Ashley Furniture - Mount Holly / Eastampton, NJ / defective piece of furniture

United States Review updated:
Just wanted to share, we have had horrible customer service with the Ashley Furniture store on Woodlane Rd. in Mount Holly/ Eastampton NJ.

We bought a wine cabinet in Jan. and we were able to pick it up the last week of Jan. 2007 and on Mother's Day (just 4 short months later) the insides collapsed-- thank God my son wasn't hurt because there were shattered wine glasses and glass went every where. It could have been worse it the wine bottles had broken! My son was sitting in my lap in the living room when it happened-- it really scared both of us a lot. When we called Ashley Furniture, they never once apologized or asked if my son was injured.

We finally got the piece back today (6/9/2007) after threatening to go to the Better Business Bureau-- so that's what it takes to get someone to fix a defective piece of furniture that almost injured my 2 year old son?! If you have no interest in honoring your warrenty, then don't offer one.

I'm so sick of what it took to get our furniture back: the phone calls, the "we can’t find any record of that purchase", the "well, that department just went home," the "well, we're very busy today and can't help you," and the "just leave your phone number and someone will call you back." (Big surprise, no one EVER called us back— and then to add insult to injury, the store manager, Sam, told us today that he had already checked with the warehouse and knew it was fixed and they “should have called.” My point exactly.

My husband and I just went to get it and they claim they fixed it-- but the way they did it changes the appearance of the front of the cabinet. Plus there's now a big dent in the side/back and the decorative nails are coming out.

What if it had been a larger piece of furniture? (And this was just a wine cabinet! Imagine something bigger! And something we couldn't move back and forth in our station wagon!)

Eileen Cramer

A  12th of Jul, 2007 by
I too, have had the same response from them in trying to get a replacement glass top for a coffee table... the many phone calls, the many excuses: "you are not in the system," "the manager is out," "the service rep is out," "someone will call you back"... NOT! I was finally able to speak to the customer relations manager today (7/12/2007), Maryann, who DID call me back and was very kind and helpful. We were able to ascertain that the glass top is not orderable as a replacement part. Each and every other part of the table can be ordered for replacement with the exception of the glass.

The reason I am writing this is that the parts/service rep, Heather, insisted to me that she ordered the part for me on 6/1/07... and even Maryann agreed with me... how could she have ordered a part that is NOT available for replacement???

Personally, folks, I would recommend that you stay away from purchasing Ashley products due to the fact that the main Ashley Furniture in Arcadia, WI does not deal directly with consumers and all your dealings will be with the various independent dealers which have proved to be a very frustrating process which accomplished nothing in the end anyway.

And, by the way, it took six months to find out it wasn't available for replacement and it's very coincidental that I, too, began to mention contacting the Better Business Bureau and I did receive a call back... maybe you might want to mention it at the beginning of your transaction with them ;-)

Atleast, for what it was worth, Eileen got her cabinet back. I, on the other hand, will have to throw my table away since there is not much use for a coffee table without a top...

Good luck!