Del Rey Travel / Destination Vacation International / travel club scam

1 25124 Springfield Court #170Valencia, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 661-255-5300

This company is related to Dreamworks Vacation Club and Serenity Travel. They have been kicked out of New Jersey and there is an investigation going on in Delaware with the Attorney General's office. That phone # is [protected]. There is a class action suit being handled out of New Jersey by Gary Martin Meyers whose phone number is [protected].

These people have now moved to California. They offer heavily discounted travel. It is join tonight or lose out on the quoted price. They open an RCI Mastercard through Bank of America to pay your fee.

Later when we were able to check out their website, the hotels, airlines and cruises are the same as when you go direct or go through another travel agency.

We talked with RCI and their is no ownership connection. DVI is a travel agency that rents unused timeshares from them.

Don't get scammed by these people. None of them live in Valencia and nobody uses last names. When you ask for a business card it is generic without any individuals name on it.

Comments

• Th
      1st of Mar, 2010

call the ag in california as soon as you get the chance and the bbb and find out what is up

29th of Mar, 2010

You don't know what your talking about. This is a great company can't please everyone!

29th of Mar, 2010

Get your facts straight this is a great company. You can't please everyone dona smith you should get a life. I know you and your full of your self.

• Th
      31st of Mar, 2010

they know exactly what they are talking about. If you want to get ripped off go there. Their affilaite, serenity travel in delaware, has been dropped to a D by the bbb and also is probably going to get sued by the ag in this state. I know serenity is a rip off, and since eric shuman owns del rey and serneity there are probably a rip off as well

• Fa
      1st of May, 2010

Dreamworks is in no way connected to Del Rey Travel, in California. Information can be gleaned via New Jersey Attotney General's Office. Since all of these posts are "ANONYMOUS", please do not feel protected; any libelous postings will be sought - and prosecuted in civil proceedings. If, by chance, you are dissatisfied with any service that you receive from Del Rey Travel - then by all means, go to them for a correction. This will serve as a legal "CEASE AND DESIST" notification pertaining to posting libel against this company.
    With that, submit any and all PHONEY posts at your own peril.

• Je
      16th of Jun, 2010

Del Rey is definitely a scam. As of last week they were no longer rated with the BBB, this week they are a C-. They don't use real names, don't answer or return phone calls or messages and are related to the companie in Newark/Delaware which is being investigated by their AG. Their website has no contact info and the receptionist is listed as their legal contact in CA.

Don't get involved with them.

• Wi
      17th of Jun, 2010

I have been ripped off by this company Del Rey Travel/Serenity travel, too! Don't do business with them. I'm speaking from experience. I ripped up my contract in front of them and they charged my credit card before even letting me read the contract. After reading the contract, my husband and I decided not to join this scam membership and ripped up the contract and credit card receipt in front of the salesmen. Three days later they still charged my credit card! SCAM and [censor] is what they are and I will tell them to their face!

26th of Jun, 2010

Do you people know how may big companies sell travel????? Disney is one. You will pay 30, 000 to own there. The company is great you can't please everyone. They pay a lot of money to get people in the door thats how it works even at disney. Out of 10 people that go to the presentation 2 to 3 will buy thats the way it works if you travel its a good deal if you don't then don't buy it. Go buy Disney or marriott same thing, I guess Disney is a scam to.

• Do
      6th of Aug, 2010

hunter1919 works for the company... obviously!

