Citi Mortgage / harassment

I have had a Citi Mortgage for over 4 years. The terms of my mortgage give me a fifteen day grace period to make my payment without a penalty. The day after the scheduled due date, I start receiving two to six phone calls a day telling me my payment is late and they want to talk to me. When I talk to them, they are very abusive saying "Your Payment Is Late", when in fact I am still within my fifteen day grace period. The phone calls persist every day, including Saturdays two to six times a day starting as early as 8am. Once my payment is made by telephone, the calls continue for days.

If I had known this abuse would happen, I would never have done business with them. My other home loan company has NEVER called me when my payment is made within the fifteen day grace period, as it should be.

My advice: DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH CITI BANK!

Ma

Comments

• Sb
      2nd of Jul, 2009

I have the exact same problem. The people are rude and don't care when you explain to them that you are not late. There response is along the lines of "when can we expect payment". I'm getting meaner with each abusive phone call. Punished for being on time...interesting way of doing business.

• Cp
      11th of Jul, 2009

I get the same thing. This is the only company that I've ever had an account with who does this. When they say that I'm late, I tell them that's incorrect then ask them to check my account for the last time I paid a late fee. I've never had to pay a late fee. When they tell me that they don't see one, then I tell them to call back when I'm actually late.

I often get the long recorded message. At times I get a live caller from Citimortgage who is either having a conversation with someone else while leaving me a recorded message, or I get the silent treatment but hear the background noise of other people working.

At the earliest opportunity, I'm refinancing with someone else. This harassment is uncalled for.

• Dm
      6th of Aug, 2009

I am having the same exact problem. I'm going to submit my next payment with a phone number change...possibly to a sex phone line. I've never made one late payment. This has got to be harassment.

Here is the direct number for Sanjiv Das, the CEO:

1-800-667-8424

When it picks up, press ZERO, then it will ask you to press 1 to say a name. Say "Sanjiv Das".

This will put you through to him or his secretary.

I've started calling this number and screaming at him every time they call me. Last month, they called 6 times a day for 12 days straight. This month, since I've started doing this, the calls have dropped somewhat. Let's see if we can get enough people calling Sanjiv directly, to make them stop this horrible practice for everyone.

BTW: Sanjiv is one of the biggest players in the destruction of our global economy. Be sure to thank him for screwing up the planet!

• He
      7th of Aug, 2009

I feel so much better after seeing these posts. I thought I was the only one. Years ago, I made my mortgage payment early. It arrived on the 31st of the prior month, was processed as extra principal, and on the 1st the payment was still due. I, too, have a 15-day grace period and never actually send a payment until the first of the month so it does not get processed early.

A couple months ago Citi started a harassment campaign during the grace period. Last month, I got a call telling me the payment was received, and another a couple hours later demanding payment! They don't "reset" the harassment algorithm on the auto-dialer until midnight, explained the person calling me.

This month, I got my first harassing phone call on Monday the 3rd. Was the office open on Saturday the 1st??

7th of Aug, 2009

Please, everyone follow this guide to resolve the CITI Bank Harassment!

Write your complaint to:

Houston, TX 77010-9050

800-613-674
    713-336-4301 (Fax)
    www.hlpwithmybakn.gov

The calls to me have stopped due to my contacting this office. They are the ONLY ones who are able to contact CITI Motrgage and request that they stop the phone calls.

Good Luck,
    Mark

7th of Aug, 2009

Okay, I messd up on the phone and e-mail

800-613-6743

www.helpwithmybank.gov

7th of Oct, 2009

I'm getting the same phone calls. Frankly at this time I'm willing to get a lawyer who would be willing to make a class action suit against them.

I, too, am making my payments every month within the grace period. My credit is excellent, and no late payments should have ever been recorded with citibank regarding my mortgage. This isn't even my original mortgage company... it was purchased by Citibank by ABM Moro who never had this problem with my payments.

9th of Nov, 2009

I believe that Citimotgage should take a serious consideration into changing its name to CitiGARBAGE. The reason for this is quite simple: Citigarbage has decided that treating its customers (including those with excellent on-time payors) like garbage. I have NEVER, EVER BEEN LATE on any of severeal mortgage accounts I have with this shameless company!!! I usually make my payments by the 5th of each month, well within the 15-day grace period they claim to offer its customers. Lately, the barage of harrasing calls has started to get under my skin!!! I have informed the caller, which sometimes originate from such far destinations as Philippines, that for every single call I get, I will delay my payment intentionally 2-3 days. I am standing by my decision. The company is clearly desperate for cash flow due to its incompetent and hasty business practices and now are looking to bully their own customers, "Soprano style" into makign payment early!!!

• Ty
      9th of Nov, 2009

Everyone, please make sure you file your complaint. I think if the number is overwhelming it think something may happen.

• Sh
      14th of Dec, 2009

OMG I thought we were the only ones! Like there was some sort of glitch in the system. Our payment is due on the 7th, with a 15 day grace period making it due no later than the 22nd and I have it set up through THEIR website to pay automatically on the 15th YET they still call and harass! We have excellent credit and we have never, ever been late with a payment. I think they are bullying us into not taking advantage of the grace period because they know we can actually pay it "early" if we wanted to...I'm not giving in. They can continue to wait for their payment. I would LOVE to see a class action law suit against Citi.

