Circuit City / Restocking fee misinformation

My wife purchased a widescreen LCD monitor on Dec. 17, 2006 for my Christmas gift. I connected it to my PC and found that I would need to purchase a new video card.

We went to Circuit City (Concord Mills, NC) to return the monitor, but they relentlessly refused to waive the 15% restocking fee ($60). We were unaware of the policy, but it actually is posted:
1. Below the cash register (where one cannot see it since the cashier is blocking it)
2. On the back of the receipt (which can only be viewed after the purchase) and
3. At the return counter.

The worst part of it all is that they said that all the major stores (specifically naming Best Buy) have the same policy.

I went to Best Buy later that same day (Dec 26, 2006) to purchase a video card. I found that their restocking fee list does not include monitors. I also verified with the salesperson at Best Buy that they would accept the return of an opened monitor without any restocking fee.

Either Circuit City was misinformed about their competitions' policies or they were lying (as they implied my wife was when she stated that she was unaware of the restocking fee).

Obviously, I will never return to any store of theirs. If someone starts a class action lawsuit, please add my name to it.

Comments

• Be
      23rd of Jan, 2007

Potential Class Action Regarding Restocking Fees -- Advertisement for Information

Mr. Parks (and others):

I am a class action attorney who read your on-line post about the restocking fees which Circuit City has charged you and other customers. My firm is investigating these practices and is considering the pursuit of class action litigation against the company. As such, I would love to find out a bit more about your situation if you don't mind.

Before you read any further, however, please understand that, according to legal ethics I must inform you that: (1) this message should be considered "advertising;" (2) you should feel no obligation whatsoever to continue communicating with me, especially if you already have an attorney in this matter.

Now that we have that out of the way, if you still possess the documentation of your transaction, and would like to discuss the matter further - and the potential of a class action against Circuit City - respond to this post by writing to bschwartzman@greenerlaw.com with your preferred contact information, and I will get in touch with you. Please be assured that I will not attempt to contact you again unless you specifically request it. Thanks in advance for your time.

Ben Schwartzman
    Greener Banducci Shoemaker, PA

• To
      29th of Jan, 2007

I too was ripped off by Circuit City. I purchased a flat screen monitor for my computer. The new screen didn't work well with my older computer. I carefully re-packed the monitor and returned it to Circuit City less than 2 days later. I was charged a $60.00 re-stock fee. When i bought the monitor i ask the salesman if i could return it in case it didn't work with my older computer. He said sure there would be no problem. He never said anything about a 15% re-stocking fee. I would like to be part of a class action lawsuit if that is possible. Circuit City should have to tell a customer when an item has a re-stock fee.

• Me
      21st of Feb, 2007

If you would have read your receipt after you signed for the purchase, you still have the option to return the item unclosed with no restock fee. You could have returned it if you didn't agree with the terms of the sale. Maybe this should be a lesson to read your receipts. Any store doesn't have control if you read YOUR receipt or not. They gave you the terms of the sale in your hands & it was your failure to read it.

• Da
      23rd of Mar, 2007

My son recently purchased a computer system advertised by Circuit City (CC). The ad required my son to buy three specific components to qualify for rebates offered. One of the components, the tower containing the drives, was defective. He called CC the same day of the purchase and asked what to do. A CC rep told him that since there were none of the same towers left, he would have to contact Hewlett Packard, ask for a shipping box, send the tower out, and wait for a replacement. Naturally, my son asked if he could get his money back instead. The rep said yes, but what she failed to mention was CC's ultimate manifestation of greed called a 15% restocking fee. So we took the computer back to CC where we were informed of the fee. The fight began.

The "customer service?" rep that we brought the defective unit to told us that there would be a 15% restocking fee for the two working components, but that he would (so generously) wave the fee for the defective component. I told him that the system was advertised and purchased as a unit, and didn't function as a unit with a defective piece. He said it didn't matter because the two working components would work with another tower of equal or lesser value. My son tried to find a replacement of equal or lesser value, but found nothing that he would be satisfied with, so he opted for a laptop instead.

In the meantime, I asked to see the manager. Waiting for the manager, I took some time to read my son's receipts, looking for any reference to a restocking fee. There was none. The manager and I had the same argument the CS rep and I had. Then I asked him where it was written that there would be a restocking fee on returned items. He turned smugly and pointed to a board posted on the back wall of customer service where about three paragraphs down at the end of the paragraph was CC's restocking fee policy. Let me say it again. On the back wall of customer service...NOT at the checkout counters where most people buy CC's stuff.

The policy read roughly that a restocking fee would be imposed on returned items that were opened. I asked the manager if customers were supposed to open boxes one at a time and check them to see if they were defective before opening the next one. He said yes. I asked him if he did. He said yes. I didn't call him a liar. By the way, what if the tower box was opened last? This conversation was going nowhere, so I told him the policy was BS. He copped out saying that if I was going to be rude, the conversation was over. I said,"Then the conversation is over." He scurried away.

