American Red Cross — horrible blood donation experience!
On Thursday, November 16, 2017, I went to Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights, Illinois, for a blood drive. The wait was long, at least 20 minutes with numerous donors waiting after me, but that isn't even what I'm so irritated about. More than halfway through with my blood donation, the phlebotomist said my flow was slowing down. She said she wanted to adjust the needle in my arm to attempt a better flow. This is in now way, shape, or form, a pleasant experience, so I expressed my unwillingness to do so if it was not completely necessary. My blood was still flowing, just not quickly enough for the phlebotomist's liking. She decided to have a coworker come over and adjust the needle, even though I had already told her I would rather have a slow blood flow than have them use me for a pin cushion. The two phlebotomists somehow thought it best to move that needle around in my arm to increase the blood flow. Not only did the phlebotomist fail miserably, but she lost the vein altogether! As a result, I was unable to successfully donate my pint of blood and my entire effort and miserable experience went to waste! I am so irritated and angry with how these phlebotomists handled my situation today that I will NEVER AGAIN donate blood with Red Cross!! What a joke!
Updated by irritated pin cushion · Nov 16, 2017
For someone trying to do a completely selfless act, the staff sure doesn't make you feel very valuable!
More American Red Cross Complaints & Reviews
- American Red Cross - retaliation & discrimination directed at volunteers 
- American Red Cross - unethical!!! 
- Red Cross Blood Donation Center - unethical behavior
- American Red Cross - cna certification (rude, unethical, and a scam)
- American Red Cross - donations 
- American Red Cross - blood drive st anne’s hospital
- American Red Cross - hurricane harvey denial
- American Red Cross - blood donation
- American Red Cross - red cross "relief"
- American Red Cross - education staff yelling at red cross employees