Bally Total Fitness / Worst gym ever

I'm on official Military Orders to ship out overseas. In the process of this my orders indicates certain schools I must attend before shipping out overseas. Bally's refuse to cancel my membership indicating that I'll be doing "training" before I deploy overseas. They stated that I will not be able to cancel until my actual deployment date. I will be attending these schools while on base and leaving the base is limited. They will not cancel my orders. The worst gym, customer service, satisfaction, and relations in the world. I do not and will never recommend Bally's. Guess what gym I wouldn't be attending if god spears life when I get back?

Va

Comments

• Ti
      14th of Apr, 2009

Were you enlisted at the time you signed the contract? If so, you knew you would probably be shipped out, so you should not have signed a contract. You were not drafted, you chose to go into the military, so you were the one who entered a contract that you had no reasonable expectation that you could fulfill. Don't blame the gym for holding you to a contract that you willingly entered into.

Or maybe it makes more sense to you this way. Suppose you were NOT in the military, but you had PREPAID for an entire year of membership. One day, you go to the gym, and you find out that is closed for 6 months, because the entire staff were enlisted and all got called overseas. The note said, "we are really sorry. We didn't think we would be called to duty. We still expect you to honor your part of the contract, so we are keeping your money." Would that be okay with you?

By the way, I agree that Bally's is crap, but not because they expect you to honor your legal obligation.