Amika / Fraud and lies

Before christmas time I was at the mall with my mom and sister. A girl selling Amika hair straighteners approached me, and had me sit down to test her product. She went on this long speech about how Amika is such a great company, and you can return your straightener for absolutely ANY reason, 'even just to switch colors!' she told us it had a lifetime unconditional warranty.

Now I already OWN 3 different straighteners, none of which are that bad.. but I bought it anyway, only because of the great warranty offered. She Stapled over the part of the receipt where it said no refunds. And threw the warranty information in the very bottom of the box behind anything, basically so I wouldn't read it until i was already home.

Anyway, I had the straightener about a month, it was hot and i set it down on the counter and one of the ceramic plates broke. its a big piece of crap and not worth the money. DO NOT fall for the rep's lies. I read another report from Florida on this company, and the person did the same thing to them. Does amika train their rep's to LIE LIE LIE?

Je

Comments

• Ni
      3rd of May, 2009

SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME!!
    EXCEPT IT WAS WITH THIS COMPANY CALLED HERSTYLER.
    THEY ARE RUN BY THE SAME PEOPLE,
    SAME COMPANY, SAME PRODUCTS, AND ALL THEY
    DO IS SCAM! MY STRAIGHTENER'S PLATES BROKE BECAUSE
    IT FELL THREE FEET OFF THE GROUND ONTO A CARPET!
    SCAMMERS!

• Ti
      11th of Aug, 2009

OMG that happened to me and my friends. but it was herstyler. they have about 10 at least diffrent names because when they r kicked out or people are coming back and complaining they shut down the stand for a week and srape the name off and put a new one. well i got one for christmas and the plates broke as i was using it! so we brought it back and after fighting and fighting they gave us a new one. so we had it for like a few months then we set it down on the night stand and it fell two feet from the ground and broke. now we call and complain and the people give us attitude. when i went to the mall to yell at them i chickened because it was people from the phone that had been mean and scary. but then as we walked by they looked into the bag and saw we had the hersyler and they asked us all these questions and reconized y voice but i denided it. it was scary. they are all scamers!!! go to like walmart or some other resonbile store. i hear he chi is good my friends have it! and it works great.

• Al
      22nd of Jan, 2010

THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME TOO!!
    I JUST GOT THE AMIKA TODAY AND THE GUY THERE SAID THAT ORIGINAL PRICE WAS 200 BUCKS AND THAT HE CAN GIVE ME AN EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT CUZ THE ###IN MANAGER ISNT THERE
    HE SAID IT WOULD BE 119
    IM GOING TO GO BACK TOMORROW TO GET MY MONEY BACK NO MATTER WHAT
    EVEN THOUGH THE RECEIPT SAID NO REFUND LIKE WTF

• Gm
      5th of Mar, 2010

I have to tell you yesterday my dauther called me and she was at the mall with some friends and there father well, she and her'
    friends went through the guy fixing their hair with the curling iron and then she called me at work and wanted the iron so so so '
    bad she said it was $209.00 and he would bring it down to 1$109.00 then when i still said NO she called me and he would bring
    it down to $80.00 well, I still said NO nothing else. And, the guy will sell it to us for $50.00 well from 209.00 to 50.00 does that mean its only worth $50.00 or maybe nothing.
    well, we got it and i have printed some of these great coments and can't wait to show her and we will see how lone the iron last.
    And if it does break you have to pay $22.00 to shiping to get if fixed. Bull 5$%^^&*(&^$
    gail

• Ha
      29th of Mar, 2010

ME TOO! I ALSO WEN TO THE MALL WITH MY MOMA ND MY SISTER BEFORE CHRISTMAS, MY SSTRIGHTENER JUST FELL 2 FEET ON CARPET AND THE PLATE BROKE !!! IM SO MAD ! AND THE GUY ALSO TOLD ME IT WAS ORIGINALLY 200$ AND WE WALKED AWAYAND HE SAID HED GIVE US FREE HAIR OIL AND 2 STRIGHTENERS FOR 165$! I'M SO MAD.I ONLY GOT TO USE IT FOR 4 MONTHS!!!

