Clearwire / Lease is completed - won't cancel!

I completed my lease, per terms of service in spite of speed below dial up during 1/2 of one-year contract, multiple service interruptions (that were not documented in spite of my reports), difficulty in getting a truck roll, rude and condescending customer service representatives, "premium" service with anti-virus software they claimed they developed (Authenium is the developer), I can't even begin to itemize the list of misrepresentations and failures they have made. But now I have completed my contract and they have RENEWED it without my consent - which means they can charge my bank account and apply an new and higher early termination fee. I have made ten calls to customer service to cancel - all of them have send the company sent an email notifying me of this renewal and it must be in my spam folder - which it is not. When I inform them of this FACT - they tell me their terms of service allow this automatic renewal - which it does not. I have returned my leased modem, I made arrangements to obtain UPS labels 6 days before the lease end date, received them 4 days before the lease end date, packed my modem the day of the lease end date, sent it in hours after the lease ended, and I still cannot terminate the contract renewal. I filed a complaint with the Washington State Attorney General Office. Do not deal with company, not only do they not provide service as promised, but they use illegal business practices.

Comments

• Ko
      1st of Nov, 2007

I sponsored a petition for Clearwire to waive termination fees to unsatisfied customers. Please sign and forward if you support.

• Ka
      27th of Dec, 2007

I consider myself a smart business man, but this company has "stolen" money from me the same way by charging me a $180 termination fee even though I have had there service over my 2 year term. Their service started out OK but finally would not do better then regular dialup. Their tech help could not correct the situation. But I knew I had a contract to complete and I did. But they automaticly renewed and now I owe another $180. It is hard to scam me but they did. I HATE THIS COMPANY. I am not done with them.

• Am
      7th of Jan, 2008

I had the same thing happen to us. We were moving and did not want to continue with their SLOW service. We had completed our contract and not renewed so it should not have been a problem. When we called we were informed that they had sent us a letter reminding us of the renewal... they had NOT... but they said even so they are allowed to "just renew". Today my husband called to cancel because we are up for renewal on March 1st and was told that we had to call 30 days out. Obviously it is almost 2 months out right now but they said he has to call back EXACTLY 30 days out or pay $180 fee. These people are crazy. I am searching for the right agency to file a complaint with. DO NOT DO BUSINES WITH THEM- SLOW & EXPENSIVE!

• Pe
      2nd of Apr, 2008

Complain to your state's Consumer Protection office, that's what I did. Clearwire claimed that they auto renewed my contract, and they said that I had to pay a $200 early termination fee. I was never notified and I did not renew my contract, so I went to the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection and told them about the auto renewal. A few weeks later, my termination fee is waived and the issue was resolved with pressure from the state.

• Ai
      7th of Sep, 2009

I was scammed by a clearwire rep at the mall, where I thought I purchased a modem. The rep asked did I want to pay 100 dollars now, or over the next 20 months, I said 20 months, he informed me my bill would decrease five dollars a month after the 20 months.

When I complained about substandard service, I also asked them about my modem should be paid for by now, they informed me that I was leasing the modem,

So I have 2 months left, and I know that there are better bargains for broadband, I don't think that 3 to 5 kbps at 24 dollars a month is any kind of deal. Not when 40 a month with another carrier can get you 4mbs

The FCC is investigating practices with telcos, and I hope Clearwire is on there agenda.