Columbiahouse. DVD / Extra charge

1 Ellsworth, ME, United States Review updated:
Phone: 207-667-5128

On 05 / 31 / 07 i received a small box in the mail from a po box in greenville sc. I assumed it was some type of free sample to i opened the box only to find a dvd from columbia house dvd club with an invoice for $5. 30 and instructions to make my next selections. I immediately called the customer service number on the invoice [protected] - - what a run - around. You can never reach a live person - - i pushed every option available to try to get a live person on the other end of the line. So my second thought was to put the dvd back in the mail box, marked the package "refused" return to sender. I get a note from our dear postal carrier that because sender did not make the package "return postage guaranteed" that i would have to pay $2. 75 to return the item. I then tried to contact columbia house via their web - site. What a joke! So once again i called the 800 number and went through the process of canceling the account only to be informed by the lovely recorded message that i would be billed for 2 more dvd's at the full price. I have been searching the web all day for complaints against this company and found that some kind person listed a phone number [protected] - - this is the phone number for columbia house management. I called the number and of course no live person to speak with however i did leave a detailed message about my situation of receiving this dvd and not being able to contact a live person. I also informed them that i thought that this was a scam and that i did not want my credit rating affected so i was giving them 7 business day to respond and resolve the situation. If i did not hear from them within that time period that i would be filing with the attorney generals office in both my state and indiana. Guess what!! Within 1 hour i had a phone call back from trent at columbia house - - per our phone conversation my account will be canceled with no charges and he will be sending me a prepaid envelope to return the dvd. So we will see what happen. . .

Comments

• Me
      6th of Jun, 2007

I just went through the same experience. Though I called the 800 number and figured out how to get a live person. She cancelled the membership and said she would send a prepaid to send it back. I filed a BBB complaint and emailed my lawyer. This is crazy.

They can't get away with this! Class action anyone?

12th of Jun, 2007

Apparently Columbia House has recently mailed a slew of unsolicited DVDs to consumers with an invoice for about $5. If you received this mailing, and did not create an account or request the DVD, you do not need to pay for the DVD.

Don't waste time trying to get customer services through the phone on online. You can send a certified letter to them reminding them that federal law states that unsolicited merchandise may be kept as a gift. You can offer to let them pick it up if they want, within a specific time period, but really that's just a courtesy.

Here are some contacts that may help:
    [B]
    Columbia House Contacts[/B]

Stuart Goldfarb, President and CEO, BMG Columbia House, Inc.
    Sharon Siegel, Executive Vice President, Marketing

Fax: 212-596-2213

[B]Columbia House DVD Club[/B]
    1400 N. Fruitridge Ave.
    Terre Haute, IN 47811-1130

If you would like to file a complaint, contact your state's Office of Consumer Affairs, or the Federal Trade Commission and the US Postal Inspector. You can file a complaint online or through the mail.

[B]FTC Complaint Form:[/B] https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

While the FTC does not resolve individual consumer problems, your complaint helps us investigate fraud, and can lead to law enforcement action. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel®, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

[B]USPS Fraud Complaint Form: [/B] [url]http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/MailFraudComplaint.htm[/url]

U.S. Postal Inspectors investigate any crime in which the U.S. Mail is used to further a scheme--whether it originated in the mail, by telephone, or on the Internet. The use of the U.S. Mail is what makes it mail fraud.

• Br
      15th of Jun, 2007

I only recently begun to have problems with Columbia House. Earlier this year I requested my account be closed / canceled. They told me in order to process this request I had to order the remaining two DVD's at regular club price. I did this, yet they did NOT send the DVD's I ordered. Instead they sent me 3 "others" not because they didn't have them or because they were back ordered, I suppose that they just didn't "feel" like sending the ones I ordered. SO I sent them an email(one of about 20, mind you) telling them more than repeatedly that I DID NOT order the DVD's that they sent. They responded to me! Telling me line after line to give them 4 to 6 weeks to deliver them and that if I hadn't gotten them after 2 weeks to be a little more patient. I then receive an invoice stating that I owed for the three DVD's and return shipping!!! I paid them for TWO which is what I REALLY owed them . Then I get yet another invoice for the third DVD and shipping. I sent an ENTIRE package to them including all the emails and the 3 responses I did get from them along with all the invoices and the three DVD's and a check with a letter stating I did not want anything else from them. Then in May they send me another invoice for the one DVD plus two charges of shipping and handling. I then sent them a check(like a ###) for the $29.91 citing NO MORE DVD's. I then go to the website and see that my balance is finally 0. Only I didn't print that page, I went back two days ago to print this page and there is an outstanding balance of $1.81. I have sent only two emails thus far and just put in a message to the number listed in the above complaint. Am waiting, but not holding my breath for a return call. I may be willing to go in on class action against them. I don't understand why they, being such a huge entity can do this? How are they in business???