24th of Jun, 2010

ALL THOSE PEOPLE ARE FRAUDS, SAME STORY HERE WITH ME, BUT THATS FINE... THEY LOSE MORE IN THE LONG RUN, PEOPLE DO NOT BUY FROM BOOTHS LIKE THAT, PLEASE!!! THEY ARE FAKES AND THOSE STRAIGHTNERS ARE NOT WORTH A PENNY

• 16
      25th of Jul, 2010

My boyfriend bought me the amika straighner for christmas in 09. so it has not even been a whole year. well the ladies there charged him 108 dollars with a lifetime warranty (which they said if ANYTHING happens to it bring it back). Well i moved to texas 3 weeks ago and he stayed in newyork. i was un packing, and the straighner was still in the box and in the cushions and it fell like 3 feet from the ground and the plate broke! i was sooo mad.. so finally last week I called the number on my reciept and a woman picked up and i told her my situation on what happen. she said i could go back to the same mall and exchange it, just bring it in the box and the receipt! (i had a slight attitude)Now i have to mail it to NY and he has to go back and exchange it. Now im hoping i have no problems actually exchanging it. CONSIDERING ive read so many reviews on what other ppl have been through with warranty. POINT IS it broke! it worked great but broke. And if they dont exchange it then its a piece of crap.

Receipt said EXCHANGE ONLY NO REFUNDS

• Tr
      25th of Jul, 2010

Chi is the best straightener but buyer beware there are some knock offs from China selling for $55. They usually sell for around $99. The fake was bought at chi.com, not a good idea, it doesn't work! Trust your hairdresser, they should steer you right.

• Ve
      30th of Dec, 2010

Right before Christmas my sister and I were shopping at the mall. This lady from amika pulled us over and wanted to show us her product! This hair straightner seemed amazing. She made it seem so great! Well until about a week of using it! It has destroyed my hair! I am so upset! A whole lot of money spent for nothing!!! The really crappy thing is that is the front of my hair that is destroyed. It is fried!!! My hair smells like burnt hair all of the time no matter what I put in it!! The sad thing is the sales lady never told me that there was no refunds! She told me I could bring it back anytime for any reason!!!

• Li
      2nd of Jan, 2011

Same happened to me; I was at the Vancouver PNE and I was desperate for a new straightener at the time, anyways i went into one of the markets where there was a huge booth full of professional hair stylists and it was designed like a hair studio, but for Amika, anyways a persistent lady had my mom and I fully convinced that even the slightest problem, and i can bring it back, no worries! Yeah, right.. Anyways 2 months into having the straightener it seemed to wear out, i used it almost everyday, but not for long, and always unplugged it. Recently i tripped over the cord and it fell on the ground, it was carpet and not a hard spill but the plate SHATTERED. I've been devastated because im only fricken 14 and can't afford another 140$ for a new one. I also realized that you cannot get a new one, the warranty doesn't cover EVERYTHING like the lady said. Cheaters.

17th of Jan, 2011

Company is under numerous names. The product name is Amika. Receipt reads Corriollis Hair. They work from a booth.
    They are located in the Smithhaven mall Long Island NY. They sell straightening irons, curling irons and blow dryers. Do not buy anything from them..They are full of [censor] and so are their products! They don't last very long and then they won't refund you your $ at all. Now we have to take them to court. [censor]ing bunch of immigrants. Go back where u came from.

• Tr
      26th of Apr, 2011

I went to layton mall in Utah and they said I could have a lifetime warranty on the Amika straightner if i had bought it so i did. Then after it stop heating up and not turning on i put it in the box and went to mall and tryed to exchanged it, and it was a different company then they have told me that they have lied to me about the life time warranty that they were just trying to sell there product and pretty much lie to sell there stuff.And now I'm stuck with it and had to buy a new straightner:(

• Lo
      12th of May, 2011

my question is... after the plate broke were you able to exchange it? I have the reciept and the warranty information and am willing to send it in IF they send me a new one. I haven't had any problems with mine and I bought it 02/2010 but the plate broke a couple of months ago and is now pulling our hair and breaking it off when it gets caught in the broken plate.

Has anyone been able to exchange it using the warranty? I haven't seen where it has any specific things that arn't covered?

• De
      12th of May, 2011

Wow! Both of my plates came off! It was a waist of my money! This company is a piece of ###.

• Si
      10th of Jun, 2011

My daughter and I went to Baybrook Mall in League City Texas and we bought the full meal deal of the mini straightener, the curler and the straightening iron. I was told that I have a lifetime warranty and if any thing breaks to call and ship and I would get a new product. All a bunch of B###t. The plates broke along the edges so I gathered it up and went to the same Kiosk in the mall and it was a different company, but also run by Israelies supposedly Israelies. Amika and its reps just vanished, but they told me to go to Sephora to exchange it...they said that if you buy a product out in the mall it is just a trial to make it to the big department stores. Also, the man tried to sell me another iron, buy one get one free. It is a scam!!! I have found no return address or number to call! Never buy outside a legitimate store! Amika is sold in Sephora and Sephora has a legitimate return policy otherwise ignore all the rest.