4th of Sep, 2010

I had a horrible experience with Del Rey Travel, specifically the office in Valencia, CA. Michael Greene (I believe that was his name, office manager of some sort) personified "sales man" because that's all he was interested in ... the sell & obtaining (keeping) my money. I signed up for the lowest trial offer where they made a number of guarantees of what you can do & how you can use the points provided in the trial membership and how you can upgrade and how important you are to them. Once you sign up, they forget who you are and move on to the next idiot (myself included) to lie to them in order to get them signed up for a membership. Anyhow, upon trying to make reservations/accommodations via the trial offer shortly after we signed up, you quickly & rudely find out that if you're not a "real" member (that's what they referred to me as) then I really don't get what they initially promised me. I was treated like a total outsider. Is that how you treat potential long-term members? Apparently so. When I attempted to obtain a refund through the company, they said to go directly through the office that I signed up with. The nightmare continues. Manager Michael was doing everything in his power, including making threats & trying to bully me into keeping the membership. Once he realized I was not hearing it, he got worse in his customer service skills (or tremendous lack thereof) and kept saying, "I'll cancel your membership right now. I don't care about a $500 trial membership when I am getting thousands of dollars from other people". That is the G-rated version. This guy was a jerk and very poor people person. No wonder why they don't have him dealing with people throughout any part of the sales presentation, he would scare them away. Long story somewhat short, it took over a month to get my money returned to me & I will never, EVER, touch or listen to anything associated with Del Rey Travel. All they are concerned with is getting you in the door & taking your money. Once they do that, they kick you out the door & never want to hear from you again. God forbid if you try to make reservations because they don't have time for that, all they have time for is making sales. Not a good company, extremely poor management/leadership, quality of service is terrible, etc. There program is not good at all. They sell it as being cheap & affordable, but I dare you to try to make a reservation during the time frame you want and you won't get anything close. I found cheaper/better deals online without having to sign up for some bogus membership. I have AAA & I got better deals (airfare, hotels, etc.) through them then I did with Del Rey Travel. It's a complete scam, waste of time, etc. Save your hard earned money & book your vacation online via one of the travel websites or even AAA. You will get treated like a member, not a pest or someone with a disease.

• De
      23rd of Sep, 2010

This last comment makes no sense. We're members. We've booked and gone on three vacations already with Del Rey. There are no points involved, we just pay the cost and we've saved money. We referrred our friends and they joined and then cancelled because of what they read here. We're frustrated that they chose to believe strangers that obviously have a particular agenda, rather than our first hand experience.

8th of Oct, 2010

The last comment makes perfect sense. Your friends joined & cancelled not because what they read here ... it was because they probably had a similar experience to the majority of us that were almost scammed. You should be frustrated ... frustrated that you were ultimately tricked into giving someone your money to do exactly what anyone else, including yourself, can do via the internet which is find a cheap deal. I compared the prices I was given via Del Rey with what I could find online (i.e. Expedia, AAA, etc.) for quite a few trips ... for all the trips I requested a quote on as a Del Rey member, I found a cheaper price searching online as oppose to what Del Rey could provide me with. Why would I pay someone a large amount of money including annual "fees" to maintain the membership, etc. just so they can overcharge me for a trip/deal I can find online?

8th of Oct, 2010

You don't have to answer that question ... the report below from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) says it all ... I can tell you one thing right away, the F grade is definitely NOT for Fantastic, Friendly, Fun, Fair, etc...

• 0 Votes

We received a card in the mail from Del Rey Travel located in Valencia, California. The card clearly states you will "receive a complimentary 7 night cruise and air package for 2 leaving from most major airports in the United States, including Los Angeles. Your room, meals, snacks, activities are all included while on board."

Part of the requirements to receive this "complimentary" cruise and free air fare is to listen to a 90 minute presentation for a travel club with Del Rey Travel.

We listened to the travel club presentation and also were given two certificates. One certificate was supposed to be for the free 7 night cruise. The second was for the free air fare for two anywhere in the continental United States.

These certificates have small print and the so called free cruise and so called free air fare is not free at all. The cruise, for example states you need to pay a processing fee of $19.95 plus $50.00 per person for handling, and a fee of $$55.00 per person per day for the cruise based on double occupancy on the cruise. The air certificate for the free airline travel has fees also in it disclosing monies to be paid for these so called free tickets.

When we asked in person at Del Rey Travel, as well as on the telephone for their State of California AG's license number as a "travel agency" which they clam to be, and also asked for any State of California Department of Consumer Affairs licensing information as well, they refused to give it out. Plus they do not have it posted in public view - including any city licensing as is required for businesses to post in a visible place for clients or guests to view. Again, they refused to give out any information to their official state issued licensing, if any in their possession.

It is our humble opinion that this company, Del Rey Travel is not dependable, reliable, and after our investigation by reading postings on BBB and other sources and contacting the BBB, who basically said they have a "F" grade and will not recommend and basically stay away form them and be very cautious of them, we have to agree.

