Clearwire / Cheating customers!

Clearwire came to our office and offered a special promotion to us. I had the sales rep come to my house to install and sign contract. Salesperson said it was easy, just plug in. I had him plug it in and it did not work. After about 2 hours of trying he found out that the signal from the one tower they had did not reach our area. He said that their should be a tower up within 2 months. The promotional offer was only about $4 a month. We signed the contract, but made it clear to the sales rep. that this was for my business. Since we had no service in our area or anywhere my clients lived, my husband took it to work and just surfed the Internet. Couple of months passed and no tower, but now they were charging us full price. After SEVERAL phone calls, someone put my account on hold until the tower came up. Last month I received an e-mail stating that my account was overdue. I e-mailed them and told them that my account is suppose to be on hold until the tower is up. They said even though the tower was still not up, they could only put the account on hold for 3 months. I have tried every possible way to resolve this matter with Clear wire, but no one wants to help. Every e-mail and customer service agent wants me to call the local office and the local office will not call me back. Customer service will not give me the district mangers number and told me to go up the chain of command, starting with the local office. I told them that the local office will not call me back. She told me to keep trying. They open a lot of these account earlier this year with the anticipation of having the tower up soon. I am sure I am not alone with this problem. I think the local office knows that customer service is direct customers to them and they are just simply not replaying. They probably figure that we will get tired and not want our credit ruined, so we will cave in and pay the fee until our contracts are up. I even told the Customer Service manager this and she said just try the local office again. I have no service in my area or and in my clients area and they still want me to pay the monthly rate.

N  3rd of Apr, 2007 by

I have had problems with Clearwire as well and I have filed a complaint with the State Attorney General's office in the state where I live as well as with the Attorney General in Washington State, where their corporate offices are located.

I recommend filing a complaint with the AG's office of the state where you live as well as in Washington, where their corporate office is.
A  7th of Apr, 2007 by
Will do, I got scammed by clearwire also
A  10th of Apr, 2007 by
I'm having all sorts of issues with Clearwire signals. My Clearwire modem works great for days and then loses signal for days. Their infective (and rude) tech support just keep telling me that the signal should be strong. I asked to cancel the service - they inform me that I can if I pay them all sorts of cancellation fees. I have filed a complaint with BBB. My personal recommendation is to stay far away from Clearwire services.
A  10th of Apr, 2007 by

I have the same issues with Clearwire signals. I do work from home most evenings and frequently lose a signal which kicks me off my network or I just can't connect at all.

I have called customer service and I've never been treated more rudely. I told them I wanted to cancel because I couldn't get service and didn't have the time to waste on the phone with tech support every night. They told me I'd have to pay a cancellation fee then.

The ironic thing is when I signed up for the service, I was never given any terms of my contract. I was also supposed to be buying my modem when I signed up for 2 years and then I could avoid the monthly $4.99 lease fee, but low and behold I have been charged a lease fee every month for six months. They said they had no such deal in place and that I must be mistaken???

I think this is a case where Clearwire Rep, Zac, who was selling Clearwire at the Best Buy in Bellevue, Washington intentionally misrepresented both the quality of the connection AND the incentives for signing a 2 year contract.

I plan on filing a complaint with the BBB as well as with the Washington State Attorney General where I live and Clearwire's home office happens to be located. I can't believe that a Craig McCaw venture could be run in such a fly-by-night manner.

N  16th of May, 2007 by
I requested service and did not receive the level of quality I requested!
N  18th of May, 2007 by

Clearwire - I hope the authorities catch on

When i signed up with clearwire, I knew i should not given them my credit card. They lied about the service and i canceled in 3 days. They charged over $300.00 to my card. I cant get it back because the bank said its a debit card. "Nothing they can do". If anyone knows how i can get my money back, please email me.
N  11th of Jun, 2007 by

Clearwire - Lousy reception!

I hate Clearwire! I had one of their reps come out and place my receiver and for a while I had 3 to 4 bars, yet now I'm lucky if I have two lines showing! This is so frustrating and none of their service people help. I'm telling everyone I know how horrible Clearwire is! I can hardly wait until my contract is up to switch to another provider.
A  18th of Jun, 2007 by
Clearwire may be a scam, just like they claim you may receive up to 1.5 MB/sec. download speed. I've been trying for months to cancel my service because I also do not recall ever seeing the terms and conditions prior to signing a contract. The salesman told me I could watch movies and play games online with Clearwire, just like I was happily doing with my DSL. I chose to switch because I had planned to use the my laptop in my vehicle around town and use Clearwire to connect. What I have found is that the IP address is changed every night, which means my wireless router also goes down. Was this in the terms and conditions - I doubt it. Do they care, absolutely NOT. I think filing with the AG is a good idea, and plan to do that in Idaho, as well as contact the BBB. They may get my $188 but at what expense to them.