• Br
      15th of Jun, 2007

I just wanted to come back to report that Columbia House just contacted me and told me that the $1.81 charge would be removed from my account. She could not explain to me why none has contacted me to answer all of my questions. She also told me that since I paid for those two DVDs and only kept one I have a coupon for a free DVD. NO THANK YOU I told her. She couldn't believe that I didn't want anything more from them. HOPEFULLY all this mess has been resolved.

Also hopefully all of you out there can get your issued resolved. So far two people that I am aware of (I being one of them) has ,we think, gotten our Columbia House issues resolved. I really , truly hope all of you that have problems with them do as well.

Good Luck to all of you and God Bless!

• Va
      19th of Jun, 2007

I am so very disgusted with this company. I have tried more than 30 times to contact them about charges on my account id id not order anything or may i say receive anything so far i have over 33.00 usd in charges for late fees emailing them is horrific this company should be shut down.

• Va
      19th of Jun, 2007

Sorry my typing is bad you know what i mean yeah

• To
      5th of Jul, 2007

3 months into my membership I'm charged $9.47 for an enrollment fee and $22.55 for a bonus selection. With proof of receipts I've luckily already paid those charges as my VISA was billed $32.02 when I first signed up (the sum of 9.47 + 22.55). After telling them this, they continue to deny me of a refund saying something about a Certificate. I bought 6 DVD's and I paid for 6 DVD's. So I basically emailed them asking if they realized that they're charging me the exact same amount they did 3 months ago, for NO apparent reason. I can't wait to finish my obligation and cancel this account, unless of course they screw me after the grave as well. Looking forward to that.

Incompetent scammers.

• Mi
      26th of Jul, 2007

Sent the Director's Selection DVD even when I decline the to order by clicking, "No, I don't want this title or any of the alternate titles". The next page says continue shopping with no reference to the declined offer like this sight used to do. I have been sent 2 Director's selection charged to my credit card in the last several months and which I was told "never happened" although it is on my Visa Card Statements... When I call the 800-262-2001, I wait and wait for a live person, only to be talked to like dirt and told that I can't get my email directors selection email removed. When asked for a supervisor told I can't speak to one. Asked Sally, a costumer service person for President's Name and address. She yells back in loud inaudible tones the information and when I ask her to slow down, she goes so slow it makes no sense. Told her that this is not the way to deal with customers like me who at one time like ordering there DVD's. Well, too make a long story short Columbia House DVD Club makes it hard to decline a selection that they will send to you saying it was not declined. I paid an over limit charge on my card because I order another product from a different company, not knowing that Columbia House had sent me a DVD.

• Ev
      3rd of Sep, 2007

I agree with Ben that there needs to be a class action suit against Columbia House. There is tons of testimony against them, and if we stick together there's no reason we couldn't take them down. They should fear us, not the other way around.

• Lu
      1st of Oct, 2007

Is this like those stupid AOL CDs that come in the mail? My mom received an unsolicited phone call one day from a Columbia House DVD pusher. The DVD pusher was making a confusing sale. "You will be receiving a DVD in the mail in a few days. If you decide you like the DVD keep it and it's yours for $5.00. Plus, you get two DVDs free. All we ask is that you buy one DVD at regular price. There's no membership to join, no commitment (unless you want the two free DVDs you must purchase one at regular price as I had mentioned before), there's nothing further to buy." My mom told the Columbia House DVD pusher that she wasn't interested. Then, the DVD pusher gave her some sad story about how she's a single mother with three kids and how she has to get people interested to accept this special once-in-a-lifetime-won't-be-offered-again deal in order for her to keep her job. Anyway, my mom didn't let that I'm-a-single-mother DVD pusher guilt her into receiving any free DVDs.

A week later, my mom receives a DVD in the mail from Columbia House. She didn't agree to receive any DVDs. So, my mom called Columbia House and told them she doesn't want the DVD and that she never agreed to join the club. The rep told her to send it back and that they would cancel the account. Hmmm, I thought the DVD pusher said that her special deal wasn't going to sign anyone up for membership. Like I said, my mom never agreed to accept any deal, plan, offer, or whatever from that DVD pusher. Moving on, my mom sends that $5 DVD back to Columbia House. She thinks that's that, that, that's the end of it. Well, some few months later Columbia House sends her a letter stating that she owes Columbia House some $90 because she didn't choose her two free DVD's and that she didn't purchase one DVD at regular price. They were actually billing her $90 because she didn't pick out two free DVDs and buy one at regular price. She never agreed to accept this DVD pusher's ludicrous con offer in the first place. Of course, they put my mom in collections.

• As
      1st of Nov, 2007

(Product Name: Columbia house ) Columbia house continues its billing policies for consumers who have closed their acts and have fulfilled their buying requirements..

