Banfield Pet Hospital / wellness plan

Banfield Pet Hospital
I have a wellness plan with Banfield for both of my dogs and always believed that it was like insurance, not a contract for payments. I was wrong.
Last year my son died. As a result of this tragedy I incurred several thousand dollars in medical bills before his death, in addition to funeral related expenses after wards and could no longer afford the monthly wellness plan payments. My only income is disability. Due to the extreme extenuating circumstances I tried to cancel the wellness plan, but they have refused to allow me to do so. They 'forgave' a few months payments, but have insisted on me paying the balance of the contract at the previous monthly rate. As I can no longer afford that, I volunteered to pay $20 a month until the balance is paid in full. They have rejected this too and have declined to accept my checks for the lesser payment. I wish I had been aware of all of these complaints before I signed up for their plan. They are ruthless. While they have declined to accept $20 a month, they call me repeatedly with threats to ruin my credit, threats of turning the account over to a collections agency, rude responses on the phone, and have refused to acknowledge or respond to a single letter (or checks) mailed to their home office.
There are other options for pet care available. I urge anyone reading this to use them and to stay clear of Banfield!

N  22nd of Feb, 2010 by
I am sorry for your story. It sounds as if you are being treated badly in such a sensitive time. Im sorry that the wellness plan experience was so bad for you. Its not meant to be such a catastrophe. The idea behind it is that you get a prepaid package of services your pet needs at a discounted rate. If it were insurance that covered everything, it wouldnt list what is included or have four different levels. Im sorry, but that is a common misunderstanding. You should be allowed to cancel at any time however and I am not sure why they wont allow you to do so. Normally the process is that they take the services that you use over the year off your wellness plan, they add up the cost and if what you have utilized is more than what the your 12 monthly payments would be they will not cancel it early because it will be more expensive. On a wellness plan you are getting everything at a discounted rate, to cancel early, they take into account everthing at full price. So you are basically getting a preventive care package and the cost of everything is split over those 12months. So you can use all the services up front the first day, but you cant cancel the next month. You have to pay for the services that were used, and they draw the cost out over a period of time. If you did not utilize the services, and what you have used is less than what the plan would cost you over 12months, they should cancel it early for you. Normally you can cancel it early anyways, but if you have used most of the services, since you are getting about half off, it usually would cost you an extra $300-600 to do so. Which makes just riding out your contract more cost effective. If you for instance use your dental cleaning and then want to cancel 2months into your contract: it costs you 2 months x $30, however they are going to account for the $200 procedure as well as office visit fee, waste disposal fee, ect.
Im very sorry if anything got lost in communication. I am sorry for your loss, I know how hard that is. And I am very sorry that something that was supposed to make things easier is in fact causing you undue stress.

Banfield Pet Hospital Logo Banfield Pet Hospital