American Van Lines / over charge $1147, 2182p they charged 4136p

American van lines
11/06/2008, We chose American van lines as the mover to move our house stuff from St. Charles, MO to Broken Arrow, OK.
The actual weight was 2182 pounds. But when the semi arrived, they told us 4136 pounds, if we did not pay them, they would not unload. We called American van lines immediately that night, they admitted their wrong doing, and promised to refund us the over charged $1147.
But after 4 months, March 2009, they have not refunded us. No one answering the phone... all kinds of excuses...

A  26th of Jul, 2016 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Search the net for FMCSA and file a complaint. www.protectyourmove.gov

Unfortunately you will not receive any monies, but AMERICAN VAN LINES will be fined for any violations, which may very well be over and above what you paid to them.
File a complaint with the BBB in AZ. Be prepared for more fabrications. Be diligent and be firm!
Keep spreading the word!

American Van Lines East - HORRIBLE
American Van Lines East

HORRIBLE!!! This company is a bunch of theives! And the people moving your stuff are picked up at local labor yards! They looked like they were homeless! Quote one thing, then on day of move tell you that it will be more money. Then add additional charges while your furniture is in transit and hold your stuff hostge until you pay it. Arrogant, ignorant staff! Nice as can be when they give you a quote, then horrible after that. Furniture arrived damage, boxes marked as fragile were CRUSHED and all items inside broken. And delivered 2 weeks after promised delivery date. Save yourseld a lot of headaches and pay more to book with a reputable company! AVOID THIS COMPANY!!!
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
As an experienced victim of AVL, I KNOW all of these negative comments are true because that is exactly how AVL operates.

As a potential customer, I would find it peculiar that such a so-called professional company has so many of the same issues, the same complaints, and nothing is ever rectified. Yet, there are so many meaninngless apologies from this so-called efficient company.

People, PLEASE DON'T USE THIS SCAM COMPANY...unless you want to look back in deep REGRET and say:
"I wish I had taken the WARNING from all of those negative comments."

Since AVL operates under several names, the best thing to do is move yourself as so many have regretfully said.

American Van Lines East - Breakage
American Van Lines East

Never use this company!!! Initially, they are very professional on the phone while trying to earn your business. However, once you leave a deposit of $200 you're told that the only payment they accept at pick up and delivery is cash or postal money order. If you cancel your order they charge you another $350 for doing so.
The people who came to pick up our furniture were great!!! All furniture wrapped carefully, etc. We packed our own boxes. At that point we find out that this truck won't drive our things from Florida to North Carolina, but will drop off our things in Jacksonville, FL, at which point our things will be transferred to an 18-wheel truck for the rest of the journey, which took 8 days. When our things arrived, many of the boxes were bent and crushed. The furniture sustained no damage. The movers were supposed to take back with them all the packing they used for our furniture, however, as we discovered later, they left some cardboard and bubble wrap behind which we have to take to the dump and pay for.
I place the blame on the personnel who work in the office for not being up front while trying to solicit our business. The movers themselves do the best they can, but it appears that there is a lack of training on how to handle the shipment in a more careful manner.

A  26th of Jul, 2016 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Don't stop here...keep spreading the word!
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Dear Sir or Madam,

American Van Lines sincerely apologizes for the problems that occurred during your move with us. Our team thanks you for your review and we would like to know how we can repair your experience with us.

We understand how frustrating your move was, particularly because of the issue with your condominium's time restrictions. If there is anything we can do to rectify your inconveniences, please call us at 1-855-820-6916 and we will further assist you.

American Van Lines would greatly appreciate it if you could contact us and provide us with very basic information so we can investigate your move. We currently do not have enough information to find you in our system. Thank you.

AVL Customer Relationship Manager
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Worst movers, yes. Worst customer service, yes. But it starts with the sales reps telling you anything positive and agreeable that you want to hear to rope you in. Once you are roped in, the price escalates (contrary to what you were told) and get ready to begin going through the worst living nightmare of your life and becoming another member of the American Van Lines "Complaint Club."

American Van Lines - Do Not Use
American Van Lines
Chicago, IL

Do NOT use this company. The worst movers, the worst customer service ever. The Ft. Lauderdale, FL office is filled with nasty, rude agents who do not care about your schedule and raise their prices two and three times. Be warned. They lie, they cheat you, they hold your furniture hostage and deliver it when they feel like it. The movers were eight hours late picking up my furniture. They had the wrong address even though I emailed them my address weeks in advance. They took four hours to load my furniture, denied their manager ever said he would wrap my glass objects, and held me up from getting to my new place. They told me they would deliver my stuff on Friday. Then they said no, Sunday. I told them my association does not allow Sunday deliveries. Their response? "Too bad, that's when it's coming." Indira threatened to tell the drivers to leave my furniture in my front yard. I was overcharged by $1, 600 by these rip-off artists.
N  31st of Aug, 2016 by

American Van Lines - horrible service
american van lines

I hired american van lines to move me from Miami, Fl to Phoenix, Arizona. I was quoted about 1700.00 and some change and was told (and it sounded like) they provided the best, fastest service around, plus the price was the most affordable I had been quoted. I quoted with other moving companies as well as PODS and renting a truck and moving myself. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. They arrived at my apartment and quickly wanted me to sign up for insurance (another couple of hundred) because them moving your belongings doesn't mean they will be careful and take care of your precious items, THEY DON'T GIVE A CRAP. Not only did they not tell me about that "additional" insurance, they almost took a month to deliver my items (they picked them up on the 10th of Sept and I received my belongings early last week). When my items were delivered, a lamp I had, which I bought at ARANGO in Miami, Fl and it cost me 250.00 was broken, an hour glass piece that I owned that was over 13 years old was broken.. the boxes were all mangled and they handled them very roughly. AWFUL company, AWFUL service. NEVER AGAIN. I will make sure EVERYONE I know knows about the horror's of hiring american van lines.
A  20th of Sep, 2017 by
Criminal Enterprise!
My stuff was already packed, shipped, and held in storage by another company with integrity that was unable to ship it on my behalf because they don't do national moves while I went to school. All AVL had to do was move it and unload it! They hired a 3rd party without informing me! They inflated the weight of my shipment by almost double and ransomed my property until I paid up! I have the weight ticket of my property before it went into storage! I have proof and they will pay for attempting to scam a disabled veteran!

Report them to the Better Business Bureau of your state! Report them to the American Movers and Shippers Association! Report them to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration! Report them to your Chamber of Commerce! Report them to your District Attorney's Office! I have already done this. I am working filing a small claims suit and if that doesn't work I'll be hiring an attorney!

American Van Lines Logo American Van Lines