Chef Depot / Most Obnoxious Response to a Broken (Shoddily Packed) Oil Bottle

1 1940 Internationale PkwyWoodridge, IL, United States

OMG! How do these people stay in business? I ordered a very pretty (and very expensive) hand pained Olive Oil bottle. It arrive broken in half in an oil soaked box due to a very flimsy packing job and not even bothering to put "fragile" on the box. The bottle had no resemblance to the one on the site either. The very rude person I contacted, owner I think, told me he packed it himself very well and that the bottle being totally different from the photo is because it is hand painted (nothing on their site indicated each bottle is different). After I sent him photos of the disaster he refunded me part of what I paid. When I emailed him asking what about the rest he answered that once the item left their premises it was my property, so I should pay for his shipping cost! Then proceeded to blame me for his losing money on this! And since he sent it by Priority Mail it's insured for more than the cost but he told me when I called the day before that he didn't want to bother and file a claim because the post office wouldn't cover a liquid. This was either a lie, or he knew the post office will take one look at the photos of how shoddily the thing was packed and would deny his claim, or he simply is ignorant of the rules. I buy a lot online and fortunately I never had to deal with a merchant this irresponsible and obnoxious. Needless to say my credit card company will deal with him from now on.

Chef Depot