Bally Total Fitness / Terrible experience

United States Review updated:

I got suckered into a 3 year (!!) contract with Bally's which the only way i can get out of is to either pay the rest of the contract up front or move 50 miles away from the nearest location. I think this is poor customer service to not let people know up front what kind of financial commitment they are making especially with the limited hours and locations. I regret ever leaving 24hr fitness. I also got a few free sessions with a personal trainer who didn't show up most of the time and then had to wait around for 30-40 minutes for them to find someone who could take me.
Va

Comments

Va
  31st of Oct, 2008
I purchased a ballys membership in the fall of 2005, i was told that i wasn't able to purchase a membership unless i signed a 3 yr contract. I had to put 50 down and then i paid 35/month. I used the membership for about 1 yr. but the gym got to crowded and a lot of the equipment was often broken. Including the steamroom and sauna.

I called ballys directly and was told since i signed the contract i was legally binded to it and i couldn't cancel. The person i talked to was rude and he told me if i didn't pay then i would be sent to collections and you wouldn't want that would you? So i paid my membership for the 3 years and went to other local ballys but i was completely unsatisfied with ballys and there services. 1200 dollars down the drain.
Cl
  31st of Jan, 2009
I AM A MEMBER OF BALLY TOTAL FITNESS AND HAVE BEEN SINCE 2003 AND I AM CONCERNES WITH THEIR PRACTICES AND THE WAY THEY HAVE BEEN DOING BUSINESS LATELY...ON 01-30-2009 AT AROUND 1730HRS. I BEGAN MY WORKOUT IN THE AEROBICS ROOM AT THE KING OF PRUSSIA, PA. FACILITY. I CHECKED THE SCHEDULE TO MAKE SURE THAT THERE WAS NO CLASSES AT THAT TIME BEFORE I STARTED MY WORKOUT AND THERE WAS NOT...I BEGAN SKIPPING ROPE AND I WAS THERE FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTESAND HAD A FEW MINUTES LEFT TO GO. WHEN THIS EMPLOYEE ( CLASS INSTRUCTOR) CAME IN AND SAID IN A NASTY MANNER THAT A CLASS WAS ABOUT TO BEGIN AND THAT MY JUMPING ROPE WAS INTERFERING WITH THE CLASS.. I TOLD HER THAT I CJECKED THE SCHEDULE AND THERE IS NO CLASS SCHEDULED TODAY... SHE SAID THAT IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ON THE SCHEDULE...AND IF I DO NOT LEAVE SHE WOULD CALL SOMEONE AND HAVE ME DRAGGED OUT OF THE ROOM AND ESCORTED OUT OF THE BUILDING...I TOLD HER THAT I STILL HAVE A FEW MINUTES OF SKIPPING ROPE AND I PLAN TO FINISH IT...SHE SAID THAT THAT "YOU WILL NOT" AND MARCHED OUT OF THE ROOM TO GET SOMEONE. MEANWHILE I FINISHED UP MY SKIPPING ROPE ROUTINE AND STARTED ON THE UNIVERSAL MACHINES OUTSIDE OF THAT AREA. THATS WHEN I WAS APPROACHED BY THE MANAGER (BOB).AND I DON'T KNOW IF HE WAS GIVING ME THE BUSINESS OR NOT BUT HE SAID THAT CLASSES DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ON THE SCHEDULE..AND EVERYONE HAS TO ABIDE BY THAT..HE WAS APOLOGETIC ABOUT HER ATTITUDE. BUT AS A MEMBER THERE I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO STOP MY WORKOUT TO GIIVE WAY TO CLASSES THAT ARE NOT POSTED...ON THAT DAY BEFORE WHEN I CAME TO THE GYM..THERE WAS CLASSES THERE THAT WERE POSTED AND I DID NOT SKIP ROPE THAT DAY. DUE TO THE SCHEDULED CLASSES. I AM APALLED AT THE FACT THAT I AM INCONVENIENCED IF I HAVE TO WORK AROUND THERE SCHEDULE AND BE INCONVENIENCED I COULD WORKOUT AT HOME...AND SAVE MY MEMBERSHIP MONEY. THERE HAS BEEN OTHER INCIDENCES THAT HAPPENED THERE BUT THIS WAS THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMELS BACK.
1.MOST OF THE PERSONAL TRAINERS WALK AROUND LIKE THEY HAVE CHIP ON THEIR SHOULDER AND ARE VERY ANTI-SOCIABLE. I FORGOT MY JUMP ROPE ONE TIME AND A FEMALE TRAINER WAS SITTING AT THE DESK WHERE THE ROPE WAS AND I ASKED HER FOR IT AND SHE TOLD ME IT WAS FOR THE PERSONAL TRAINERS AND THERE CUSTOMERS..OF WHICH THERE WAS NEVER A PROBLEM WITH ME USING IT BEFORE.
2.THERE WAS A TIME WHEN I WAS WORKING ON A MACHINE AND A PERSONAL TRAINER THAT NEVER SAYS ANYTHING TO ME MOVES INTO MY WAY WHILE I AM WORKING OUT AND ALMOST CAUSED A SERIOUS ACCIDENT. AND MADE UP SOME SOME CRAZY EXCUSE TO JUSTIFY HIS ACTIONS
3. THERE IS NEVER A LIFEGAURD IN THE SWIMMING POOL AREA AND IT SEEMS THAT BALLY TOTAL FITNESS HAS SOME KIND OF CONTRACT WITH THE HOTEL BESIDE IT AND FAMILYS FROM THE HOTEL AND THERE KIDS COME INTO THET POOL AREA UNSUPERVISED BY THEIR PARENTS AND DISREGARD ALL OF THE RULES. AND IT IS VERY UNFAIR TO THE MEMBERS. MY WIFE HAD TO CORRET THEM ON MANY OCASSION. AND IT IS NOT FAIR THAT SHE HAS TO DO THAT...AGAIN THERE SHOULD BE A LIFE GAURD THERE
4. THEIR HAS BEEN TIMES WHEN STAFF WAS VERY DISREPECTFUL TO ME. ONE PARTICULAR INCIDENT WAS ON MARTIN LUTHER KING'S BIRTHDAY I ASKED A STAFF MEMBER WHAT TIME THEY CLOSED. AND A GIRL AT THE FRONT DESK ASKED "HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A MEMBER HERE INSTEAD OF ANSWERING MY QUESTION...

THERE HAS BEEN ALOT OF OTHER INCIDENTS THAT HAPPENED THERE TO THE POINT WHERE I AM SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT GOING TO THE HUMAN RELATIONS COMMISSION ABOUT THIS AND FILE A LAW SUIT AGAINST BALLY'S AND THEN FIND ANOTHER GYM TO GO TO THAT IS MORE ACCOMODATING TO MY NEEDS...AFTER ALL AS A MEMBER MY WORKOUT IS FIRST PRIORITY...AND IT SHOULD NOT BE INTERUPTED FOR AN UNSCHEDULED CLASS