Blockshopper.com/Landon company / invasion of privacy/won't let us 'opt-out'

1 2704 bennett, Evanston, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 847-332-2021

I agree - I also am having the same difficulty with them...and even called the CEO's house last nite
and talked with wife .

Most sites will delete will just a request and somtimes an ID...these people might AMEND your listing
with a police report...but what does amend mean? abbreviate was how they worded it...

that is NOT good enough when people are at risk at being victimized again...and that is a LAWSUIT
waiting to happen...

I am writing to everyone I know from Homeland Security, on...to get information as to how this
website gets to get away with this.

According to Google, they have been sued (and lost)...there is a long list of bloggers trying to get off their
website...including a realtor advertiser !!!

Advertisers should consider their reputations before signing on with this outfit...as peoples' private
information is being put on the WEB without their permission.

And, by the time, I stop sending emails with this information, their website will pop up more when
googled...(just as my info is because of them)...in a negavtive light, NOT a good place to be for a business !
Let's just see how THEY like it, shall we?

This is an outfit of a handful of young men, who started this in 2006...a QUICK, EASY way to sell
internet AD DOLLARS...even it means putting peoples' lives at risk? I don't think so !

In the meantime, everyone call the CEO above and ask him to remove you...

To
Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Dd
      30th of Apr, 2010

File a complaint with the BBB (How in the world can they have an A- rating?)

The BBB that will handle your complaint is:
    BBB of E. Missouri & S. Illinois
    (Saint Louis, MO)
    15 Sunnen Drive, Ste. 107
    Saint Louis, MO 60206
    Phone: (314)645-3300
    Fax: (314)645-2666
    Email: [protected]@stlouisbbb.org
    Web: http://www.stlouis.bbb.org

All correspondence about your complaint will come from and should be addressed to this BBB.

Blockshopper's BBB review

FTC Complaint form

Consumer Affairs complaint form

Blockshopper.com info:
    1065 Executive Parkway Ste 200
    Saint Louis, MO 63141
    (314) 485-4882

Pictures and bios of the one who run Blockshopper:

CEO's home information:

2024 n. Racine #d
    Chicago, Illinois 60614

Ed Weinhaus, St. Louis

[protected]@blockshopper.com

So is there a lawsuit to join yet?

22nd of Jun, 2010

Hi all, I too would like to join in any class action lawsuit. If anything gets started please let me know.

• Ju
      25th of Jun, 2010

Just thought I will throw in my two cents. I just sent a letter to Scarlett and told her: That my husband and I are not celebrities, public officials or in the public eye in any which way or form. I told her that it is unlawful that a company can make money off of a person without reimbursement. I told her that if by a certain date my name and my husbands name is not removed I will be filing a lawsuit because I am not free and I am not cheap. Yes yes it's public records but the fact that they are making money without giving me some sort of reimbursement is unlawful and unethical. I will update...

• Cj
      14th of Jul, 2010

I am with you, and want to be part of the class action law suit. I wrote "Scarlett" yesterday and demanded my name, home address and photo of my home be removed from the site. I felt completely violated by Blockshopper and my personal security threatened 24/7. The response from them was for me to "prove it" to them by providing even more personal and confidential information such as legal documents explaining and verifying why I needed my information removed. This made me so very angry so I wrote another scathing email with my repsonse and a promise to complain to the FTC, Attorney General, local officials, my local newspaper, homeowners association, etc. Then, after a doing research on the company and the founders I find that they are Real Estate Whores with unethical bad business practices. Why can't they be stopped? If I can help, I will. [protected]@aol.com

• Sm
      19th of Jul, 2011

I am another in total agreement. I would be very interested in following up with a lawsuit about them being in violation of our "personality rights" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_rights
    This is probably the set of laws that may stop them. These ### have no conscience whatsoever. Doesn't anyone in the legal world see the dangers of the fact that with a few clicks a pedophile can look up child online and then if that child has a unique last name, see where they live and also find out where they go to school? I am furious and ready to join the fight!

• Tw
      22nd of Oct, 2010

I am also attempting to stop blockshopper.com. I am sending this message to all their advertisers:

I am requesting that you cease advertising with blockshopper.com. They are an unethical company that recklessly publishes personal information online. They publish your HOME ADDRESS and offer no way to have that information removed.

