Deal Extreme / Fraudulent company

Deal Extreme
I purchased an HDMI to HDMI/optical audio switcher from Deal Extreme. They sent me the wrong item. In order to return items to them, you have to take a picture of it and the envelope it is sent in and upload it to an e-mail, which I did. Even though they had a picture of the item that stated what the item was, they sent an e-mail back and asked me to describe the item, which I did.

After much e-mailing back and forth (I have copies of all the e-mails), Monica stated that they don't have the item in stock and they would refund my money if I found a way to ship it back to them. She promised to reimburse my shipping costs as well. UPS showed they received it on 1/5. I sent them copies of my receipts from UPS showing the date and cost of shipping. I e-mailed them 3 times from 1/9 and 1/31; they did not respond to any of these e-mails. I later found out by going to their website that they were gone from 1/24 -1/31 for the Chinese New Year, but there was no auto reply to my messages.

After waiting for a month, I finally contacted my credit card company and explained the situation. They were very helpful and stated that I would not be responsible for the purchase price. Only then did I receive an auto reply from Deal Extreme stating that they received a request to cancel the order. When I replied telling them what has been occurring, they replied that the item was shipped on 12/6 and do I have proof that I returned the item. They still have not refunded my money, although I am having the CC company deal with them on that. They also have not refunded the return shipping costs.

Deal Extreme is either staffed by totally incompetent personnel or they are a disreputable company. Either way, like Robert, my advice is don't do business with them. I wish I would have googled this company before doing business with them, there appear to be other complaints there as well.

A  25th of Feb, 2009 by
Deal Extreme is either completely crooked or the worst run business in the history of the internet.

Either way, no one should ever buy from them no matter how good the prices look.

Although you may get a good price on something, the amount of interest that could accrue on the money spent before you actually receive anything could be the difference in buying something for a few dollars more at another store.

They are completely and utterly incompetent, probably crooked, and they epitomize "bad business".
A  5th of Mar, 2009 by
Amen to all of the above:

They scammed me on this damn Flashlight that will NOT work, and no-one will reply, and Pay Pal is NOT helping at all.

255.44 usd down the drain...
N  22nd of Apr, 2009 by
i bought a memory adapter and it was not working.. deal extreme has the worst product ever. i think they got their product from the trash.
D  22nd of Apr, 2009 by
I have ordered four times in the past 9 months from dealextreme.com without any negative experiences. It should be noted that for the most part, they were all small-ticket items (highest priced item was $92USD), but all the products did work and were as advertised. On the very first order, I had a problem with a mini-cd that contained a driver for a dongle I purchased. I did go through the published procedure (took a picture, etc.) and they shipped me a replacement (actually, they shipped the dongle, too!) at no cost to me. Maybe I have just been lucky, but so far I am satisfied with this company and their products. Just my two cents.
D  10th of Jun, 2009 by
You should learn what to buy from these websites. Why make big purchases on a website you dont trust. I order things from dealextreme all the time and I rarely get any problems except backorder issues once in a while. Everything on the website is made in china, so you should think twice about spending such a large amount of money in the first place.
D  10th of Jun, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am currently waiting on my second order from this company. I have not yet had any issues with them. the products I ordered where accordingly and worked fine. this time I ordered small ticket items but spend a total of about 39.00 dollars. hope everything is well again.

anyways, this is my only experience with them. no negative feed back yet.
D  8th of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
what are you talking about???
i'm always buying there!

did you manage to reach them?
did you talked to this guy? www.dxfact.com
N  10th of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I just have a bit of advice for any Internet shopper: when you buy from a new site, buy something small and see how they behave as far as shipping speed, tracking, email contact, etc. Also see if they have a phone number and business address for contact purposes. If you are thinking of buying something pricey, call and see if you can get an actual person quickly and how you are treated. Ask questions. And always check the NET for complaints!
A  23rd of Nov, 2009 by
StealExtreme is a horrible company to do business with. They took three weeks to ship, and they shipped the incorrect items to me two times in a row. Each time it took a month to get them to respond to my emails, and I just got a form letter telling me nothing helpful.

When I demanded a credit card refund they told me it was after 60 days from my first order, so no go.

