Cascade Subscription Service, Inc / charged me for 3 years of a magazine subscription even though i never wanted it or heard of the magazine they sold me.

1 5523 University Way N.E. Suite 101Seattle, WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 206.523.3500

they called my number telling me i signed up for a magazine name American Journal of Nursing and said i owed them almost $90 for a 3 year subscription. it is a total scam. they called me once before and the whole time i was saying no thank you, i dont want it, etc.. they recorded the conversation at the end when he was saying how much i owed them and that i would get a bill in the mail and then hung up. dont ever do business with this company. IT'S A SCAM!!! BEWARE!!!

Comments

Dp
  1st of May, 2009

Thanks for the input, I thought I was the only one who has been scammed by this company. Abut a year ago they starting calling me to let me know that I had sign up for a subscription to "Parent Magazine, not only did I not sign up my children are grown and I didn't need a magazine for partents with small children. I stated to them that I could afford a subscription and I had sent back the reminder cards-- THREE TIMES with the words on it PLEASE CANCEL SUBSCRIPTION". They never once the company acknowledge my request. But they have put a notice on my credit report and I have tried twice to send letters but no response as of this notice here. thanks for letting me vent.

Ae
  7th of Aug, 2009

I have also just received a "Notice of Intent" threatening to have my account referred to their attorney from Cascade Subscription Service for a magazine I did not order. The letter claims I have not paid on my subscription within the allotted 30 days (?). I have left messages on their ansering service several times and sent email asking what this invoice is for since I never ordered any magazines from Cascade. I received a call back from an older woman who left me voicemail only identifying herself as Harbor Collections, not leaving a phone number, much less a direct line or extension or even her name. I have written a formal letter of complaint to this company in hopes there is some explanation, but I would agree this is just a scam. Beware to others and Thank you!!

Ca
  9th of Nov, 2009

They are not authorized agents for two magazines they falsely claim our business owes them subscription fees for, and they will harass you (which crosses over to a federal offense when they do it by phone, I believe). I called the magazine directly--no such subscription exists (of course) and they are familiar with Cascade Subscription Services wrongly representing themselves.

The action consumers can (and should) take is to file a complaint against Cascade Subscription Services to the Better Business Bureau:

Ul
  1st of Feb, 2010

This is crazy cause the same company called me under the guise of a internet web provider. Not understanding how they got my information or my phone number. Can someone tell me how this happend

Ka
  1st of Mar, 2010

I just had a conversation with Cascade WEb hosting at 800-860-6445 about a 3rd party billing that was put on my phone bill for $12.95/mo since at least November. They had a defunct email address and tried to say my spouse had ordered web hosting through People PC. I informed them I was the party who set up the People PC acct and we did NOT order any web hosting. Haven't had a web page since 1999. We are supposed to get a check for 4 mos refund, but I'll believe that when I see it. At Least Cincinnat Bell blocked our account for any 3rd party charges. I am pursuing complaints with BBB in their supposed home city of Carson City, Nevada. These people are crooks and nothing but.

Ch
  8th of Mar, 2010

This happened to me as well, but i knew right off the bat that this was a scam. They have sent me mail telling me that i have to pay for my subscription of Glamour magazine. I have never ever subscribed for a magazine nor could i afford to do so. A representative name DERRICK has called me over and over, even played a recording of a conversation i had with another cascade representative. They nearly fooled me playing the end of the conversation where i did give them my name and number ( only because they said they wanted to verify something). I really thought that i caused this but i realized they only played the end of the conversation...PLZ DO NOT GET SCAMMED. If you have DO SOMETHING, GET YOUR MONEY BACK. CASCADE SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE IS A HUGEEEE SCAM.

Ad
  11th of Mar, 2010

This happened to me as well, last night I received a phone call at 8:00 pm by some guy named Derek, and he played the recording, which I never agreed to. Anyway he claims that I owe them $182.90 for a subscription of Parents and OK magazine. I don't read these magazines, and dont even know how they ever even got my phone number in the first place. Also, the representative that called was extremely rude, speaking in a very harrassing and hostile tone, saying things like "you know you ordered this" and, "you're playing games here" the representive's name is Derek. Its such a shame that such prestigious magazines use these kinds people for their subscritption services. Its not fair that I have to pay for a magazine I never read!! Does anyone have any suggestions, as to what I can do?? These people are cheaters, and a TOTAL FRAUD.

Pi
  8th of Apr, 2010

This same thing happend to me they have been harrassing me for the last six months and i keep telling them that i didn't order no subsrciption now i owe the 50 dolloars for some magzine that i told them i didn't want they replayed part of the message witch was altared and they started threating me for this mite i add i call the company that owns this magizine and they only charge 10 dollars a year for it so not only are they scaming people they are over chargeing for these supposed subscriptions don't fall for it and roport it as soon as possible..

