Charter One Bank / customer service

United States, Ohio
I had my wallet lifted while visiting Chicago. I notified credit cards and bank within 1/2 hour of the theft. When I called Charter One, I explained my situation, canceled my debit card and put a stop payment on the checks in my wallet. I thought this was the end to a bad incident. At no time did the customer service representitive inform me of any steps I should take to protect my identity and bank account. 6 months later, a check for a small amount posted to my account to a merchant I frequented (the store customer card was in the stolen wallet) I did not notice that the check number was from the stolen checks. 2 months later, two checks posted to my account totaling $3600.00 written on the stolen checks. I immediately notified my branch. The first thing the teller told me was I should have closed the checking account after the theft and that stop payments on checks was only good for 6 months. This was valuable information that SHOULD have been told to me by the representitive who spoke to me after the theft. If I had been advised to close the account because of the risk of future fraud, I would have done so immediately. Charter One accepts no liability because I missed the first check that was cashed and didn't notify within 30 days. They condsider all 3 checks one fraud incident. I have disputed this claim to no avail. I believe Charter One bears responsibility for not properly advising me to close the checking account after the theft. Their customer service represetitives should immediately forward any calls regarding check/identity theft to a fraud specialist who can properly advise the customer. Anyone who has had checks lost or stolen please close your account to prevent future fraud.

CharterBank Logo CharterBank