Please to not support this business. In the interest of encouraging you to stop doing business with blockshopper.com, I am emailing all of my gmail and Facebook contacts and outlining how your continuing support of this business is putting my life in danger.

I just sent this message to Avis Rent-A-Car (avis.com) and intend to send it to every business that supports this unethical company.

22nd of Dec, 2010

That's not the real problem. Blockshoppers.com claims to use public information, but every home owner in the city of coverage is not listed. I've done my research. My parents name aren't linked to blockshoppers at all but mine is. If they want to publicize information that a person would normally have to get from county records that's fine. But to be thorough and fair, they should check to see if the person they are about to post has been a victim of some kind of criminal act. I have and so have many others. Now the person who tried to murder me, only has to google my maiden name and he has access to my address and new name. I DID NOT PURCHASE MY HOME WITH MY NEW NAME. Blockshoppers should also check to see if someone is unlisted. I am. This blatant display of information can cause someone their life. I also requested my information be removed or *** out to some point. I was refused and told to show proof of the crimes against me. That is unacceptable. If the company uses public info, they should do research as well to ensure safety.

22nd of Dec, 2010

This site encourages identity theft by publishing a persons personal information without the consent of the person itself. On asking to take the info off the site, they are very rude and turn deaf ear. There have been numerous complaints against this site but still this site continues to post their articles about people's personal information.

• Tr
      22nd of Dec, 2010

My wife and I are pretty discrete people. We’re unlisted in the phone book and maintain carefully crafted presences on the Web. I don’t even use Facebook! So, I’m really annoyed by the fact that you can “google” my name and find my address, my wife’s name, and purchase price of my home on BlockShopper. There needs to be a broad opt out mechanism for BlockShopper. Their response to the question of anonymity is completely unacceptable (read it for yourself at http://www.blockshopper.com/faq.html#q4)! I should be able to automatically prevent my name from showing up on BlockShopper, especially when its tied to my home address. BlockShopper should not allow searches by name on their site. BlockShopper needs to protect how their databases are exposed to search engines. This is an invasion of our collective privacy. They have crossed the line

• Ta
      6th of Jan, 2011

• Ta
      6th of Jan, 2011

24th of Jan, 2011

Mr Tim Landon is also on the board of directors for American Public Education, Inc. This organization praises themselves as serving the military. Please feel free to contact this organization to inform them that he is putting military members who have served and interacted with local nationals in Iraq and Afghanistan at risk of being found so easily by enemies of our nation. http://www.americanpubliceducation.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=214618&p=irol-govBoard American Public Education, Inc. (NASDAQ: APEI) is a provider of online post-secondary education focused primarily on serving the military and public service communities. American Public University System (APUS), wholly owned by APEI, comprises two universities American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU). Regionally and nationally accredited, APUS serves more than 70, 000 adult learners worldwide and offers 79 degree programs in fields ranging from homeland security, military studies, intelligence, and criminal justice to technology, business administration, public health, and liberal arts.

24th of Jan, 2011

Mr Timothy J. Landon, is also on the Board of Directors for APIE. If you are an investor sell your shares and put your money where your mouth is. Oh, and feel free to contact the company who says they serve the military. Putting our service members information on this site puts them at risk if they have had even the slightest involvment with local Iraqi nationals while deployed. They can be found and put in harms way by our nations enemies.

American Public Education, Inc. (NASDAQ: APEI) is a provider of online post-secondary education focused on serving the military. American Public University System (APUS), wholly owned by APEI, comprises two universities American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU).

24th of Jan, 2011

Mr Timothy J. Landon, is also on the Board of Directors of Once of Prevention. Please contact his fellow Board Memebers to inform them of his actions.

• Bl
      2nd of Jun, 2011

I am complaining about Blockshopper in Chicago and St. Louis and the following individuals Brian Timpone, Chicago Ed Weinhaus, St. Louis Timothy Landon, Evanston, Scarlett Simpson, I think that we should use their database to mine all those people who represent a potential client list for a class action lawsuit against blockshopper. I say we call ourselves blockstopper and let the fight begin...

• Rr
      12th of Apr, 2013

Any update here? Let's keep the conversation going. Are there any attorneys working on this? We need to shut this website down, or at the very least, allow people to opt out!!!

1st of May, 2016

Also a Victim of Blockshopper.com will chip in or join any class action

• Ro