American Red Crosshorrible blood donation experience!

I Nov 16, 2017 Review updated:

On Thursday, November 16, 2017, I went to Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights, Illinois, for a blood drive. The wait was long, at least 20 minutes with numerous donors waiting after me, but that isn't even what I'm so irritated about. More than halfway through with my blood donation, the phlebotomist said my flow was slowing down. She said she wanted to adjust the needle in my arm to attempt a better flow. This is in now way, shape, or form, a pleasant experience, so I expressed my unwillingness to do so if it was not completely necessary. My blood was still flowing, just not quickly enough for the phlebotomist's liking. She decided to have a coworker come over and adjust the needle, even though I had already told her I would rather have a slow blood flow than have them use me for a pin cushion. The two phlebotomists somehow thought it best to move that needle around in my arm to increase the blood flow. Not only did the phlebotomist fail miserably, but she lost the vein altogether! As a result, I was unable to successfully donate my pint of blood and my entire effort and miserable experience went to waste! I am so irritated and angry with how these phlebotomists handled my situation today that I will NEVER AGAIN donate blood with Red Cross!! What a joke!

• Updated by irritated pin cushion · Nov 16, 2017

For someone trying to do a completely selfless act, the staff sure doesn't make you feel very valuable!

• P
      Nov 17, 2017

As someone who has personally given a lot of blood over the years, I understand how awful it is to have the needle adjusted in your arm. However I wouldn't describe yourself as doing something selfless if, after one negative experience, you decide not to do it again.

• J
      Jun 15, 2018

I completely understand your experience and too decided to no longer donate. And to the individual who questioned your selflessness...you're assuming they can't be "self-less" in other ways that don't provide them with discomfort and disdain.