Care.com / bad practices and service

1 TN, United States Review updated:

We were looking for a nanny to help out with our daughter so I signed up with Care.com and ran an ad. At first, things went well. We got some applicants and were in the process of scheduling interviews. Then one day, I went to sign in and couldn't. I sent a message to them and received a generic response stating that my account had been terminated. They had just taken money out of my account so it wasn't like I didn't pay for the service. I wrote them back and asked them to give me a reason and a refund. They wouldn't - only gave a regurgitation of their policy that states they can cancel your account at any time without warning. I really don't care what their 'policy' states. They took my money and then cancelled me for no reason. It also angers me that they don't even have a phone number listed anywhere so that I could talk to an actual person. It is just bad business.

Comments

• Su
      8th of Sep, 2012

Do your homework. People always complain if they don't get things to go the way they want. I think it is baseless to make stories because God don't like ugly or liars. Care.com is awesome. I know 1st that most of the people who complain are cheap parents who want pay 10 and have too many expectations. If you want free childcare stay home.

• Ki
      21st of Mar, 2013

I joined Care.com about 2 years ago looking for a nanny position. I had been employed with a family for 16 years as their nanny before this. I found 2 wonderful families through Care.com for which I am still employed on a part time basis. I was looking for a nanny position to complete my week. I applied for a position with one family and was "hired" the next day. On my first day there I realized this was not the right fit, but I wanted to think it through. Keep in mind all communication was through Care.com, so I did not have their phone number and they did not have a land line so I couldn't look in the white pages. I sent the family a VERY NICE email stating that I felt this was not the right position for me. I never heard back from her and was immediately "terminated" from Care.com. My assumption is that she filed a complaint which led to the "termination". I have been a nanny for 25 plus years and I take it very serious. I love what I do and have an amazing bond with all of my families. The email that Care.com sends out to EVERYONE makes it sound like I did something terrible. I never got to defend myself. Anybody can press the little button and make up lies and ruin someones reputation. It sickens me that this women was able to get away with this. Luckily I have 2 devoted families that have backed me up 150%.

• Co
      11th of Jun, 2013

I have had awful experiences three times with Care.com. The first was they cancelled my subscription with no explanation; second, they slandered me with a false and incorrect "background check" and last, they claimed I was an agency and cancelled me. These people are racist, opportunists who denigrate the vocation of domestic services. Anyone out there have web page and marketing skills, I have an idea how to pull this company up by the short hairs.

18th of Aug, 2013

I was with care dot com and posted a profile as a nanny or baby nurse with over 15 yrs. experience. I was offered a job but turned it down due to distance and what was expected of me, a two month old two yr. old twins and a severely disabled child for only 12.00, when i live 30 minutes away, and the fact they had six nanny cams all over the house and one in bathroom for bath times? no trust or reason for that extreme compare to what the family wanted to pay, and having to deal with all of that I said no..the next day a Mom contacted me and wanted to pay me 5.00 a hour for four children I explained to her that's illegal and not even close to minimum wage or respectable to care for four young infants for 1.25 a hr each. I told her to do some research on the laws at least in MI, of hiring private help or care givers, so I told her no thank you that at that wage she wasn't going to get good quality care. Well guess what the very Next day I received a mean Email from CARE.COM stating my profile was terminated not giving me one answer or replying to my responses. I have the right to earn minimum wage or the 15.00 starting rate I charge because I'm very good at what I do and love I've had training and experience. How dare they do that I had over 20 applications out for potential jobs and they screwed me. And now all those potential jobs and my applications are job, loss of wages, I'm reporting them ASAP to the BBB and if I have to, I feel like I may even get a attorney for wrongful removal due unknown reasons, but I could guess why, from a site, they my state their site has every right to remove you but when you apply or tell a client they're cheap in so many words, no way...in my line of work thankfully I've meet many great attorneys, and I'm highly educated not stupid, who I will be calling since they do want to let me have my account where one of those 15 jobs I applied for could've responded be bud know nothing...but unemployment THANKS CARE. NOTHING. I was probably on of the best and most experienced nannies they had on there. I worked there for a great family in 2012 and they said I was the best person they had ever left their child with...the funny thing is I found a job on care. Com last yr. and my family said they loved me I'm done letting these agencies treat people w no respect and there generic rules that they can make up to mean whatever they want at the moment they nee to use them...now what? I think ill start watching babies in my own home where at least I know ill be giving the best care to great families. But I'm def not going to let this go with care I want my profile back or I swear to god I will take legal action on vague contract and unclear written warnings, with no explanations given.. good luck to everyone else be careful and be safe...I'll find my forever family somewhere. God bless and care.com SHAME ON YOU and YOUR CO. BBB I'm on my way along with JEFFERY FIGER LAW OFFICES.