1st of Sep, 2011

I bought my iron at a hair show for professionals only. Funny thing is, my receipt doesn't say Amika on it. It's one of those companies that have been mentioned previously from the posts above. My box has a warranty card in it. I'm going to call Amika direct and see what the deal is. Also, I can be a ten-a-shous ### if I feel I'm being wronged. IF they give me the run around I WILL go to the show operators and complain, file a complaint with the BBB sighting ALL of the above complaints, I will contact the Consumer Affairs division in my state (CA), the state which the show was held (NV), the state where the company has it's address (NY, I think), and last but not least I will contact the Attorney General regarding fraud of this company. If you all are really serious abou this, I suggest you do the same to get your money back and get crap companies out of the market. I will have to see what happens, hopefully it is taken care of and I won't have to go balls-to-the-wall against them, but it looks like from what I read above... :( BTW two things. 1. I saw Amika beinig sold on either QVC or HSN & 2. the people at the show were from Brazil (or so they said, but when I started to talk to them in Spanish, which is similar to Portugese, they didn't know what I was saying and just nodded their heads)... WTF? Why can't they get good ol' USA citizens to sell the product? Is it because most of us wouldn't rip off our fellow citizens??? Something to ponder.

• Lo
      12th of Nov, 2011

Ow wow, i just bought a curling iron from amika today, i was so happy. I paid 100 euros, but i think it is a fair price if the product is good. Now after reading all your comments i feel so depressed. I wanted to check the website for more info on their products, and ended up here aswell. The seller told me it was an Italian product, i only buy italian or japanese hairstylers, but i can not find that back anywhere on the site or in the box. Does anyone know where this product comes from?
    Also i can not find the colour on this item on their site, could it be a fake? I bought a "true tattoo" curling wand, red ed harvy style.
    I bought mine from a stand on the Schiphol airport in amsterdam. The company is called shaitzikcosmetics, and they gave me a free Herstyler brand spray.
    I don't care for a free hairspray, but after i see the name of that spray being named here several times i know we are talking about the same product and company.
    Anyways, i hope i wasn't ripped off, and that i can enjoy this product anyway.

• Vi
      9th of Dec, 2011

The same thing just happened to me. I have decided to take some assertive action to ensure this does not happen again. Tomorrow I will demand a refund. I will tell the sales rep that I would stand there sharing my experience with every customer that shows interest in their products, I will post my experience and links of other complaints on Facebook, file a complaint with BBB, and to ensure no one else is treated this way; I will call KGW (TV Station) with a consumer report. Sometimes being pissed is not enough; action must be taken. I was given the gimic of a ridicules discount, and the sales person withheld the fact there were no refunds. I found this out after the transaction as it's written only on the receipt. The person worked me like a stripper on a pole, I felt equally as dirty after I got home and realized what happened.

• Ha
      22nd of Mar, 2012

Hi
    This is from a very happy customer from herstyler. I just want to share my experience that i have.
    I'm a customer of Herstyler already a few years and bought my first product in London on my vacation.
    I've been in the shoppingcentre and a nice guy asked me if I want to try a few products on my hair and I agreed.
    He showed me a herstyler straightner and later on the curler too and I was amazed. Nothing has ever worked that well on my hair.
    I used it a lot almost every day, and ond day when I used it, it fell on the floor and the plates cracked. I was pissed!! and sad at the same time.
    The next day I wrote to the company, what happend and I asked where I can exchange it since it is a international product.
    On the same day i had an email with the adress and phonenumber where to exchange it. i send it there and after 4 days i got my brand new straightner at home. and this straightner i already have about 2 years and it still works as the very first day!
    i can recommend Herstyler to everyone who wants a good straightner and good service!

• Am
      26th of Nov, 2012

I am so mad at amika and their reps/the people that work for them.
    I really wanted to buy a straightener because I got my hair blow dried every month and I thought it would be better if I got a straightner because it would cost less money rather than paying every month. So, I went to the mall with my mom as she told me that she saw a Jose Eber store (a company that sells straightners, etc) and it actually turned out to be Amika, so we asked them if there was a Jose Eber store in the mall and she was like No No, Jose Eber is going to close and shut down in this city. And we actually believed them and were like okay, do you have any straightners? My hair is really long and thick so it takes a long-long time to straighten and its hard to. My mom said the price was TOO MUCH and she's like "we're giving you discount, its half the price!!" ... My mom loves sales and stuff so she's like "really?!?" And then she was like "I don't believe you" and the lady was like "yes maam, buy it!! Its better than any straightner ever!!" And we bought it like dumb idiots. The straightner was ### and THERES NO REFUND. The straightner doesn't even straighten properly and it cost a lot of money.