Chegg.com / Horrible Customer Service

Chegg.com used false advertising to induced me to click on their site in the first place. The low price of book rental stated in their Google ad was false-- the lowest price on Chegg.com was $73.47 and NOT the $22.56 advertised.

When I clicked for live customer service, the answers were absolutely stupid and horrible. It is like an automated system that does not comprehend English. AND, in order to contact their customer service via email you must first establish an account with chegg. Forget that. I'm posting my complaint here and sending this link to their "press room" (press@chegg.com). What an utter joke of a company.

Here is a transcript of my "chat."

==========================================

Nina :
Hello, I'm Nina, an automated chat agent, and I'm here to answer your questions about Chegg. Just type into the box below and click Send to get started.
You :
Hi: I "googled" a book title and Chegg.com's ad said "rent this book for $22.56. I clicked your website and the lowest price is $73.47. Where do I rent this book for the advertised price of $22.56?

Nina :
Sorry, but your phrase is too long and I will not be able to perform a full analysis. I would be very grateful if you could try to make it a bit shorter and more concise.
You :
How do I rent a book for your advertised price of $22.56? When I clicked your ad the price was 73.47, not $22~

Is this short enough?
Nina :
I'm not sure what you are saying. Could you please rephrase your question?
You :
Which part of what I have written so far do you not understand? I would be grateful I if could understand.

Nina :
Perhaps I have not properly understood what you said and for that I apologise. Could you rephrase your request please?
You :
When I explain you say my explanation is too long, but I will try again. Your ad said a book is $22~ but when I click on the ad it says the book is really $73~ How do I get the book for the advertised rental price of $22?

You :
What length question can you answer?

Nina :
What precisely are you looking for?
Where is My Account?
You :
ISBN: [protected] for the advertised rental price of $22.56.

Nina :
Do you want me to find this textbook for you ?
Yes, for a rental price of 22.56 not 73.47

Nina :
Ok. To see the results, click here.
Nina :
I've just opened the page for you.
You :
No help what so ever. I feel like you have completely ignored my question.

Nina :
I am sorry. If you rephrase your question, maybe I can help you. I am at your service if you have any further questions.
You :
My question is about the price, not locating the book.

Nina :
Click on one of the following statements which best matches your situation to obtain a response.Do you mean?:
-Where is my book?
-Why is there sales tax?
-How long can I leave items in my shopping cart?
-Where is My Account?
You :
No, what I mean is where can I rent a book for the price Chegg advertised on google?

Nina :
What precisely are you looking for?
-How do I order?
-How long can I leave items in my shopping cart?
-Why is there sales tax?
-How much does it cost?
To rent the book for $22.56 as advertised instead of $74

Nina :
Click on one of the following statements which best matches your situation to obtain a response.What precisely are you looking for?
-How do I order?
-What shipping methods do you offer?
- How long does it take to get my books?
-What is the defined length of a rental?
None of those fit

Nina :
I'm sorry if this isn't what you're looking for. Could you please rephrase that?
You :
Do you read English? Or is there a language barrier?

Nina :
I rarely have time to read because of work. What can I do to help you?
You :
What I mean is, do you comprehend what I have written to you or is English your second language (not fully conversant in it)?

You :
What you can do to help me is tell me where on your site I can rent the book for 22.56 instead of 73.47

Nina :
We care about our customers and are committed to helping them every step of the way. Chegg Customer Service can be reached by email or phone.
Email:
Chegg Customer Service can be contacted by selecting the 'Contact Us' link located on the bottom of each page. You may also open a ticket, or inquiry, by logging in to 'My Account'. You will receive a response within 24-48 hours.
Phone:
You can reach a live Chegg customer service representative at 1-888-99-CHEGG [protected] Mon.-Fri. 8:00am-5:00pm PST or by clicking here.

You :
No. I will contact Chegg through "Contact Us." Thanks anyway.

Nina :

Comments

• Br
      25th of Sep, 2009

Chegg.com is horrible. Their information listed is FALSE. They mislead you. Their customer service is HORRIBLE. I reached them three times for a problem I was having with confusing and incorrect information on their listings, to no avail. They still have no addressed this problem, after weeks and weeks of notifying them.

Avoid Chegg.com at all costs. It's not worth having shaky shipping, unreliable service, and HORRIBLE customer service. I would never, ever, ever pay Chegg.com anything again, EVER.

• Sc
      28th of Oct, 2009

They do falsely advertise...they say its a SALES PRICE for the book not a RENTAL. I could've gone to ebay and bought it for the same price or less.

• Ai
      14th of Dec, 2009

I rented a book from Chegg and now I'm trying to get on the site so I can return it because I have to print it from the internet, and the site wont open. it keeps telling me the link is broken... Is there any other way to get a hold of this site cause I have nothing and I dont want to end up getting charged for the book.

• Mo
      15th of Dec, 2011

Im new to college and already having problems. Cheggs tells me in 8 days I need to return their books. Ok.
    But why does it say I have PAYED FOR THEM AND THAT THEY ARE MINE? MINE TO KEEP?? I tried customer service and got crap cant even enter the chat. Go to Ups.com and print off a ship free slip cant do that so Im going to get charged anyway. Cant find one of the slips for the book AND THE BOXES!! For God's sake. I jsut printed off everything in the return section If I didnt have one of the slips to the books at least Id be screwed because unlike all other websites, you cant find their return address anywhere I am deleting my account screw it. I Had to find another box to ship the crap in and I gurantee that Im going to get ### for it. I am on the verge of starting a god damned riot. Its bad enough colleges like to do crap that you don't even need and try to enroll you in insurance and crap like that to get every dime out of you. This site doesn''t tell you what anything is and I will never order form here again. I GURANTEE THAT. I should have just bought the crap upfront!

• Co
      5th of Feb, 2014

Chegg is basically a scam website.