• Ne
      29th of Aug, 2013

Care.com has unapproved around 10 of my photos. They were all professional photos & did not need to be rotated. I don't know what to do. Is this happening to anyone else?

• So
      2nd of Sep, 2013

yes, they have done the same to me. I have no photo, and my stats say no one has viewed my profile. I find that a bit odd as well, seeing as though I message at least 4 parents a day. You mean to tell me NO ONE has been curious about my request. I have parents I babysit for on sittercity.com and they were fine with my photo. I believe care.com forces you to make that payment..

• Ka
      4th of Sep, 2013

Yes, they are completely bizarre and frankly unfair about their photo approval process. I put up two pictures of just me, taken from the neck up... smiling, with flowers in the background, and they quickly sent me a not approved message with their reasoning being, I may not be "recognizable" or it's "bad quality or perhaps offensive." I find that totally ridiculous and it makes me much less likely to use their services at this point. I'm not going to go have a "Care.com photoshoot" with 100 different variations in hopes of one maybe fitting their guidelines. If this picture was denied, I don't see how any profiles on their website even have pictures. Sorry to rant...

• Pl
      7th of Sep, 2013

This is a different topic, but still regards Care.com. I have to sound off because I'm a mom who is absolutely sickened by this company's commercials (so much so that I would never consider using its services...looks like that's a good call, judging from the other complaints!), which show bratty children tormenting their caregivers while cutesy music plays and the company owner shrugs and laughs. Is it really funny when a child says "NO!"? Can't we find a proper balance between the uber-strict 50s children-should-be-seen-and-not-heard method and the current laissez faire mentality? I once watched a fellow busy Manhattan mother come home from work and immediately fetch some crackers that her toddler was screaming for before she even removed her shoes...even though the very patient and kind nanny had just told him it was almost dinner time and he couldn't have the crackers because he'd just had a snack. Any idiot could see this was out if guilt, but what did she think she was teaching her son, that mommy loved him? No, she was teaching him that he was more important than her and could always have anything he wanted. So what happens when that little boy grows up and learns a much different lesson from the world? Read Think! by Lisa Bloom and set a standard for healthy boundaries and discipline that will actually create good human beings, not entitled, egomaniacal monsters, PLEASE! And Care.com owner, if you're listening...stop dumbing America down!

11th of Sep, 2013

They let me know I was being blocked and could no longer use their services for finding a nanny position I had 16 yrs experience was a professional baby nurse high references no complaints ever, they just dropped me even though I paid my membership. I feel like if you turn a potential job down and then the family is mad or upset and they let care know you as a professional said no to employment they dropped us and have turned down our repeated request for a answer to why? They also threatened and did let all my families I applied with that I was removed from care without reason given that's deformation of my character how dare they? I've been a nanny for many years and I'm a great one at that. I may sew I don't know yet I feel degraded.

• Do
      31st of Oct, 2013

They didn't approve you because you didn't pay for a membership nor did you pay for a background check, they don't care about the community all they want to do is fatten their pockets. But whats done in the dark will always come to light and before long they will be sued or better yet have a class action law suit, they should've known better than to come to Texas! SCAMMERS DO NO T SIGN UP FOR A MEMBERSHIP!

• Mo
      1st of Nov, 2013

Who here would like to file a class action lawsuit against care.com?

4th of Nov, 2013

Care .com is a dirty business. I believe soon they will no longer be in service if we as a community stand up and don't let their inaccurate and possible illegal rules ruin people's reputations. And from the children shown on commercial they really need nanny s who can correct the parents bad parenting of letting children talk back to adult and yell. Great job though with the were a family co. Attitude yah right!

12th of Nov, 2013

Hi Melcarnley,

We're sorry about your experience with Care.com. In regards to payments between you and a family, Care.com leaves that discussion to be between the caregivers and the families hiring them. We are not an agency, we are a platform set up for families to meet caregivers, and caregivers to meet families. We provide both families and caregivers with the tools they need to make a smart hiring or job decision.

As stated in our Terms of Use that you agree to upon enrollment, Care.com reserves the right to close an account for any reason or no reason, with our without notice. Further, we do not always disclose the reasons as to why an account has been closed.

We apologize for your experience, and wish you the best of luck in your job search!

Regards,
    Care.com Member Care Representative

6th of Jan, 2014

Care.com has the worst customer service ever and zero loyalty to its customers. After paying monthly premiums for over a year, I left a miserable employer (the worst!) who then retaliated by posting an undeserved negative review on my profile. I responded with a post detailing the truth of the matter - which of course was unbecoming to the employer. Care.com allowed the negative review towards myself to stand but would not allow my response. It made no sense. The employer had burned through numerous caregivers in the past (for good reason!) yet Care.com threw me under the bus. Steer clear of this organization. They do not deserve your money.