• Au
      8th of Mar, 2010

I too have had a CitiBank mortgage for four years. They have ALWAYS received my payment within the grace period, and I have ALWAYS paid from $20 to $180 EXTRA toward my principal amount. And yet today, they call me at my desk at work, with a number of coworkers within earshot, and they ask me when they can expect my payment, and how much I will be paying. They also wanted my email address and my cell number. I told them I don't have a cell phone, but that I would let them know when I have one. (Just how stupid do they think we are?)

Unfortunately my original mortgage was sold to CitiBank, so I have had no choice but to do business with these people. But believe me, I am going to double or quadruple my payment pay off this mortage as quickly as possible to keep them from making money off the interest, and I will NEVER DO BUSINESS AGAIN WITH CITIBANK.

Surely the name "Sanjiv Das" must translate to "Ebenezer Scrooge". I pity everyone who falls into their trap.

• Cr
      23rd of Aug, 2010

I just emailed this to Citibank...

YOU ARE IN VIOLATION of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act!
    Stop calling me when payment has been made!!! AND IS NOT LATE!

See #5
    U. S. Fair Debt Collection Practices § 806. Harassment or abuse
    A debt collector may not engage in any conduct the natural consequence of which is to harass, oppress, or abuse any person in connection with the collection of a debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:

(1) The use or threat of use of violence or other criminal means to harm the physical person, reputation, or property of any person.

(2) The use of obscene or profane language or language the natural consequence of which is to abuse the hearer or reader.

(3) The publication of a list of consumers who allegedly refuse to pay debts, except to a consumer reporting agency or to persons meeting the requirements of section 603(f) or 604(3)1 of this Act.

(4) The advertisement for sale of any debt to coerce payment of the debt.

(5) Causing a telephone to ring or engaging any person in telephone conversation repeatedly or continuously with intent to annoy, abuse, or harass any person at the called number.

(6) Except as provided in section 804, the placement of telephone calls without meaningful disclosure of the caller's identity.

• Du
      13th of Sep, 2010

I've finally had enough. I googled citibank and harrasment and this is the first place I found. I don't have to even explain the problem because it is the exact problem listed so many time here before. I have always paid my bills and never miss a payment yet they feel they have to call me constantly even after the payment is made. Count me in on any class action lawsuits or movements to criminalize Citibank. They have lost one great customer... me. I will pay off the measly loan soon then they will never have me as a customer again.

3rd of Nov, 2010

This is not legal advice, and I am not acting as anyone's attorney. Here is what I would do in this situation:

If CitiMortgage is calling my cell phone:

1. I would mail CitiMortgage a certified return receipt letter and inform them that I am revoking consent for them to call my cell phone. When the return receipt card comes back to me, I would save it along with a copy of the letter.

2. Check to see if it is legal to record telephone conversations in my state. If it is, purchase a recording device and begin to record all calls, especially the early portion of the call when the recording asks me to hold for a representative. There is no need to stay on the line after recording that part of the call.

3. Take photos of my phone CallerID, showing date/time of each call.

4. Keep logs of the calls, times/dates.

The above is what an attorney can use to help me sue for the caller violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, which provides for $500 to $1, 500 for each call made to my cell phone after I revoke consent with the letter described in #1.

This only applies to cell phones. I might also be able to sue them for invasion of privacy or infliction of emotional distress, if the calls were frequent enough, even if they were only made to my home phone.

No one is allowed to legally harass me by calling me a dozen times per day. Owing someone money does not allow them to harass me.

• Mi
      22nd of Jan, 2011

I too have been harassed by Citi Morgage. They informed me in August that my taxes were delinguent. The taxes in Bibb County are due in two equal payments on Oct.15 and Nov.15. Therefore how could they be late? Well, It did not stop here. I contined to get letters and I continued to talk to the customer service dept. Finally in January I was informed That I had been set up on a mandatory escrow . I am 79 years old and had my daughter take me to the tax office. I gave permission for the kind lady, Mrs.Renfroe to talk with someone from Citi Bank. She explained to them that My taxes were never late. She let them know Bibb county due dates. Needless to say Citi morg had sent a check paying my already paid tax bill. WHAT A MESS? At this time I can not get an apology out of Citi Bank . They are still referring to my taxes as extremely Delinquit. SOMEBODY PLEASE help Me!

5th of Mar, 2011

They have had me behind for months when I am current. When I get a job the first thing I will do is refinance with someone else. This is the most unprofessional company I ever had to deal with.

11th of Mar, 2011

CitiMortgage is the worst company I have ever dealt with.

26th of Dec, 2012

Having been forced to fall behind in my payments due to a hardship, I applied for HAMP from Citi. I was promised the resolution in 30 days. It has now been three years and still no resolution. In fact my payments have been increased two fold by CitiMortgage.

I have complied with all the required submissions and now have recived a notification that the attorneys are selling my home at auction in 60mdays. I have not received a judgement or anything other than a letter from the attorneys.

can someone please help?