BBG Communications / Charge ridiculous money on a local call

United States Review updated:
I made a phone call to Durham (919 682 3XX0) at Los Angles airport on Aug 21st 2008 when I do transfer to Durham. I used my credit card to pay the cost of phone call on a pay phone located near McDonald, close to Boarding Gate 54.

I dialed the number first, and I was told that this call will cost USD$1 / per 4 minutes (machine synthesized language). Then I heard some dialing sound that seems connecting the call. However, instead of connecting to destination, I was connected to a customer service line. A man asked me whether I need call 919 682 3XX0, I answered yes. Then the call was connected.

Today (Aug 28, 2008), I found that my credit card was charged for $34.03 through a company called "BBG Communications London GB". I searched Google and found many people are complaining about ripping off by this company. So I made a phone call to [protected] (found here: /URL removed/). A customer representative said they do billing for BBG Communications. They asked my credit card, and said they can refund AUD$ 13.61 to my card. I asked them to refund this amount to my card. But I am still feel they charged too much and didn't disclose enough information when I initial used their service.

Following are some information I got over the conversation:

Duration: 9:00 minutes (I definitely not make phone call that long, only 4-5 minutes)

Pay phone Area code: 310

AUD$34.03 Connection Fee and Permanent Rate

Connection Fee: AUD$10 (Never disclose this information before hand. After I dial [protected], it remind me cost USD$1 for 4 minutes)

Permanent Rate: AUD$2.67 / per minute (Never disclose this information).

They agreed to credit back: AUD$13.61 within 30-60 days.
Va

Comments

Li
  10th of Nov, 2008
This happened to me too. I called the 800 number listed on the item line of each charge on my credit card, and I think they said they were Satellite Internet. He said that all UK phone calls were via satellite (is he lying?) and that there is a $10 connection fee and it was 1.25/minute. He then gave me a one-time reimbursement of 40% of my $220 combined charges to help out with the cost. This whole ordeal was absurd. Never going back to London again. My New Zealand calls came out to 68 cents and $1.24 to use their local access numbers, which is way more realistic.
Jo