22nd of Jan, 2014

I was amazingly surprised at how many people have been terminated from Care.com without explaination. I hired an attorney who can not get any information, based on what we all signed saying we can be terminated for any reason at any time without explaination.

Someone, an attorney friend of mine who knows how contracts like this work. She has suggested going on the news or reporting it to the news.

Anyone here willing to do that in there area? I am in the Boston area, and am looking for people to join in. It would also be wonderful if we all did it on our own local news.

What do ya think?

[email protected]

• Ld
      17th of Mar, 2014

Wow, all of these stories are familiar now. I've been a child care giver for 10+ years. I spent 5 years on this site building a great profile with awesome reviews/connections and building relationships with people. I had a clean background check and not one person who would say a bad word about me. All of a sudden I get an email from Care.com stating that my membership has been terminated. Again, like all other stories here, absolutely no reason and when I called they refused to give one. I'm almost 100% sure it's a family that I worked for trying to get back at me for deciding to leave after putting up with the appalling behavior of their child for WAY too long. Was I given a chance to explain my side of the story and the fact that I'm innocent? NO. Their rules are ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. I have 10+ families that I've worked for that would stand up and defend me and tell of how well I care for children and work hard, but my reputation and my future job possibilities get completely wrecked just because one family, ticked off because things didn't go their way, call up Care and tell them who knows what lie to have my membership terminated. Yeah, thanks for NOTHING Care.com! I'll not be recommending you and your business won't be lasting long if you continue to run it this way.

29th of Mar, 2014

Care.com is a good newspaper, billboard & website but do not leave any personal info on it. You can slowly find out a little about families and care givers in time. Care.com will ask you for your info & at the same time will write a disclaimer stating that they are not responsible for any damage. I would think there are predators out there who want your info to sell, harass or worse. I don't understand how families would leave info about themselves and children on a website that anyone could join. There are also naive care givers who could be giving info or leads to their personal info (facebook) that mention their whereabouts and friends.Not to mention background checks.
    I will not say that care.com is a bad thing though it is not exactly a community paper, it is a world wide paper but it focuses on a direct audience of people who need domestic help or who work in the field. Remember that it is just an online newspaper ad and newspapers do not advise to list your personal info.
    Do not put the whole field down there are other leads such as newspapers, school & neighborhood billboards and reputable nanny agencies that are very personal and thorough. Still guard your info and always know who you are allowing your info to go to.There is always age discrimination so remember that it is unlawful for employers to ask your age.

21st of Nov, 2014

I have been a care.com member for many years as a parent and as a caregiver. There are only 3 reason a parent or a caregiver will be shut down.
    No 1 - The parent is angry beacuse the sitter didi not show up for a scheduled interview or babysitting job they send a less than nice text via care..They are shut down. Etiquette is very important on care.com. The same for a sitter... The parents will hire her then compleatly ignore her texts because they have found someone else or changed thier mind. Or change the agreement of times and pay. The sitter is very angry and send a angry email.

No 2 - no one is allowed to ask for a private email address. The text system will flag ypour page and let it go the first time maybe the second if you continue asking for email addresses you will be shut down without warning or explanation.

No 3- No one is allowed to post as a sitter or a parent and try to advertises for a side business. You can not say "And by the way I also cut hiar out of my house" You will be shut down.

1st of May, 2015

i applied for a job for pet sitting several months ago, i lost my job a year ago. i am being scammed harassed by phone texts and emails and you need to check the people who are advertising for a pet sitter ect and take these sick people i am so annoyed and the have my info all of it

13th of May, 2015

I have done my own investigation on this company Care.com. it is a fraudulent misrepresented company that should be shut down by the federal trade commission for defrauding both parents and babysitters and putting babies and kids lives in danger daily. Background checks are provided by a cut rate outside .com company that clearly states they are not liable for any accuracy or completeness since no real live id is ever seen by anyone and any stolen or borrowed DL# can bu used to pass. The BBB is covering for all the fraud that is going on by awarding Care.com an A rating for a $500 a yr membership fee, that allows Care.om to hand pick reviews and the rating. 2 american families have come home to dead babies and this is what they read when they opened their email to plan the funeral. "We at care.com reserve the right to terminate any membership for any reason or no reason at anytime with no refund or explanation. This is the auto generated response Care.com sends out to anyone that dare to report any issues. The phone call is recorded and the account is terminated for legal reason with no explanation. Care.com will terminate for as little as a petty argument over a spot on the carpet to a baby dies. They treat it all with the same with the upmost disrespect with no apology. Imagine opening your email while planning a funeral for a dead baby and reading that. Unethical and disgusting are the words for that.