Diamond Resorts International / billing discrepancies

1 Kaanapali, HI, United States Review updated:

Diamond Resorts does not invoice properly and preys on delinquent charges and foreclosures. I was never billed in November and when I received a letter February 12, I was advised I owed $1121 dollars by Feb. 1, I paid on Feb 19 over the phone with a Credit Card, asked if there was any other charges and was assured this was all I owed. On April 3 they sent me a letter that advised me I was delinquent and owed $261 and would be foreclosed on if not addressed immediately. I spent 2+ hours on the phone, was "accidently" hung up on when I asked to speak to a Supervisor and ultimately never got to speak to a supervisor, only an "escalation specialist". I explained my frustration and was advised the $261 was posted the day after I paid, so I owed it anyway, not their fault they didn't post it on time. Ended up paying and washing my hands of it. When economy turns I am seriously considering getting out. Sad part is I purchased this to force myself to go on vacation more, this has been an ongoing problem since purchasing this property, always one excuse of why I wasn't billed on time and how it is my responsibility to remember to send money every November, no matter if I know how much to send or not or where to send money to and which acct. number to use. I really like the Resort, but the management company has really destroyed the experience for me. My bottom line is this, I pay bills on the 5th and 20th of every month, if I owe you money and you bill me prompty, you will be paid as soon as the bill arrives and is due, If you fail to bill me it is likely you won't be paid promptly. I can't remember every bill I have, particularly if it is once a year. And as most corporations work today, who knows where to send it to because the billing centers constantly move from location to location. I hope somebody from Kaanapali sees and understands this, I am not satisfied simply filling out a complaint on an internet board. I will write letters to the right people and hopefully get billed properly in the future or Diamond Resorts will be released from managing the affairs of this facility.

Comments

• Di
      6th of Apr, 2009

I had the same experience. I did not receive a bill prior to a invoice I received in December that included over $200 in late fees and interest. This is a scam and there is no one to help you and you will be told if you finally contact someone that you have no proof that you did not receive a bill and if you do not pay the late fees you will be taken to court and your credit rating will be impacted thus creating a situation where all of your credit card interest rates can be negatively impacted.

• Mf
      28th of Apr, 2009

Diamond Resort has done nothing but take advantage of me as a consumer. The customer rep. are very rude and do not help at all. I believe they want you to foreclose so they can keep you partial money, destroy your credit and still be able to resell. In December, my husband and I purchased a timeshare form Diamond in Hawaii (big mistake), we were give a cash-out option (5% discount) if we paid it off by January 22. Well, we met the deadline and called the cash out option place to pay off. We specifically asked if they took check over the phone, and the rep said yes, took my check information and several minutes later returned with a confirmation number stating that it had went through/approved. We thought that everything was settled. Until weeks later we started receiving late fees and letters stating that we needed to pay, I immediately called and was told, the first time, to disregard that letter because he had seen where my payment had been made. So, again I thought everything was settled. Sometime afterwards, I received another letter of course with more interest tacked on stating that I had not paid. Somewhat frustrated I called again on 2/11/09 and spoke to a Stacy. I told her what had been going on and she told me, after investigation that they check had not gone through and was sent back. This was a total surprise as no one from Diamond had ever informed us (verbally or written) that the check didn’t go through. Also, there was no check to physically send back because it was done electronically over the phone. I told her that it was not our fault and that Diamond needs to allow us to pay the cash option price. We paid in good faith and had a confirmation number that we had paid. We were not going to pay the inflated price with interest. She said she could not make that decision and that she would get back with me- SHE NEVER DID! However, she lied and put in the notes that she did contact me and offered me an extension. Weeks later I find out that I have been reported to the collections agency and negative comments have been put on my credit report. Diamond has yet to this date sent me anything stating that the payment did not go through. I would have never known unless I had not been persistent and continue to call. Ever since then, everyone has been rude and has refused to listen to my story and help me. Supervisors and Mangers have been just as rude and have insulted me and spoke badly about my character. What kind of business is this! When I spoke to Bob, who was supposed to be the Supervisor and told him of how rude his workers had been. Do you think he apologized or anything. No, he just continued to insult me and tell me that I was not getting an extension because I had already gotten one. Never taking the time to listen and find out that Stacy had lied in the notes and this is why I was calling him. They refused to offer me back the price I was quoted when I purchase. I was flat out told by a manger - Teresa, "doesn't matter what you say, you are not going to get an extension, we offered you one and we are not offering you another one" Truth is they NEVER offer the extension. When I told the Supervisor Bob to pull the phone records of where I was offered the extension. He reluctantly said he would and said he would call me back in 10 minutes, sarcastically, because that it all the time it takes. Well, it takes more that 10 minutes when there is no record because the conversation never took place. Still waiting to hear back from Bob! These people have lied, false represented me to the Credit bureaus, and have been a nightmare! Not one person had tried to assist me. End result, I am out of the 1600 dollars I put down; I have negative marks on my credit and a foreclosure. I refuse to let them force me into paying for something I didn't agree to. It is a disgrace that in these economic times, Diamond is taking advantage of people and deliberately forcing people into foreclosures and/or paying more money that originally agree. This company has an F rating with the BBB of Nevada and now I know why. I plan on filing a complaint with the FTC and anybody else. WORD TO THE WISE- If you see Diamond Resorts- RUN!!!