We have been lied to on their so called "free gifts" and they are worthless on the paper these gifts are printed on. We plan to follow up with the State of California AG's office, professional travel agency licensing departments and consumer affairs offices - and also local and national news networks so these news organizations can be aware of this company and let consumers know of the problems and what we feel is a scam.

25th of Nov, 2010

The person who took his time to write that long boring testimonial is h0onoestly hilarious. None of these people say their names. None of these people bought memberships. They are all calling Del Rey Travel a scam because there are some restrictions on the travel gift they received for free. It is so sad. Americans are so discontent and UN appreciative. There are many companies exactly like this in other parts of the world including Sweden which have the same exact policies and procedures and contracts, except one thing is different. The people that go to the presentations are given a gift and they don't piss and moan about something that was given to them for free. Come on people. Don't flatter yourselves. Your time is not worth that much! Your not that important as to where your 60 minutes lost is sooooo horrible because they didn't give you a free car for your hour of time. The difference is that people in other countries appreciate life, and they don't take [censor] for granted like you lazy whiners. It got you out of the house at least! You should be paying them for getting your loser whining [censor] out of the house for a change! I should call the AG on you because you are just such a whiner. Poor baby had 60 minutes of his time wasted and then they gave him 2 free airline tickets that god for bid has some [censor]ing restrictions! honestly people. You should be pissed at yourselves. You are American, You live in America and you actually thought that other Americans would just give you $1, 000.00 worth of airfare for 60 minutes of your time?? With no restrictions or strings attached? You did not know better? And you're mad at them?? Its your own ignorance to blame. Anyways just open your eyes people. Think about [censor] for a second. Don't be stupid and go sit through a 60 minute presentation and then call them a scam after when you down right knew you were getting a free gift with no strings attached . Just don't go in the first place. Because believe it or not, Del Rey Travel has about $2, 000.00 members that have bought memberships and stuck with them in the past 8 months alone, so they are doing something worth while or for 1. they wouldn't have that many members spend thousands of dollars in 8 months and 2. they would have had lawsuites by now ( Which they have never had one ) so please. go whine to someone else or actually do something and try to sue them. Sorry i just hate people that whine and dont ever actually do what they say they are going to do.

• Ke
      23rd of Dec, 2010

The threatening post by Fairwarning is funny (threatening a lawsuit for libel against posters here).
    DelRey Travel (or Del Rey Travel) is NOT registered to do business with the state of California under that name. Nor is "Del Rey Travel" or "DelRey Travel" the subject of any U.S. federal trademark application or registration. Check what I'm saying for yourself at http://kepler.sos.ca.gov and www.uspto.gov. Also, the domain name www.delrey-travel.com (the domain name that they put on their business cards) was registered ANONYMOUSLY on January 18, 2010 - see for yourself at www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/delrey-travel.com. My computer is telling me that there's not even a website at www.delrey-travel.com. The name DelRey Travel is registered as a fictitious business name in L.A. County (see http://www.lavote.net/Clerk/FBN_Search.cfm) but you have to send $5 into the county to get the registration information back by mail.
    If DelRey Travel is 100% legitimate, you have to ask why would they take such great pains to hide who they really are. In my opinion, when people try as hard as DelRey Travel does to hide their real company name and owners, that's a huge red flag that smells like scam. Stay away from DelRey Travel, would be my recommendation.
    Fairwarning, you want to sue me? Come get me, bring it on. I'm a lawyer. And go ahead, post the real name of the company(ies) that operate DelRey Travel, and the real names of the owners of that company, if they're perfectly above-board. But before you sue me, do check the Anti-SLAPP statute, California Code of Civil Procedure 425.16, so that you know what you'll be facing. Cheers, my friend.

• Ke
      12th of Jan, 2011

Out of curiosity, I called DelRey Travel and talked to a woman who identified herself as Assita. Assita Kienou, according to her business card that I had received from somebody else, is the Customer Service Manger at DelRey Travel.

Summarizing the conversation, I asked her what the legal name of the company is that operates DelRey Travel. She said that it's "DelRey Travel." I pointed out to her that there's no such corporation or LLC having that name registered to do business in California, and walked her through verifying that fact for herself on the California Secretary of State’s website. She said that, unless I'm a member or listed on file with them as family of a DelRey Travel member, then it is their company policy not to disclose the company's true legal name or the identities of its owners, or even to disclose the company's license number.

