Care Credit / Scam, dishonest practices

1 P.O. Box 960061Orlando, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-893-7864

I mailed my payment on June 7th with the payment not due until the 27th. They started calling me on the 20th asking where my payment was and asking me to make the payment over the phone (seems to be a regular practice). I told them it wasn't even due until the 27th, I had already mailed the payment (gave check #, amount, and date mailed), and I would not give my checking account info over the phone. I was getting at least one phone call a day, sometimes 3 or 4 a day, each time having the same conversation. On the 26th a lady called telling me that they still hadn't received my payment and it obviously wouldn't get there in time and if I didn't make a payment over the phone I would get a late fee charge. I told her I would not do that. I made the payment online at about 9 a.m. on the 27th (due date). She calls back around noon telling me I need to make the payment over the phone. I told her I made it online and she argued with me telling me she didn't show a payment had been made. I checked my email while on the phone with her and I had received a confirmation email and started reading her the confirmation #. She wouldn't even let me finish. She was trying to cut me off but I kept talking reading her the #. She just said thank you and hung up. On the 29th they credited the account with the amount of the check I had sent. This has happened before. They hold the check, call you and tell you that you have to make a payment because your check is not there and you will get charged a late fee, then after you make the payment they 'find' your check and deposit it. They are very insistent that payments be made on the phone. Most companies are fine with payments made online, but not Care Credit. You can't email them and when they call you they are all speaking in such thick Indian accents you can barely understand them. When I received my statement today showing what had happened I was very upset and called customer service. I asked the guy if Care Credit was trying to run a scam and he told me he was very offended personally. I told him that I didn't say him personally, I was talking about his company. He told me there was nothing he could do. The first time they held a check was at the end of the 12 month no finance charge period. All payments had been on time and they held the last check to make it late just so they could raise the finance charge from the on time charge to the higher late rate.

Comments

• Ro
      26th of Feb, 2009

I am going through the same thing right now

• Ro
      4th of Mar, 2009

I really think an attorney should get involved with this company. They are doing illegal practices and completely misrespresenting their services.

• De
      4th of Aug, 2009

I know what you mean. My interest is more than I owe on the bill. I am on a fixed income and well got to have a roof over my head. Sorry my cat up and got sick then died. Come on over $800 due now, $300 or more in intrest. Ha! Good luck, I'll pay what I can when I can. Its not my fault I am where I am financially, I worked all my life and this is what happens when you can no longer support yourself cuz somebody is too obsessed over the all mighty dollar that even physically assaulting someone over money seems to be the right thing to do.

• La
      12th of Dec, 2009

I am furious with Care Credit. I have never had a credit card that got mad when you overpaid. First payment was $25 and we paid $200 so I didn't pay the next month. Any credit card I have had just credits you. Well it turns out no matter how much you overpay you are still expected to pay the monthly minimum. I argued and was refunded. Now in Oct. I made a payment on the 6th and the date due was Oct. 27. I made another payment Oct. 30 for my Nov. 27 payment and I have received more than four calls a day informing me I am late. Even though I am not late they don't seem to be accepting that payment for Nov. They are just counting it as an extra payment and now they expect me to pay a late fee.
    I am furious with this company and would like to know if I complain to the Better Business Bureau.

• Iz
      12th of Dec, 2009

Why don't you pay online? I made all my payments to them online. I had no issues.

• 19
      11th of Aug, 2010

We have had Care Credit for a year now. I have never had to pay any interest since I have always paid off the balance before the promotional period ends. Make a purchase, make monthly payments through GEMoney Bank online, and there are no harrassments. I continue to use my card, figure out what the monthly payment for that purchase needs to be to be paid off during the promotional time, and my outgoing debt obligation is the same as if I would have paid cah for the services since I do not have to pay interest. I also get a boost in my FICO score by continuing to have a balance and make monthly payments.
    If you take care of how you use the card, and be responsible about paying it every month, esepecially online to get a confirmation number, you can have a great card to help with larger expenses, boost your credit, and help balance your outgoing finances every month.
    Care Credit is a great tool IF used wisely.