Banfield The Pet Hospital / poor service!

We bought a puppy at the end of January, Roman. From the onset, he had respiratory problems and we took him to Banfield. They sold us on their Health Care Plan the first day we took Roman in to be checked under the premise that we had saved money the FIRST day and more than paid for the plan for the year. Also, we were told that we would receive discounts on meds and other services for the coming year if we signed up for the plan so we did. Our puppy died within the month in his sleep! We did not try to come back on Banfield for any negligence. They called to confirm his next appointment the following week and we told them he had died. About a month after, we got a bill in the mail for the balance of the health care plan. I called and talked to the office manager and she acted as if they did not know Roman had died and said the girl I spoke to did not convey the information. So, I relayed the entire story to her. She said she would take care of it. Now, I have a call today from a collection agency asking for over 200.00 to settle this issue. We have already paid Banfield a large amount of money for Roman's health care and were told that if he died the plan could be canceled. They have been completely uncooperative and mis-leading. Our dog passed (possibly due to questionable vet care) and we did not pursue it at all. Now they are trying to pursue us for a policy that was sold to us under wrong pretense and we did cancel the policy yet they are still trying to pursue us. The collection agency today told me that I had not canceled this and it auto-renewed for another year. This is ridiculous. Our dog passed in the first month, they did not cancel this, acted like they did not receive the phone call from me, repeatedly.

Beware people!

Comments

• Pa
      26th of May, 2011

In fact, they specifically told me when I called after our dog died that we cannot cancel the wellness plan. They are making us pay for an additional three months because (as best I could decipher what the snotty rep was saying) the so-called "discount" on the care he got before he died somehow counts against us and extends our liability. Then they told us it's an annual lump sum pre-payment for services (NOT an ongoing "plan") that is just spread out on a monthly plan for our convenience. The two explanations don't gibe and neither seems fair to a pet owner who no longer has any need for vet services, discounted or otherwise. I'm sure it's in the fine print somewhere but when the store clerks sign you up they sure don't tell you you'll be financing a dead pet's non-care on the installment plan. I'm afraid that even if you got the name of the person who said they could cancel it, the company would deny your request anyway. I now find out that this is a frequent complaint about these "wellness plans" and has made it into David Lazarus's consumer column. Good luck getting any satisfaction. Let us know if you hear of any class action cases we can join. Meanwhile I'll be watching my bank account like a hawk to see if they really cancel it three months from now as promised.

• Do
      7th of Jun, 2011
    Banfield Pet Hospital - Poor service
    Banfield Pet Hospital

I paid for everything for a dog that I was giving to my boyfriends niece (over $300 paid in full for "ALL" shots, except the distemperment) as a gift and I had her put on the account on my account, because Banfield does not transfer accounts as I was told by Jessica (corporate office) in their accounts department and by Amika (Newport News, VA store). I replied, "If I opened an account and paid all this money, then my boyfriends niece would have to start account and pay again". I felt this is a rip off and this is how Banfield makes their money, which is not right. When my boyfriends niece took the the dog to get information on the dogs shots in order to pay her pet fee at her apartment, she was told my Amy and the Veterinarian (Newport News, VA) that she could not get any information. I could not figure out why, when "EVERTHING" was paid and up to date. This caused her to take the dog to another veterinarian to get shots, the dog already had at the cost of $150. I then went back to the store where I started the account and they told me to call their corporate office to let them know. When I called the corporate office, Jessica stated "I do not know why they told you to call the corporate office". I thought when you have a problem that is who you are supposed to call to get better information. I still have not found out why she was refused information from either of the these people and I am now waiting for the Manager Heather (Newport News, VA store) to call me back.

• Ba
      10th of Jun, 2011

Dorcella,
    I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced with this plan. I hope you have since been able to resolve this issue, but please don't hesitate to reach out to our Wellness Plan Relations team to address the situation if you are still having trouble. The number is 866-649-2716. Thank you for your feedback and, again, sorry for the inconvenience.

• Kh
      11th of Jun, 2011

Go to a "real" vet, stay away from Petco/Petsmarts side services (ie: vets, grooming, training, boarding), useless!!