BuyOwner.com / Buyer beware!

Whatever you do, do not use BuyOwner.com, especially in South Florida. They blitz the airwaves with those ridiculous commercials, and you falsely believe that this is a legitimate company. IT IS NOT. In today's Real Estate market, which is sadly almost at it's worst, home sellers are feeling particularly vulnerable, and are easy prey for BuyOwner. They falsely claim that you will save money by signing up with them, when in reality, they will scam you out of thousands of dollars that you will never get back. It is a trick. Please don't be fooled. Ask them about their sales statistics. They won't give you any. Gee I wonder why?!

Let me break it down for you: Buy Owner essentially sells you a trumped up advertising package of redundant photos and virtual tours that no one will ever see. All of those "hits" they claim you will get, won't happen. The few people that do browse your profile are just lookyloos, and other BuyOwner desperate sellers, checking on the competetion. No serious home buyers go to BuyOwner.com, only sellers like you. Think about it, all of those ads you see on TV are aimed at you, the seller, and not the important BUYERS. You never see them saying, "Come to our website to buy your home." It is always "Sell your home with BuyOwner." By the way, those "sellers" in the their commercials are actors. It's all really a big, giant scam aimed at you, to line their pockets with your money. Yes, if your foolish enough to sign their contract, you will quickly realize that they will get all the money upfront, or else put a lean on your house. Folks, they are truly bad news. Just take my advice, and either use a legitimate Realtor, or a legitimate FSBO company who will only charge you a couple hundred bucks to list your house with plenty of pics. When BuyOwner asks you for thousands of dollars for a bogus service, you have to know something is wrong there. Run in the other direction. In fact, do not invite these people into your homes in the first place. You will regret it immediately.

Comments

• Ni
      29th of Jun, 2007

Yeah, Buy Owner is definitely a scam. I've heard from so many people how bogus it really is. You can tell, just from all the advertising they do directed at getting people to sell their homes with them (meaning : take their money) but you never see any Buy Owner advertising being done to target home buyers, which is why people would sign up with them in the first place. These people need to be shut down.

29th of Jun, 2007

If people really want to sell their homes, now is the worst time to do it. It is definitely a buyer's market out there. If you want to try to save money, you can put your home on the mls with a flat fee listing company, which costs next to nothing, compared to the thousands you'll spend with Buy Owner. These flat fee listing companies also let you post something like six pictures, for no extra charge. It's really a no brainier. But let's face it, no matter what you do, whether it's a FSBO company, flat fee listing agency, or a normal licensed Realtor, your house will probably sit for a long while. There just aren't any buyers out there right now. One thing is for sure, though: YOU'D HAVE TO BE CRAZY TO DROP THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON SOME B.S. COMPANY LIKE BUY OWNER, when other companies offer you a far superior service for a fraction of the cost.

• Ge
      17th of Sep, 2007

I have had my home for sale by this rip off company for months and they come up with the bogus number of hits. I have not had one call or interested party for my home. I also was scammed into paying the higher price package until I went to Corp. and complained it was never explained to me the different prices they have. South Florida office is a scam and should be closed down.

• Va
      6th of Aug, 2009

I Agree. Buy Owner Ripped my husband and I off. We tried to cancel the contract within the cancelation time with no success. When they recieved no payment they canceled our ad within two weeks. S & S Financial sent us letter telling us we owed $3, 000 plus dollars. We agrued they did nothing to assist us in canceling our contract and would not pay them. S & S Financial placed a Mortgage Deed on our home for $3, 698 plus fees. I recently recieved a letter from Buy Owner Class Action Settlement from the Courts in Ft. Lauderdale court administrator. The letter states we have a right to file an individual action anywhere in the state of Florida (3 day notice of cancellation language in thier contract). I am filing a class action against Buy Owner Florida. I can be reached at vlsconye@aol.com
    I can forward you the information I have if you are interested.