Coach USA , Shortline Rude Bus Driver

Coach USA Rude Bus Drivers

4.6
Shortline Coach USA BUS
New Jersey
I am not sure if this email will get the necessary attention needed or just be treated the same brash way that all the Coach USA passengers are treated. This is not my first experience of coming across a completely unreasonable, rude and unprofessional driver with Coach USA. Today's experience left me completely baffled as I was left stranded by a driver at the Ridgewood park and ride even though he realized that the mistake was made by the dispatcher in NYC.
I take the 5:45 PM bus to Mahwah from Gate 315 and today the bus has a flat tyre the minute it pulled out of the gate. The driver panicked and asked the Mahwah passengers to get in the bus leaving from gate 314 at 5:47 PM. He gave back the ticket, which was taken by the driver immediately at Gate 314 standing side by side, without any questions. As we approached Ridgewood, I asked the driver if he was going through Franklin Turnpike and instead of replying politely, I was shocked to get an absolutely rude response of " I am going no where near there!!" I told him about the switch over at Port Authority and he claimed that he mentioned to me at the gate when taking the ticket that he will drop me off at Ridgewood. That was an absolute lie as I never exchanged a word with him. It was just my hunch that made me ask him in Ridgewood if the bus was going to Mahwah. I asked him if I can get the MAhwah stub back so I can take another bus to MAhwah. He then to my surprise again turned violently angry and started yelling and said he is not going to give me back anything and that I should make arrangements for pick up. I got off and took another bus using another ticket and then walked home.

I don't understand if it is the training they get to just be outright rude with passengers because that is the only way they can make things easier on themself or if Coach USA genuinely hires bullies in the hope of making their operations profitable. A very bad experience again with Coach USA that I am sure will someday reflect on the performance of the company. ...Very large conglomerates have gone out of business due to callousness. Just an advice from a business executive who understands the value of customer service ...please pay attention to what your customers are saying and reprimand bad behaviour. Alternatives emerge very fast and Coach USA is no exception!!!I will use this as a case study at my MBA class that I teach at a university.
Complaint comments Comments (19) Complaint country United States Complaint category Travel & Vacations

Comments

A  17th of Sep, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I totally agree with you! And I believe a great number of other passengers have been go through similar abuse for a very long time. It's been yearS that the majority of Coach USA's drivers are rude to their passengers, and there are part-time drivers who are bad with their driving skill! It is like the company doesn't care at all about their image and servicing their customers. That reminds me of the phone company, MCI that filed bankruptcy not too long after their services dropped to an unacceptable level...

I mean everything from the Gate assignment (departing from Manhattan) to the signs on buses indicating where they are going, to often the unbearable attitude of their driver make me sick toward the company!

I take the route from East Brunswick, NJ to Manhattan everyday and occasionally late at night on Friday/weekends. Every morning waiting on the sidewalk of Highway Rt. 18, people need to ask the drivers whom with cold faces (!) where their buses are going (whether to Port Authority, Downtown or Crosstown, NY) because the signs on the buses just do NOT reflect.

Gate assignment at Port Authority, NY is an absolutely joke!!! I occasionally take late buses at night and on weekends and get very confused not knowing which Gate to get on my bus. They recently put a list on the wall listing all the Gate numbers only that made me missed my bus 11 pm at night because the information was incorrect! When I asked the dispatcher in the booth, he blamed me for being there late and line up in front of the wrong gate (go figure)! While another dispatcher admits that the list is not correct when it almost happened again.

The problem has persisted for many years and Coach USA just doesn't care to spend a minute and dime lining their buses in front of an assigned Gate nor improving the simple signs on the buses. They only play friendly when it comes to time to get on the competition with NJ Transit over the usage right at the Tower Center bus station in East Brunswick.

I suggest you to look up the name of the CEO of Coach USA from the web and send your complaints directly to him (his secretary) as I will do. I believe the higher management does not know about the suffer its passengers have to go through daily and they are sincere about having a good impression and service. If they don't, good luck to them. As you mentioned, even large conglomerates have gone out of business due to callousness, and Coach USA will not be an exception.

