments, and warranty on the download. The download worked fine, but then they double billed me for everything. I am going to call, and demand that since they double billed me, they give me a second copy of windows 7.
N  6th of Dec, 2009 by
On my credit card statement I was double billed for PC Tools by Digital River, charging me 29.95 twice on the same day. PC Tools was able to credit me back for the subscription since I no longer needed it and gave me the phone number to Digital River 1-800-406-4966 to contact them about the second billing. The representative for Digital River, a woman named Jac, denied it was a double charge stating it was a authorization only, even though I had the credit statement in front of me.
I contacted my credit card company who confirmed the double billing and filed a Case Dispute against Digital River.
Upon calling them back, another Rep still denied the double charge. I told him I had filed a Case Dispute Against their company. Suddenly he wanted me to Fax my statement to him. No way was I sending them personal financial information, gave him the dispute number to give to his so called 'Escalation Department'.
I plan on filing with the better business bureau against them as well.
A  15th of Dec, 2009 by
Digital River submitted a charge against my credit card this Nov 24, 2009. The charge was rejected by VISA because Digital River used the wrong expiration date (for my card). I had updated my CC expiration date in Oct 2008. I think they acquired my CC info in Aug 2008 when I made an online purchase from Microsoft. In my case, Digital River's behavior is more akin to fraud.
A  6th of Feb, 2010 by
I ordered the license for Adobe Elements from a site with ADOBE logos and adobe store info all over it. When I experienced problems Adobe could not find my order #. I then found the fine print mentioning Digital River. Adobe said they could not help me and I should call DR. It took me 30 minutes to find a LONG DISTANCE phone number and was told I would have to call ADOBE for a refund.
These ### have picked on the wrong redneck this time!
N  2nd of Oct, 2010 by
26/08/2010 DRI*PCTOOLS.COM 952-908-4084GBR $49.95 Changed to my mastercard
D  29th of Sep, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I'm also a consumer but I don't really agree with this complaints. Some people tend to blame there mistakes to someone.One thing I always do if I don't understand something is to search on the net or ask people if net is not available.I always do this before I decide of doing something.Not because you speak English you are already intelligent. We have to read, ask, research etc.You have to read terms and conditions first before you click on YES, continue, i accept etc.!You have to read so that you won't complain after.You have to make sure that the software you had subscribe into is not under auto renewal. Those are actually on the signup page where you put in your personal information.They even have a REVIEW YOUR ORDER button for you to make sure you had put in your information correctly and for you to double check what have you sign up for. One mistake that customers do is renewing there subscription manually though they are under autorenewal(of course they are not aware again or forgot)The system will not detect that it was already renewed manually simply because it was program to renew only.It will generate another subscription automatically and of course 2 orders will show up but you have the right to call the vendor and ask for refund.

Some people will also often think that they are double charge though its just AUTHORIZATION CHARGE. I got the explanation in Webster(Authorization hold (also card authorisation, preauthorization, or preauth) is the practice within the banking industry of authorizing electronic transactions done with a debit card or credit card and holding this balance as unavailable either until the merchant clears the transaction (also called settlement), or the hold "falls off." In the case of debit cards, authorization holds can fall off the account (thus rendering the balance available again) anywhere from 1–5 days after the transaction date depending on the bank's policy.Signature-based (non-PIN-based) credit and debit card transactions are a two-step process, consisting of an authorization and a settlement.
For example:
If an individual has a credit limit of $100 and uses a credit card to make a purchase at a retail store for $30, then his available credit will immediately decrease to $70. This is because the merchant has obtained an authorization from the individual's bank by swiping the card through its credit card terminal. If the billing statement was sent out at that point, the actual charges would still be $0, because the merchant has not actually collected the funds in question. The actual charge is not put through until the merchant submits their batch of transactions and the banking system transfers the funds.
A debit card works slightly differently. Similar to the previous example, if one has a balance of $100 in the bank and used a debit card to make a purchase at a retail store for $30, then his available balance will immediately decrease to $70 as a hold on the $30 is enacted. This is because the merchant has obtained an authorization from the individual's bank by swiping the card through its credit card terminal. However, the actual balance with the bank is still $100, because the merchant has not actually collected the funds in question. However, unless this authorization hold expires without being finalized the user cannot access that part of their account. The actual balance will not be reduced until the merchant submits their batch of transactions and the banking system transfers the funds.Authorization can actually be released by the customers bank.You just have to call them(w/c I always do).

Digital River Logo Digital River