Bottom line. I feel that Circuit City ripped my son off for about $350.00 due to lost rebates, or at least for $80.00 in restocking fees. If my son had waited several days to report the defective component, then I could accept the restocking fee, but that was not the case. He reported the problem immediately, and should have been rewarded for that, not punished.

Circuit City now has a new name in my household. It is Circuit (rhymes with city). Feel free to use it. CC has also lost five customers in my family for life. I will also be writing editorials to the local newspapers and telling anyone I can about CC's policies.

• Lu
      23rd of Mar, 2007

I recently purchase online at a circuit city a Pioneer GPS System at a cost of 469.99. When I received it in the mail on November 8, 2006.

I opened the delivery box and inside was the gps system, now mind me there was no tape on the box, no warning that there was a restocking fee on the box, nothing, so I open the box and low and behold all the parts were not in the box. Now I have two people at my place of employment that received the same system months before and mentioned that a car adapter should have came with this system. I went to circuit city to exchange the product for one that had an car adapter and was told that they no longer have this product in stock and will no longer be getting it because it was discontinued.

They told me that I could get one in the same price range, but I wanted that same product that they said they no longer have. I was told to contact pioneer to order one at a price of 39.99 (me pay) I refused they said they could order one but it would take awhile (no I want what I plaided for) So now I am back at the service desk, with xmas help at the desk who kindly says to me there is going to be a 15% restocking fee, (what) first of all I did not opened the box originally, someone else had to in order for there not to be an adapter in it, now you want me to pay for something that was not in the box.

Second, Its not my fault that this product was discontinued and now you want me to find something else, I want what I want, not what you want me to have. She kindly looks on the computer and say to me that its going to be $70.50 plus sale tax on the $70.50 would cost me 74.73 for restocking fee. If anyone can guide me in who to contact about this situation, please help they are not getting away with this practice. They are scam artist, don't buy any electronic from them or you would be next.

• Be

Dear Mr. Hornbeck, TS (and others):

Ben Schwartzman
    Greener Banducci Shoemaker, PA

• Do
      23rd of Mar, 2007

I just returned an Olympus Stylus 730 digital camera to Circuit City today, February 23, 2007. I had originally purchased it on February 12, 2007. The photo quality of the camera was not what I expected, compared to my old Sony digital. I was really shocked and surprised when the saleslady told me there would be a 15 % restocking fee unless I bought another digital camera. I asked her if this was store policy since I was not informed about this. She told me it was store policy and the return conditions were listed on the back of the receipt. I looked on the reverse side of the receipt. Printed very lightly in a faded gray color were several paragraphs regarding the store's return policy. The front of the receipt was printed in easy-to-read black ink with all kinds of offerings: reward points, their own Visa card, a chance to win a prize at their website, one of five $1,000 gift cards! The bottom line: The store makes plenty of money on returns and bouncebacks. My bottom line: I'll never buy from Circuit City again, period. I should not be penalized $35 for a product that underperforms and sold by this "We're with you" company. Will make sure I give all my family and friends a heads up before they venture out to Circuit City.

Doug Flynn, Lebanon, PA

15th of Jul, 2007

I am writing this to warn everyone of Circuit City's misleading return policy, and their lack of signs and information for customers before they make a purchase. Circuit City realizes that very few people read a return policy until they need to return something, and knew that they could make a bit of a profit off of this fact. So they place their return policy on the back of the receipt, but they place it in very small grey print.

I just recently purchased a computer with Windows Vista on it, which was a horrible mistake, the operating system clearly isn't ready for the public, so I had nothing but problems with it, I couldn't get online and stay on for very long with my dial-up connection, even after switching providers. So I decided after a couple of days I was tired of being frustrated, Gateway.com did not want to help solve the issue, so I thought that perhaps Circuit City, who claims such incredible customer service would be willing to help. I was wrong, they merely wanted to steal my money by charging me 75 bucks so they could put the computer back out on the shelf and wait for the next person to buy it and return it.

I asked the returns associate why I wasn't informed of the policy when I purchased the computer, she pointed to a sign in the back room, where no one could see it, regarding their return policy. I could not believe that she attempted to tell me that I should have walked back there to view their policy before purchasing the computer. I informed her that the employee that sold me the computer should have taken the time to inform me about the return policy, after all he took the time to sell me a monitor, an extended warranty, and Circuit City's Fire Dog service, but not once did he mention the fact that if I opened my computer Circuit City was going to have a fun time collecting my money.

I warn anyone from purchasing anything from Circuit City, because their policy pertains to nearly everything, and their is no way of knowing if something will work or not unless you open the product, and most will never want to return the product for same exact product. Most people once they have been wronged by one product, won't want the same product, but Circuit City does not provide you with a choice in the matter. If you don't get the same exact product, you can not exchange for something similar, you'll automatically have to pay the restocking fee which Circuit City will collect gladly from you.

Circuit City might lure customers by lower prices, but they know that a majority of customers will attempt to bring products back, therefore they pocket more profit from consumers. If anyone knows of any class action lawsuit against Circuit City let me know, until then, be aware that Circuit City is out to steal your money.