Lets hope for the higher management would care and look forward to a more pleasant ride with Coach USA... or with its competitors.
N  10th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
@margso Looks like someone sued them! It's not just us little people getting screwed! https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-document/file/513801/download
A  21st of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
I agree!
I have tried to alert the Shortline about a ticket sales theft from Honesdale Pa, where i tried to get a ticket for my Euro trip to the airport.
The man at the "Romans food deli" or whatever they call it took the $62 from my son and pretended that he thought i had lost the ticket! He pocketed the money and i had to go to a more honest place in Hancock, NY to get another.
When i alerted them, there was a very poor response, in fact, the first woman i spoke to acted like i was the thief!
This was crime that i think the whole world needs to know about and i will have to do this myself, i guess.
Agents like that should be exposed and punished so the good people are not victimized further.
My sympathies sincerely, Patricia Altair
N  10th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
@cricket Terrible and unprofessional attitudes of the office workers and simply not fit to be working in this type of environment! Traveling on a bus can be a dangerous decision, with the experience I have had...I will not trust this company with my life for 5 hours! Ithaca to NYC, forget it!
A  23rd of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
Horrible company! Will never use again.
N  10th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Cornell University Agreed, once was enough for me. Ithaca to NYC what a joke!
N  27th of Feb, 2013 by    +1 Votes
"TO ALL COACH USA PASSENGERS ESPECIALLY THOSE ON THE BINGHAMTON TO NYC ROUTES, "MAKE YOUR COMPLAINTS AGAINST COACH USA BUS DRIVERS TO THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION WHICH IS AN INDEPENDENT FEDERAL AGENCY. THEY ARE THE AGENCY WHICH REGULATES COACH USA AND ALL GROUND TRANSPORTATION IN THE USA. YOU CAN GO TO THE US DOT WEB SITE & FOLLOW THE EASY STEPS TO FILE YOUR COMPLAINTS ONLINE. FURTHER DOWN IN THIS COMPLAINT I PROVIDE YOU ALL WITH THE COACH USA AMERICA GROUP CEO'S NAME, CORPORATE ADDRESS & PERTAINENT PHONE NUMBERS." Coach USA Bus Drivers are not only the rudest persons on the face of the planet, they are also downright dangerous to the safety and the lives of their passengers. Unfortunately I have been patronizing Coach USA for years out of necesity. I have personally witnessed drivers who are falling asleep at the wheel while driving especially on the Binghamton to NYC route & the NYC to Binghamton routes. They almost always drive in a manner which shows a callous, reckless & total disregard for human life, examples of these actions include but are by no means limited to the following behaviours, crossing solid white lines, driving taking up to lanes, failing to use their turn signals, speeding or going over 65 mph in 55 mph speed zones, talking on their private cellphones without using approved hands free devices, punching tickets or gathering receipt's from the ticket machine (for those buses that equipped with the receipt machine), all while driving at high rates of speed with both hands being utilized to deal with the tickets or the receipt's instead of using their hands to control the steering wheel the way they are supposed to do.You might ask yourselves "how does a Bus driver manage to drive using no hands?" Well folks, this awesome feat of driving (I'm being sarcastic) is accomplished by the driver using his forearms to "BALANCE THE STEERING WHEEL! Additionally, these drivers think absolutely nothing about violating passengers "FEDERAL CIVIL RIGHTS 42 USC TITLE 21" in all different kinds of manner. For example, I have personally witnessed these drivers unceremoniously kick passengers out from the seats immediately behind the driver's seat for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I have also witnessed time & time again these drivers deny paying customers the use & enjoyment of the two front seats which the driver then utilizes to place their personal belongs such as briefcases, backpacks or coats even though they have available to them the overhead storage compartments on either side of the bus rear of the driver's seat.They routinely & blatantly discriminate against passengers based on AGE, SOCIAL STATUS-PEOPLE WITH CHILDREN, THE DISABLED and others just to name a few. In short, COACH USA BUS DRIVERS AMOUNT TO NOTHING MORE THAN THE BASEST MOST BRUTISH THUGS WITH A CDL LICENSE LIKE A CATTLE PROD WHICH THEY UTILIZE TO COW, ABUSE & TO BULLY THEIR PASSENGERS. Should a passenger object to any of these drivers deadly & civil rights violating actions, you can be assured that they will call the State Police and immediately "LIE" in order to have the passenger arrested as the state police will NEVER EVER side with a passenger. Writing to the CEO of COACH AMERICA is probably futile because this is a large corporation whose obvious priority is their bottom dollar otherwise they would never hire from the bottom of the barrel when hiring these crass drivers. However, for those customers, and yes folks, "YOU" are "ALL" paying customers as COACH USA DOES NOT LET YOU RIDE FOR FREE, IF YOU STILL WISH TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH COACH USA THEN I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO CONTACT THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, COACH AMERICA GROUP, INC, LAURA HENDRICKS - HER CORPORATE ADDRESS IS 8150 NORTH CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY, DALLAS, TEXAS ZIP CODE 75206 PHONE NUMBERS (972) 354-3500 FAX NO. (972) 262-2761. Lets put an end once and for all to the unnecessary dangerous & extremely threatening behaviour which passengers are routinely subjected to by these miscreant thuggish COACH USA DRIVERS.
N  11th of Jul, 2013 by    +1 Votes
Gus, the bus driver who drives the Newburgh local out of Port Authority at 5:35pm is the rudest driver I've ever encountered. He has been my driver for over a 1 1/2 years and has road rage cuts cars off on the highway exits at Harriman stop gets in the far right lane and makes sharp left turn. He also talks on his cellphone constantly while driving. On Tuesday June 9, 2013 Gus unleashed his furry on me after dropping off at the same stop for over a 1 1/2 years at the same stop. He informs me he will no longer stop to let me off at Hazzard Lane in Highland Mills, NY on Route 32. Says the stop is to close to Woodbury Heights. Although it may seem close driving not when walking. At a certain point ther is no sidewalk and I would be forced to walk on Route 32 with traitor trailer trucks barrelling down the road. It is extremely scary. Gus then tried dropping me off in grass in front of cemetary which would be imppossible for me to cross the street. Then yelled at me that it's summer time so I should get out and walk. I should not have to endure the abuse that I please upon me. Gus should be reprimanded about his behavior to me as well as other passengers that he's aggressively rude to. We pay to much money for our commute to be subjected to the abuse.
A  6th of Dec, 2013 by    0 Votes
I certainly agree with everyone's complaint . I am sceptical whether this note will ever meet the eyes of those who potentially change this awful service which Coach USA provides . I'm personally sooo.. tired of talkingng to managers and writing emails only to continue receiving scrappy service .