• Di
      21st of May, 2009

Bought my Timeshare through Sunterra. It was a very enjoyable time and I loved Sunterra. I told everybody abou Sunterra. I had family members who bought into Sunterra. When Diamond Resorts International took over everything went downhill. Somehow the managed to extract two Maintenance fees for one year. one for Sunterra and one for Diamond Resorts international. Our Maintenance fee has jumped over $400.00 with Diamond Resorts International.

A word to the wise: when it comes to Diamond Resorts International - STAY AWAY just like you would stay away from a one night stand who told you they had Herpes!!!

• Br
      24th of Feb, 2010

Be sure to get a registered return-receipt letter when you send your payment to Diamond Resorts. I sent my payment on the 12th of January, due on or before the 25th of January. They poasted a late fee to my account and the customer service person I spoke with stated the payment had not posted until the 27th, which I do not view as my fault, as I cannot control their posting process. She was adamant that the late fee would not be removed.

25th of Feb, 2010

Dear Brian Owner...

Please contact me for assistance...We will throughly look at the situation.

patrick.duffy@diamondresorts.com

3rd of Mar, 2010

This happens to me every year.!! That's how I found this site. I was wondering if there was a class action suit due to these practices because I can't imagine it just happens to me.
    Every year I call to say I get all kinds of thing in the mail (and now email) and yet have not received ONE bill for a maint. fee . EVER! I did, however get the bill several years back when so called "renovations" were required. They had no problem getting that bill to me.! That was a very unpleasant surprise the first year I owned the timeshare.
    Every time I call they confirm my address, tell me I have late fees and yet nothing changes year after year after year. I have also had some very rude "customer service" reps. I have nothing good to say
    about the whole ownership experience. I actually wish I could just unload it but I can't even get what monies I've put into the place.
    In my opinion, and clearly others on this and other sites, they need to do some serious damage control to try to begin to keep their owners happy.

Eden Barr
    Polo Towers

7th of Mar, 2010

Dear Eden Barr,
    Please email me at;

patrick.duffy@diamondresorts.com

Let me investigate the specifics of your post...As it seems you are getting some bill, somewhere, sometime because you are still an owner?

Chief Experience Officer

1st of Jul, 2010

It's the samething every year. They send the bill no one gets it for some odd reason. And they add all these fees. Patrick Duffy seems to have the same response on everyones complaint. Email me and i will get to the bottom of this. You know you won't do anything. You changed the call center to miami and those reps are horrible. So rude and unprofessional, eating on the phone and chatting with other co-workers, while they were suppose to help me. I know that the pune reps were bad but they weren't that bad. I remember being able to speak to the same reps, all so very nice and helpful. Now they are just useless. About the fees, yes granted we are told they are going to go up annually. But come on, 500 dollars! The money is suppose to be for the resorts to maintain them. They don't look maintained. I've seen better. When i call i verifiy my address, phone number and email... Now why is it that i NEVER get my invoice???? Everything is correct. But i never get it. I can relate to the complaint above. You need to start worrying more about the customer service and the properties.

2nd of Jul, 2010

Mr/Mrs Not Happy...

Why don't you reach out to me...You seem to be so full of mis-information. You never get an invoice every year? Hmmmm...Really? But you seem to know about it????

Email me like I write...so I can help you get your invoice...If you have not gotten it already.

Yours respectfully,

• Ba
      16th of Oct, 2010

Dear Mr Duffy

I have read the various comments on this blog and would like to ask a simple question.

