Bergdorf Goodman / Inability to process online order

1 Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Review updated:

On March 31 2009 I ordered 2 x $100 gift vouchers from the Bergdorf Goodman website to be emailed to a friend who lives in New York. They accepted my order and sent me a confirmation email. At no time did they indicate that they would have a problem processing my order because I live outside the USA.

On April 1 they sent me an email telling me they'd had a problem processing my order and asking me to call them. I was reluctant to call because I live in Australia so the call would not be toll-free for me but after a few email exchanges I had no choice but to call. What followed was THREE WEEKS of emails - 48 from them, 27 from me - three phone calls - two made by me, one from them at MIDNIGHT because apparently they can't work out the time difference between Texas and Sydney - during which time I supplied pages of phone and fax numbers for my credit card company so Bergdorf Goodman could contact it and verify my billing address. But they continued to email me, asking me for the same information over and over again. I was essentially doing their job for them - how hard is it to look up a credit card company phone number? I found it myself in three seconds on the internet - but still they couldn't process a simple transaction.

Finally, on April 23, they said they had cancelled my transaction because they couldn't verify my address. I was so angry, I immediately wrote a letter to the vice president of customer care. I posted it on April 24. Today is May 5 2009 and I have yet to receive a response of any kind and my friends have not received their wedding gift.

Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed with Bergdorf Goodman. Apart from offering a service it clearly cannot deliver, it seems extremely badly organised and the left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing. There seems to be no communication between the "customer care" (what a joke!) staff and when I spoke to them, it was like speaking to a Stepford Wife! They would just keep saying, "We sincerely apologise ma'am, " over and over again, but they were clearly not sincere because they wouldn't actually do anything to help solve the problem. They would assure me over and over again that it would be dealt with and then the next day there'd be another email from someone else asking for exactly the same information I'd given them the previous day.

So please think twice before ordering anything online from Bergdorf Goodman, especially if you live outside America. I have ordered plenty of merchandise from places like Amazon with no drama at all, so Bergdorf's either needs to sort out its processing issues or stop offering this service until it can actually deliver.

Comments

• Wi
      22nd of Jan, 2014

Yes, Bergdorf Goodman allow you to add an item to the cart to purchase, but when you go to checkout, they say they DON'T ship to Australia. Their website is also owned by Neiman Marcus, but the Bergdorf website is LOTS cheaper, so perhaps they want you to buy from Neiman Marcus and pay HEAPS MORE for the same item!!! Why don't they say online that they DON'T ship to Australia instead of wasting your time letting you add items to your cart, then NOT letting you complete the purchase!!!

• Wi
      22nd of Jan, 2014

The following is a Copy taken from the Bergdprf Goodman website...you have to search THOROUGHLY to get to their shipping information section to find this...see as follows...Last Updated December 24, 2013.

International Deliveries
    At this time, we are only able to allow online orders for Canadian addresses. It is not possible to specify any other international destination or U.S. territory when placing an order online. However, you may have your BergdorfGoodman.com purchase shipped to an international address by calling 1 972 556 6080. Duties and taxes will be the responsibility of the recipient.