She did say that if I came in to listen to the company’s 90-minute sales pitch, then I could ask questions at that time. She did not guarantee that I would receive truthful answers to my questions . . . but after sitting through their sales pitch, I could ask.

What a joke.

The California Attorney General’s website (http://ag.ca.gov/travel/ ) states: “California requires all sellers of travel to register with the Attorney General's Office and to display the registration number on all advertising. . . When you're at a travel agency, ask to see the seller of travel's registration acknowledgment – a one-page document issued by the Attorney General's Seller of Travel Registration Unit.”

That website has a search feature that allows you to look up the license of a seller of travel to see their registration, at http://selleroftravel.doj.ca.gov/sotinput.asp. You know what? There’s no registration listed for “DelRey Travel” or “Del Rey Travel, ” or anybody at DelRey’s listed address of 25124 Springfield Court, Suite 170, Valencia, CA, or at DelRey’s phone number of (661) 255-5300.

In my opinion Del Rey sounds like a complete sleazeball operation (at best), and possibly an illegal operation for, at the very least, failure to obtain and maintain a valid license with the state of California. Danger, danger! Warning! Run, Will Robinson, Run!

To the poster who calls himself "Fairwarning": How come the people who run DelRey Travel do business under a fictitious name, refuse to disclose their real company name or the company owners, refuse to disclose their California license number, and appear to have failed to obtain and/or maintain a valid license with the state of California?

We're waiting, big shot . . . or should I say, big mouth?

• Pi
      24th of May, 2011

This company has changed name to Worldwide Travel services
    same phone number and address. website http://worldwide-travelservices.com/index.php and http://www.trustlink.org/Ask-The-Community/Question/Travel/Has-anyone-heard-of-Del-Rey-Travel-in-Valencia-California-1650

• Ad
      16th of Jun, 2011

If you recieved a free voucher for a free plane tickets to anywhere in the us from these people, you will likely never see it honered . They make a number of hoops you must go thru, I tried 2 times in the yr it is good for, denied both times and by the 3rd request the 1yr was up. A big scam, its a wonder they are still in business.. Don't go to seminar that offers free plane tickets...its a joke - if your looking for the tickets.

• Pa
      20th of Nov, 2011

For those who want to know, they have three offices in Valencia, Long Beach, Bakersfield, and are in the process of opening one in San Diego. The owners name is Eric Shuman, and the general Manager who runs everything is Kenneth Larry Mcquarrie. He goes by his middle name Larry in California. They are the same owners of Del -Ray Travel. Larry Mcquarrie is the most unethical lying person I have come across. Before joining this company he was running Oasis Travel Clubs all you need to do is type that name in any search engine and you will see he is not new in lying and taking peoples money fraudulently. Now they have changed there name again to Travel Center. because of all the complaints. My ex-fiance who I have a 3year old boy with works for them. Larry Mcquarrie, Went after her knowing she in a relationship and knowing she has a 2year old. By accident I found out and just before she left me and her son I called Larry Mcquarrie. Every single word which he told me was lie. He interfered in my relationship and as the result my Fiance started living with him and left me and her 2.5 year son which I am raising him now by myself. He provided her with a car, financial support and anything else she needed. He would not let her come and see her son in the 1st moth she was gone.My son was devastated not knowing what happened to her mother. Now she does visit him in the weekends and I have him 5 days a week. Just before she left one day she told me it costs clients more to redeem the vouchers that they receive as free gifts than if they would buy it from any where else.She also told me all the company does is search on the Internet to find the lowest priced being offered by other travel company's so they can offer it to the clients. They do that with some kind of soft ware which I guess any one can buy. I was shocked and was wondering if that is true why would they give that information to her. Of course later when I found out she is having an affair with Larry it made it clear how she knew about this. As far as I am concerned they did not care if they ripped up my family apart and I can promise you they will have no problem ripping of their clients. They charge up to $8000.00 for the membership program and you have to pay a yearly fee for something that if you spend a little time yourself you can find a better deal much better deal.