Circuit City Rewards / Do not business with Circuit City!

United States Review updated:
I used my Circuit City Rewards (Chase) credit card and paid my bills on time for a couple of years, then I got into a financial bind due to being laid off from work, illness and then a death in the family. I began falling behind and went over my credit limit. I am now attempting to rectify the situation. Today, I decided to redeem the points I had "earned" making purchases prior to my temporary financial downfall, and today I requested the 7890 points that I am due. Circuit City Rewards informed me that since my account has been closed, I am no longer eligible to receive the money "I earned". I have paid late fees and finance charges already that total thousands of dollars, I was shocked to learn that they would also keep the money that "I earned". I feel robbed. This was my money, at least they could apply it to my balance. This is the thanks consumers get for opening credit cards. They do not cut you a break at all when you are actually trying to do the right thing. I will tell everyone I know not to do business with Circuit City and Chase Bank.

D  14th of Jul, 2007 by
No offense but this is your fault, not theirs. It says right in the rules:

"If your Account is closed for any reason, your membership in the Program will be terminated and the total balance of your accumulated reward earnings will be forfeited."

Also from above it seems like you wanted them to credit your account with the points. Maybe I read it wrong. Either way I bet you didn't read this either:

"Redeemed rewards are not refundable; replaceable; or transferable for cash, credit, or other rewards under any circumstances."

Lastly you didn't earn money:

"...also keep the money that 'I earned'."

You earned points.

Look it sucks you got into financial trouble but read the fine print. You have to take it on the chin on this one and don't blame them. Ohh and by the way, I definitely don't work for them or anything like that. I was just interested in applying for the program and thought I would google it to see the details and if there were any forums or blogs pertaining to it. I saw the details in their contract, that took about five minutes to read. I really don't think you did.

Circuit City Logo Circuit City