If you post here saying that they are a great company, I suspect you are a DealExtreme employee or owner.
D  23rd of Nov, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am a regular person just like you. I live in Laurel Maryland. I have ordered many things and I just ordered more items from them. the only issue I had was something simple. I ordered a USB bluetooth mini dungle thingy and it does not interact with Vista. I also ordered a few USB mini Card readers and they really sucked quality wise. but for a $1.13 cents what would I expect.. anyways RayGunn you may have a different experience and It could be a whole different issue. the only thing "I can say its my experience has been positive and Its the only thing I am posting.. why would i bash a business who as of today it has served me accoringdly. I have many friends who have introduced me to this site that can say only positive things just like me. but hey, you are entitle to vent all you want. Good luck BTw...
N  9th of Mar, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Dealextreme is a worthless business, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!
I placed an order with them in Feb 2010, they got paid by Paypal within 4 hours and they have not shipped my order after a month.
1) They advertise a "Live Chat" feature, it is false, it does not work and it is NEVER manned.
2) They don't have a valid email address that you can use to contact them
3) They NEVER answer their phones.
4) They have literally THOUSANDS of complaint son their forums site.
5) They take weeks to answer any posted service tickets
6) They LIE on their website, they say when you order that it takes 1-3 days and during the season, 10 days, its MONTHS.
7) They make your Paypal 45 day complaint time-line for disputes run out and then STEAL your money.
Go look at their forums, you will see THOUSANDS of customers that have been ripped off.
I suggest that you deal with their competitor, they are in the same city and sell the same items.
They have a MANNED live chat EVERY NIGHT 5 days a week, they answer their emails, they ship the SAME DAY, Using overnight FedEx and UPS, you get your order within 72 hours!
D  13th of Jun, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have ordered about 20 items from them so far. Only one item was broken, but I fixed it. There were no wrong items. Most things arrive in 14 days, only some that were clearly marked as out of stock took up to 2 months. I currently have all but one that is back-ordered, but I am confident that it will arrive just fine.
Their support lacks indeed, but even with a few glitches, it is still by far the cheapest shop I can buy from.
D  18th of Jul, 2010 by
I have brought from Deal Extreme about 5 times, Spent more than $400.00USD. Plus they send me a Refund back... 1st Order took about 12 days, after that it took less than 10 to get my items (USPS)... Great stuff at the Best Prices...
A  30th of Jan, 2011 by
I ordered on jan 8. Today is Jan 30 and I am still waiting for my order to arrive. There is no tracking number, no one is replying to my emails. it was a birthday gift and I ordered 2 weeks before, but now the purpose is lost. I am hopelessly waiting for this to atleast get here. It is my first time order with them so I am not even sure about the quality. Such a pain!!!
N  31st of Jan, 2011 by
Yes, it does take long. Between September and October there is a huge holiday and then November to February there are Xmas and the Chinese new year. The longest order records have been 5 months for restocking and 35 days for shipment. But I still accept that for the price.
A  17th of Mar, 2011 by
I ordered an item from DX on 19 Feb 2011 and today it is 16 Mar 2011. I have sent four messages about my product but no answer. The forum rooms are literally full of complaints. There are two known repeat posters that state that work is being done to resolve issues but that is yet to be seen. In a few days, it'll be one full month since my initial order without knowing if my order was packaged and shipped. I may never get my money nor my package ever.
N  1st of Apr, 2011 by
THIEVES. If you've been ripped off by DX, like thousands of others, join my group or page. This is my only option since DX stopped responding and it's too late for Paypal to do anything. I want to hear your story about how they let you down or ripped you off. With enough participation we can turn this into a class-action lawsuit and recover our money.

This company makes cheap goods available because they can offset the poor profit margin by simply not sending out 5% of their orders, and pretending it got lost in the mail until the 45-day validity period in PayPal expires, and then never refunding. This leaves you in a position where you can do absolutely nothing to get your money back.

I have gone to a lot of effort to start this cause against DealExtreme because I cannot stand that they are able to get away with this, and their customers and potential customers need to be aware of how they operate.
Help us expose them by telling us your story:

D  1st of Apr, 2011 by
To DealExtremeAreThieves: This person seeks to gain popularity by creating ad-hoc hateful accounts. I am not willing to register on Facebook to report him, but please do if you have had an okay experience with DX.
I already have lots of rare stuff thanks only to DX and I won't stop being grateful. And DealExtremeAreThieves, stop acting like a Bloodhound Gang singer to your postman and you shall get your packages.
D  12th of Jul, 2011 by
I made an order and paid on the 19thJune 2011, $357, after 2 weeks no sign of dispatch my goods, contact support, not one single reply whatsoever, open a dispute on Paypal on the 4th July 2011, guess what? havean autoreponder (for who may not know what is autoresponder emails are, which they are already been setup automaticly send when some step happens), email send refund successful as the same time as the Paypal dispute was open, what a joke! contact them again, no reply as usual...I must open claim right away otherwise i will never see my money again..DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY dealextreme! what a disgrace!
N  6th of Dec, 2011 by
Dealextreme is a famous company which sells cheap gadgets and electronics .Now in china, there is many website which are similar to dealextreme.This in some degree is a good news for us buyers .For we can compare the price and quality and the delivery time and so on .As to the E-shops, they must improve their core competitiveness to win this Electric business war.
Here I’d like to add some more e-shops here:
www.geminideal.com, a new web, which is the most like dealextreme, both the products and the style of web are nearly the same but price are much cheaper, you can try to find in this web before you decide to buy in dealextreme .
Miniinthebox.com, another web from lightinthebox, it has many attractive items with good looks and it has been the largest E-company in China .

DealExtreme Logo DealExtreme