There has been much discussion about the rises in management fees. Concrete facts seemed to be in short supply. I therefore did some research.

I found that Expedia were offering appartments for rental at the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocen Club in Tenerife. One two bedroom appartment cost £510 for one week at Easter next year (2011). This is far enough in advance that it should reflect standard prices and not any form of special offer.

Looking in the DRI points calendar, one week in a two bed appartment at the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocean Club "costs" members 6500 points. Looking at the invoice that you sent to me for maintenance fees, this would equate to more than £800 in maintenance charges.

It seems from this that you charge around 60% more for maintenence that casual holidaymakers would pay to rent... without the costs of buying points and the annual commitments to DRI.

Looking through the various blogs containing complaints about DRI, it would seem that this is not an isolated situation.

Can you explain why your maintenance charges are so high? I would have expected members to be paying substantially less than casual travellers given that they have paid so much to buy points in the first place and that they are committed to holidaying with you.

I think that we would all appreciate a breakdown of the expenses incurred in maintaining one of your appartments for a week.

Regards

Robin

8th of Nov, 2010

I would like to agree with all the complaints I have read. DRI's payment processing is set to incur late charges. I sent them proof that my bank paid on time, the 12th of the month to get there by the 15. It was DRI's finance department that held my check until the 24th and not taking the money until the 27th, only to give us a $13.50 late charge. When I called I was told they have a 10 day payment process and the it was our banks fault. And then the CSR proceeded to lecture me on proper bill paying, he told me I HAD to get my payment to them on the 1st of the month to have it processed and posted by the due date of the 15th. I have never had to pay a month in advance through internet bill pay. This is bank to bank. I wish I would have used my 5 day right to cancel.

9th of Nov, 2010

Dear Mr & Mrs Smythe,
    Thank you for your post above. I do believe you have come to a better understanding of how your bill pay functions at your bank. This of course with my colleagues assistance. As you are aware, it is not a bank wire but a paper check that is tendered. Thus necessitating a window for delivery different from your actual due date. They also suggested to you the use of Sure Pay as a convenient manner. When your bank send the check they automatically deduct from your ledger the amount. However, your check is in the post on its way to the payee.

If we may be of any further assistance, we would be happy to help.
    Yours cordially,
    Chief Experience Officer

29th of Nov, 2010

Second month..I sent this payment well ahead of time. What did you do? Held it until the 29th, today, to cash it. Sorry, but I called my bank, and frankly I am tired of everything being everyone elses fault. They didn't recieve your part until the 26th. Again holding our check for 14 days. I am not paying the late fee. I am sending my complaints to Missouri and Iowa's Attorney General.

29th of Nov, 2010

I would never recomend you to anyone.

• Gs
      7th of Mar, 2014

Nine months ago, my position was deleted. Our family income went from $80K a year to less than $30K a year. I subsequently applied for, and was approved, for unemployment. Unfortunately, with the recent mess Congress had made, I no longer get unemployment. I am down to zero dollars per months. I have applied for everything I am qualified for...from education to human resources to retail jobs. I have had interviews, but have never received a job offer. We have cut "unnecessary" expenses like the extra TV with cable, no home phone, extracurricular activities for our children were stopped, I quit school. I had called our credit card companies and our car loan companies. Each one was very helpful and either cut out the late fees or tacked two months worth of payments onto the back of the loan. I called Diamond and what do I get...NOTHING! When I explained the situation and what other companies have done for us, they said that was illegal. When I corrected the individual over the phone, she rephrased her statement to "Diamond doesn't do that." Really? Is this how you keep customers? It's not like the CEO needs anymore money...he can help the "little" people by offering some type of relief or break to help through the tough times. It seems like this is a trend with Diamond and they don't care about their customers...only the bottom line and what they can scam out of their customers. I am so utterly disappointed in this company that we are considering selling our timeshare. With a lack of income, we can't afford to go on vacation anyways.

• Ro
      7th of Mar, 2014

Good luck on trying to get rid of your time share. When I tried to give mine back to Diamond I was told that, if I did that, I would still be liable for their ridiculous "maintenance" fees. Ultimately I lost about $20, 000 to this outfit.

Duffy is just out to squeeze his customers for as much as he can get. As long as it is strictly legal, he has not compunction over forcing people into misery. I have met many in this situation.

He should be ashamed, but I fear that actually he thinks himself rather clever. He probably feels pleased at how he has squeezed all this cash out of what I am sure he thinks of as "small people".