I so regret signing up for this service. I feel I have been mislead on my expectation for this service. I suppose that is also covered in their terms and conditions. What ever happen to customer service. Now instead we're imprisoned to a contract. They should take class or two and learn what 1 unhappy customer can cost a company. I guess a termination fee is their way of saying - Thank-you, we're sorry our service didn't work out.
A  5th of Jul, 2007 by
I have tried for several months to get out of my clearwire contract... no deal...they will not even think about, most days I can not get on the internet, I have had several trouble tickets, they offered to come to my location, I never saw them, yet they say the issue was resolved, because the tech drove out in my area with a modem and showed great signal, if I try to get out of the contract, I will have to pay the penalty of over $100, in a month or so, that i will go down a little in the mean while Clear Wire SUCKS< they do not provide at all what they state.

They could care less about the customer, they want the $$$...
A  9th of Aug, 2007 by
I think Best Buy should be just as culpable for this Clearwire service sham as Clearwire itself. After all, it was while I was at Best Buy that I made this terrible decision to sign up for their service. However, I just presumed if Best Buy was behind it, it must be okay.

Like all these other folks who have written about their negative experiences, I too have lived every episode; the most memorable being when I called in to cancel and refused to talk to the retention department. The short end of a long story is I got nearly $500 charged to my Visa (they said I didn't follow the procedures - I told them, I never got a THING in writing and that I wasn't paying another dime for a service that didn't work. They simply charged my visa on file - another stupid move on my part to not have canceled the card)
I'm trying to figure out a way to get away from these rude amateurs who can't provide anything that even resembles dependable internet service

Yoohoo, Best Buy?? You'll be hearing from me soon about this...
D  12th of Sep, 2007 by
So how did Clearwire infringe on your trademark, how did a NATIONAL company already registered with the stock exchange infringe on your little po-dunk rinkie dink mom and pop company? You do know you have to register your business name for wall street right? It's also checked to make sure there's no infringements when registered right?
A  14th of Sep, 2007 by
Hello All,

I have also been scammed by Clearwire. They misrepresented their monthly plan and are saying that I will be charged an early cancellation fee. I am gathering information and names for a class action law suit against Clearwire. If someone already has done this please contact me otherwise please contact me and I will add you to the list.

Edward Gee
A  2nd of Oct, 2007 by
Clearwire is a criminal organization. First of all, their terms of service are only viewable on their website when you go to sign up for the service. How can someone who is going in to sign up for internet service access the internet to read their extremely broad, and restrictive terms of service!?

Second, they very well know that if you were to actually read their TOS, you wouldn't sign up for their service, so they intentionally push it aside and coax you into signing the contract before you catch on. They assure you that their service is "just as good as DSL, only portable." Well, that sounds GREAT! Doesn't it? Not. DSL allows me to view all the streaming video I want, download all I want, play all the games I want, and use whatever VOIP service I want, and it's CHEAPER!

Clearwire has no problem sending others your personal information. Your e-mail address is NOT safe with them!

It put a hit on my credit, but after Clearwire refused to cancel my service, I put a stop payment on the company level. Get out of your contract, if you can.
A  8th of Oct, 2007 by
I didn't have internet for a long time. Then someone offered to help me get Clearwire. I'd just bought a new computer, so what the heck, right?

Well, I haven't even gotten it started yet! Oh, I've gotten the modem and everything. Then I find out that my ethernet port is bad. Clearwire said that they'll send me a USB-to-Ethernet adapter. Well, that was on a Friday. They didn't ship it out until today! They told me originally I would be using their internet on Saturday. Now I've got to wait until Tuesday to get the adapter. What a pack of liars!
A  12th of Oct, 2007 by
1st ClearWire modem sucked. I exchanged it for another. 2nd ClearWire modem was just as bad. Best performance was about 700 down and 200 up but more typical was 500 down and 55 up. Repeated calls to service to ask for on-site support and I get "you are getting a great signal" we can verify this right now. You are getting what we advertise! "Up to 1500..."