Yesterday, leaving Englewood going to Hackensack .. I had a driver who popped her gum like a machine gun . Simultaneous pops, loud pops . When I asked her to stop ( nicely ) she said she'll see what she could do, and continued popping . It was so annoying that I got off the bus . I'm trying to contact the proprietors if possible . The service is only getting worst as I see it . Good luck folks .
A  2nd of Jun, 2014 by    0 Votes
This has got to be the worst bus line. Today the customers had to wait more than an hour for the bus. We saw about four buses in a row driving in the opposite direction, so we knew we would probably be waiting for these same buses to return.

Once the buses returned the bus driver would just past by the bus stops; So the customers had to wait for another bus.

When we finally got on the bus the bus driver was extremely slow. He would spend extraordinary amounts of time at the bus stops.

Waiting for each light to turn red.
N  30th of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
IGood morning am writing to complain about the bad behavior of the driver of bus number 6523 24B Orange NJ departed the company is d Coach USA
April 29 Tuesday at 5:03, I was paying my own with Cora inadvertently left me two pennis, I do not know who thought the Driver then Yell me, I said the first time I pay with Coras because I always take the bus and ticket payment, I payment three zones are three dollars, the driver does not show respect for passengers, the drive must show respect for the passengers, and if I haven't dollar bills and I pay with Cora's does not have to require another form of payment, It should also wait for me to pay and not speed, also I hope that the other passengers pay
I'm Hispanic my papers in order my husband is a citizen and descrimino me by the fact that Hispanic and this is u. grave act is nothing but makes reecto'll see me forced to seek help from the media because this can not go on like this
The drive yell me a rude way so I'm complaining, and I'm upset this must stop drivers must respect the passengers .
Thanks
N  12th of Nov, 2016 by    0 Votes
I work for a hospital in Livingston NJ. I catch the 31 coach USA bus. Today incident occurred around 4:24 p.m. as I and other paying customers were waiting on the bus to arrive. This guy/bus driver is the most nastiest driver in this line. He was driving #6515 bus. Light skin complexion from the islands. He has a full beard and always wear dark sun glasses as well as a fitted hat. Myself and other workers asked if he was going to Newark Penn Station which the sign said Livingston Mall. He told us to read the damn sign. We only asked because sometimes the drivers forget to change the sign coming from Livingston Mall to Newark Penn Station. I called to complain to coach in Elizabeth NJ. Which in turned started a argument over the phone with yet another rude and belligerent worker. As he told me that the driver is a good driver. Well the public doesn't think so at all. This driver has had multiple complaints against him from worker from the hospital and well as the general public. He likes to belittle people as well as curse people out. It has become really annoying and dreadful for the general public on this 31 line. Something has to be done about this driver. I'm very upset that this driver is still driving for Coach. Please don't turn a death ear to these re-occuring issues with these bus driver. As a professional in my field I feel very degraded as well as disrespected. As per every paying customer whom ride these buses. I hope this gets to the high up corporate offices and in the hands of the right CEO and CFO. There should be some changes if not I have no other choice but to take my complaints to the transportation commission and have then look further into these concerning issues.
N  10th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Shireka Harrison I have had an issue with the trip from Ithaca NY to NYC as well. I bought a round trip ticket, he only gave me a ticket to NYC. Upon showing my E Receipt to the NYC office, I was forced to purchase another ticket or I would have missed my bus. For two weeks I have tried to get a refund, to be told today that Ithaca "printed my round trip" and its like "losing cash" if I dont have it. Well, I never received it. They are backwoods, ### at Ithaca, as well as the NYC office seems very cold and harsh. I will never use Coach again, after this experience. It appears to be scheme, to collect on extra tickets having to be bought with all this print your E ticket or NO TICKET at the window and so on. They just lost a regular customer that would have used the bus to NYC on a weekly basis. After reading these comments and my first experience I am done. There are too many reputable options out there. So long Coach Short Line or what ever they call themselves. I plan on filing a formal complaint for poor business practice as well.
A  10th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
A bunch of crooks! Don't use this bus line, sooner or later you will get screwed or end up dead from the poor driving!
A  10th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
Proof of 2nd purchase for my "round trip" wont refund me! Unprofessional as it gets!

A  10th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
Someone needs to sue them for deceptive business practice! Class action suit!

Another lawsuit!

Boycott Coach USA

A  10th of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
I want my lousy $50 refund for having to purchase a duplicate ticket, or I will continue to post on every website I can find Coach!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree