Columbia House DVD Club / Membership Cancellation

1 Las Vegas, NV, United States
Phone: (702) 440-4692

I have been a loyal customer of Columbia House for several years, with a large purchase history and impeccable payment record. On Wedenesday, June 24, 2009, I called the company's DVD customer service center to find out why I had stopped receiving their monthly E-mails. The first telephone rep I spoke with was unable to give me a clear answer, so I asked to speak to an actual manager, who was one of the rudest people I've ever dealt with. I don't recall whether she gave me her name, but she sounded African-American, and the call was somewhere between 2:30 and 3:00 p.m. PST. From here on, I shall refer to this customer service manager as the CSM.

The CSM explained to me that the reason for my discontinued E-mailings was that my account had been permanently closed. Shocked to learn this, I immediately asked why, to which she replied "It was a business decision." I said "What kind of business decision?", to which she said "That's all the information I can give you." I immediately asked why I was never notified of this in any way, to which she said in an abrasive, arrogant tone of voice: "We aren't authorized to tell you ANYTHING. We reserve the right to cancel a customer's membership any time we wish, and it's not our place to tell you why. If this answer is unacceptable to you, you will need to submit your complaint in writing." I was so disgusted at this point, that I ended the call right away, and let this woman know what I thought of her and Columbia House.

Who do these people think they are, treating customers this way? They just randomly spit them out, and then bully them when they kindly ask for an explanation? As far as I'm concerned, this kind of organization doesn't deserve to be in business, and I'll go to whatever measures I have to to let my voice be heard about this. I can only wonder how many other loyal, decent customers they've treated this way. Even if they have a valid reason to close a customer's account through no fault of their own, the least they can do is communicate it to them. If they can't accept this simple courtesy, then they're not qualified as business people, and it really disappoints me that my membership has to be ended on such a nasty note, because I really enjoyed being with them for so long.

I would like to be contacted regarding this matter as soon as possible. Thank you so much for your time and attention.

Jason Ransom