Finally I took the modem to one of their offices (left it in my car). As they kept insisting that they were getting a strong, solid reply from my modem. I told them to hold that thought, went to my car and asked: Do you mean this modem is giving you a solid response? ClearWire employees are liars!

I cancelled my account then and there. Threats of billing cancellation charges be damed it did not work, no use to pay anything. I too will file a complaint as I just noticed that they have CONTINUED to bill me since April. (Missed it as it was a company account.) Called them and they claimed I never returned the modem. ClearWire EMPLOYEES LIARS!

After three phone calls they are processing a "credit" to my account as they "discovered" that my date of cancellation was received in April but still do not show that I returned the modem.
A  21st of Oct, 2007 by
If you just want to check your email or the local news, Clearwire isn't that bad. But then again you can do that with dial up. Which half the time, Clearwire is not much faster than dial up. If you like watching videos online, if you upload things online, if you work from home and have to connect someplace virtually, Clearwire is about as useless as it comes.

If it were about 10 bucks a month, I'd say why not. But after the first few months, it goes to something like $44 per month. I'm sorry but a signal not much faster than dial up is not worth 44 bucks per month. And the tech and customer support might as well be the local cashier. Nothing wrong with cashiers, but you don't go to them for tech support. But it seems the local cashier is where Clearwire goes to hire tech support. Because the only responses I've received from Clearwire tech support were, "The signal should be fine," or "Let me resend a signal to your modem." I hope they don't get paid more than $10/HR because Clearwire's tech support is useless.

The only people who seem to defend Clearwire are those who work for them. It's nearing the end of 2007, if you can't upload or download simple streaming video, then the service is useless. If this were 1998 and most of the internet was static without video or audio, then Clearwire would be fine. But it's 2007, almost 2008, Clearwire should just go out of business if they don't get up to broadband speed.

I never liked customer service with Comcast. I didn't like Qwest that much. Direct TV had issues in the rain. And Time Warner banned certain channels and didn't broadcast others, on top of the local blackout issues, but at the end of the day, at least I could watch streaming video and upload pages to my website without worrying about failures.

I thought AOL was bad when it disconnected you all the time. But that was 1999. Like I said, Clearwire either should go out of business or get up to date. Right now they are a scam. $44/month for dial up sure ain't worth it.
A  30th of Oct, 2007 by
has any effort been made by any state agency to fix this robbery by ClearWire. I had there service for 6 months and as I type this posting I am on the phone canceling my service. They want to charge me $195 cancellation fee that is unfair if you can not provide a service to your customer, how can you charge them for canceling the service. any suggestion please let me know.
A  4th of Nov, 2007 by
As you can see I don't use clear wire e-mail because it is the worst. I get so much crampy e-mail that I never solicited. I thought I was the only one having problems with clear wire. I moved in an apartment complex with numerous apartments and I have very weak frequency. I have called and called their technical support and nothing. They keep telling me there is a clear wire tower not too far from me and I should get a good signal, and I keep saying that may well be but I am not getting a signal and get kicked off the internet and many times cannot even get on. No one is hearing me, and now they have taken money from my account that was not authorized and I am dreading the call. They have the rudest people in customer service and they will do anything to keep you from talking to a manger. They are telling me the same thing to cancel my contract it will cost $180.00. I absolutely hate this company and I will never sign a contract with any company again for any reason. I am looking forward to returning to dial-up.
N  28th of Nov, 2007 by
I have tried to discontinue my service with Clearwire due to the fact that my 20 year old son passed away this year and I cannot afford Clearwire because of debt. I have emailed Clearwire stating that I would even send in my son's death certificate for proof. When I called Clearwire and tried to explain this to Clearwire on the phone, they reminded me that I signed a 2 year contract that I wasn't aware of. I need to resolve this and have suffered far too much stress this year. I hope that anybody who wants to sign up for their service that the consumer is aware of how Clearwire operates. As far as how I rate this complaint, I agree with what my statement is.
N  29th of Nov, 2007 by

Clearwire - No service--refuse to cancel

I subscribed to Clearwire while I lived in Seattle. I asked what would happen if I moved out of the service area & was assured that I could cancel. Now that I'vc moved to Colorado, where there is no service, there ia a $160 cancellation fee!

Clearwire is not to be trusted. I signed understanding that I'd be charged a fee if I cancelled while still living in their service area.

ClearWire Logo ClearWire