They bill without any order requested and charges the credit card they have on file (despite being told to close acct and c/c file).

Till now, nothing works and reps don't answer the phone

I will do anything to see CH sued to the extent of law..

• Ki
      29th of Mar, 2008

I have been charged for DVDs I NEVER even received. Then, I call for help and the Customer Service Reps. say it's my bank's fault! HELLO, my bank isn't buying DVDs through Columbia House and there are no overdraft fees. Just charges for different amounts for DVDs I never received. My bank is currently fighting for me to get my money back. Go US BANK! I have faxed and sent certified mail to Columbia House and no one helps me. Finally, to prove my point, a guy sends a sheet showing what I bought and paid for, yet my bank shows almost a $120.00 difference in charges. That's $120.00 that Columbia House stole from my bank account. They still send me emails after I have asked a zillion time for them to stop. Now it's becoming harrassment. This is ridiculous. I will NEVER use them again, and I have told everyone I know what I've been through. The odd thing about this is that one of the bank tellers I first told had the exact same problem. If they have a class action suit I will definitely be a part of it. This has been going on since December of 2007!! I filled out a complaint with the FTC. I suggest everyone else do the same and contact everyone you can and hopefully someone will listen.

• Ba
      2nd of Apr, 2008

I am a member of Columbia DVD club, in good standing. Around the dates of 3/10-12/08, I ordered two dvds and paid for them online with my debit card. I received one of the movies, and a bill for 24.60. I have emailed Columbia to let them know I had already paid. They emailed back that they had not received a payment. I have checked with my bank, and they advised me to check with Columbia again. What is going on with this website? Can someone please help me? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• To
      7th of Jul, 2008

They suck, my buddy just got a past due notice, for 2 dvds they were sent to somebody else at an address he never lived at. 2 seperate purchases in June 08. Tried 800# w/ no luck, emailed so far no responce. told him to print out w/ address confirmation and call police if they won't respond. they even used him wifes name before they got married last year!! The cool thing is the address is local and we may pay them a visit!!! They screwed w/ the wrong dude!

• Ju
      13th of Jan, 2009

The worst experience ever! I am struggling to comprehend why this company is still in business. Their business practices are border-line fraudulent.
    I've recently received their demand to pay them $75 of Due on Contract charge, since I failed to purchase 3 more DVDs. I don't even understand how the 2 years contract with 4 DVD's obligation became a year contract... Well, they sent a leaflet along with their threatening collection letter.This leaflet listed all the crappy movies in the world I could buy for their exorbitant prices in order to fulfill my so-called obligations. I wasn't going to purchase any of this crappy titles forced on me so I tried to get an access to my account on their site to peruse their full selection, when to my surprise I've discovered that they de-activated my account. Meaning I didn't have an access to the full selection on-line. The only titles available were the half-a-dollar movies qualifying for their membership. I immediately called the customer service number on the letter 1-800-262-2001 -- what a run-around. You can never reach a live person -- I pushed every option available to try to get a live person on the other end of the line. So after spending more than an hour on the phone I tried to contact their web-site. What a joke! I'v lost a count of e-mails I sent to their Customer Service. I've got an impression that I bunch of parrots was hammering away on the keyboard buttons or they simply have an E-mail robot, which selects the answer by identifying some key words. All my explanations were rebuffed by the demand to pay the money first and then they would send me the CERTIFICATES for the DVD' purchase. Listen to this irony! I don't have an access to their selection because they canceled my account. They force me to choose the titles that I don't want and don't need and then they offer certificates that I can't use since I don't have an access to the full selection without an account. Is this legal? Can somebody help me with an advise? I am going to file a complaint with FTC and Attorney General of Indiana and my State. I've sent a letter to Columbia House DVD Club headquarters regarding this situation. NO reply! Class action, anyone? I am in!

• Ri
      17th of Jul, 2009

Funny. Trent is the little twerp who keeps hanging up on me! I'm getting NOWHERE. These people are RIPOFF artists. I am going through the same ordeal. I told him "do you realize this is my child support money"? He had the NERVE to say to me... "then you shouldnt have used it to buy movies!" ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! I DIDN'T AUTHORIZE ANYYYYYYY OF THESE CHARGES!!! Any time I tried to argue with him, he would hang up on me. TRENT is a world of trouble because I am filing a complaint with the FCC, BBB Attorney General AND his name is going to be listed in MY POLICE REPORT because I am filing FRAUD charges because he REFUSES to remove the charges from my account. I HAVE HAD ENOUGH. COLUMBIA HOUSE IS A SCAMMMMM!!!

• At
      6th of May, 2010

They started sending me DVD's about a year ago. I put on the box return to sender. I have never acceped 1 DVD from these theives. They just sent me a bill for $125 for nothing. What should I do?