Fi
  20th of May, 2010

WOW...we echo all the comments over here...they are trying to dish money from us for Parent & Child subscription that we never ordered or agreed to pay. I have registered a complaint with FTC and am in the process of writing a letter to Cascade, Scholastic (sender of the magazine) CEO, some business bureaus in Seattle, etc. Hope this will bring some heat...reduce some of these folks' scams

Be
  31st of Jul, 2010

I have recently received the same type of harassment for the past six months. I'm glad that others have complained and I hope someone puts a stop to this type of harassment. As far as the bad credit report goes, this Derek person threatened me with reporting me to Experion credit bureau today, if I didn't pay over the phone. May I also add that he went so far is to tell me that he knew that I was in the National Guard and told me that he had been in the Washington National Guard. Then, he told me that he could go so far as to have my National Guard wages garnished...Oh yes he did. I asked to speak to his supervisor first. He burst out laughing stating, "I've just recently been promoted and I am the manager". That's when I said, "All right. That's enough. Goodbye". It just didn't feel right for a tell-a-marketer of a magazine to be threatening to garnish my wages or reporting a bad credit report on your credit report. It is definitely ran by some very unprofessional people and I hope that this scam is stopped. Buyer's Beware. What kind of company supports threatening the soldiers that support their freedom, anyway? I really hope that American Journal of Nursing is not doing business with individuals that act this unprofessional.

bellabenefield@gmail.com

To
  2nd of Aug, 2010

I am willing to bet 90% of you guys ordered mags(the calls are recorded)adn now for one reason or another you dont feel like you need to pay up! Cascade had been in buisness for over 20 years, were not hard to find, were right on the ave. in the u-dist.-stop complaing and pay your bills!

Fo
  31st of Jan, 2011

As a former employee of cascade I can attest to the fact that they are super high pressure sales. The employees are pressed to make a certain amount per hour in sales or they will be fired ($50+). They set up a situation where the employees are in fear for there jobs so they will do any scandalist thing they can to make the sale. Leaving there was one of the best things that I have done in a long time and I would recommend that you don't buy from them just get from the publisher.

Do
  3rd of Mar, 2011

I have been given false information from the company concerning magazines. I have been billed for something that I have yet to receive! This anger me greatly. Why Lie just to make a dollar. No good will come out of it

Ha
  6th of Jul, 2011

TOTALLY DISAGREE. THIS COMPANY IS AWESOME. Their service allows me to combine all my magazines into one easy bill. I have checked them out completely and they are 100% NOT a scam!! If you place an order it is recorded and when there is a dispute they are pleasant about checking the recording and quick to resolve any legitimate complaints. If the recording confirms your order then why shouldn't you be expected to pay? They floated my order for more than 90 days before considerately calling to remind me of the balance. They could just have easily turned it over to a collection service. I love this company and plan on using them for everything including gifts next Christmas.

Ja
  2nd of Aug, 2011

This company comes through on everything they offer. The funny thing after reading these complaints and looking further into the situations is that these people placed valid orders when they knew they couldn't afford it. The company will cancel orders if they were not placed properly. So moral of the story don't order anything if you can't pay. Congradulations pissed off people for blaming others instead of yourself.

Fs
  15th of Dec, 2011

I am also being harassed by this horrible company . Somebody needs to investigate this .

Pj
  28th of Dec, 2011

I was suppose to get a preview of a magazine never got it just a 2 year subscription sent a letter of cancellation to the company then got a threatening phone call telling me I had to give them my credit card info and take care of the bill right then and there. I will probably get stuck paying for a magazine I don't want but I will be sure to slam the phone down then next time they call cause they are rip off artist at their best. I suggest not doing business by phone cause you can not get anything in writing that supports you. These types of companies should be put out of business and shut down for good!

Fa
  29th of Dec, 2011

They altered my recording to say I ordered the magazine. The guy said he would send me a free issue of the magazine to check out, and if i liked it, I could fill out the order form and mail it back. He said it'd be 1 - 2 weeks, here it is 5 months later, no magazine, only threats to take me to court. Upon calling them they were pissed off and cussing at me to pay my bill. I filed a complaint with the BBB.

Ia
  29th of Jan, 2012

I'd strongly suggest the "do not call" list...companies are forced to abide (and pay regular fees for said list) or risk thousands in fines per violation!

Ad
  20th of Jun, 2012

I'm willing to bet that none of these anonymous complainers would appreciate the original sales call recording containing their voice placing a legit order being posted along with the complaint.