American Family Insurance / ignorant company

1 st joseph mo, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8168044177

american family is terrible to deal with on accidents. i was a CLEARLY not at fault driver in a wreck with an american family insured driver. i have gotten the run around from the amfam claims adjuster since and they are now at 60/40. (them accepting 60 % responsibilty) me and my insurance said hell no and we are now going to arbitration. in the mean time no rental car and my truck is at least another two weeks away from being done. the adjuster was like a robot and could have cared less about doing the right thing, not to mention the names i called him and what i said went in one ear and out the other. since my incident, i have heard lots of bad things about american family. i can only say what comes around goes around. please don't inlist american family for your insurance needs and i hope you never have to deal with them.

Comments

• Ni
      3rd of Oct, 2011

DO NOT USE AMERICAN FAMILY INSURANCE! American Family has apparently found another way to keep insurance premiums paid by consumers. We were insured for 24 yrs w/American Family w/ no claims filed & no inspections by American Family in all that time. Suddenly last winter (2011) we received a letter stating an inspector would be out - after one of the worst snows we had all winter. Then in late May 2011 we received a letter from American Family that if we did not repair trees overhanging house, some gutter problems, etc. our insurance would be cancelled on July 15th. We talked with our local agent & were told it would be okay - just make requested repairs. Then the second week or so of June we received cancellation letter with no review of our progress on repairs. Understand we needed to make substantial repairs but American Family gave us no opportunity to do the work within a reasonable amount of time before cancellation. Local agent just led us along with promises that he could get us other temporary coverage but of course on July 15th we got a so-sorry good bye phone call. So now we have no homeowners insurance & our mortgage co will force us to take their coverage at double the premium or foreclosure.
    Now we have found out we are not the only ones this has happened to in the last few months - another family in a nearby city has had the same thing happen to them.

3rd of Oct, 2011

I am a Contractor, I have been roofing for 20+ years, and in that time I have replaced thousands of roofs... That said, I want all to know that when it comes to getting your roof bought by storm damage, do not count on American Family!!! In the last year I have contacted or been contacted by over 300 clients with AFI (American Family Insurance) out of these 300, 2 roofs have been replaced!!! While we do roofs every where in Colorado, the same roofs next door are bought by all the competitors... State Farm, Hartford, Allstate, USAA, etc... AFI hires the hardest Adjusters to do business with, they look at wind and hail damage in a totally different way than the rest of the industry... Hard Core, when the roof leaks they will replace a couple of hundred dollars of drywall, but not the cause of the leak, the ROOF... Oh the $200 is paid by the client because of the DEDUCTIBLE that they give clients on roofs is 2K, 3K, 5K, etc... WOW, if I were in your shoes, its time to change insurance folks... My 2 Cents...

3rd of Oct, 2011

Same story here with American Family! had a bad hail storm here and everyone on our street is getting a new roof but us! and we have major damage. 25 years with AMI and no claims, nothing! and this is how they treat us! Very Very disgusted!
    17th of Sep, 2011 by all10pins

Same story here also. Bad hail storm on April 19 2011, every house in my court has had a new roof installed on it except mine. They say there is hail damage on my roof BUT the shingles are defective so they are denying my claim. The house is only 10 years old. I have had 4 contractors look at the roof and all have said there is hail damage . I am in the middle of an Appraisal process right now but haven't heard nothing from them in a week. Am Fam is one of the top three company to deal with in hail storms as per thr contractors. I will be switching when all is said and done.

3rd of Oct, 2011

"Love my agent, hate my ins. adjuster. Had severe water damage, policy covers me to replace at current pricing. Adjuster said they'd cover everything. Gave me a $12, 000 check right away and told me to submit quotes for the rest of the work needed to be done, and more money would be "no problem". The total of repairs is about $27, 000.00, which comes to $13, 000 additional which I need because I can't start the project without it. The few times she answered my calls her response is always "Don't worry, additional money is no problem. I didn't know your damage was so extensive when I cut the check and did the estimates. We'll give you what you need. Go ahead and get started." My damage is such that I can't get started unless I know that the additional funds will be here. She hasn't returned calls or come up with any money and it's been a month since the initial check. She hasn't even come back to see the additional damage that was discovered. My floors were all pulled out, my walls are all cut into. I have asthma (which I told the adjuster) and the dust and dirt is making my asthma worse. I'm living in terrible conditions, most people would have gone to a hotel and stayed put until the repairs were finished. But not me. No, I wanted to be considerate of AM FAM. I didn't want to "take advantage" of them. "We're here for you. We'll take good care of you" they all say when they want to sign you up. But the real truth is in the results. Right now I'm very close to contacting the insurance commission in Washington state where I live. "American" Family is a bunch of crap. The very name is an insult to America."

• Un
      15th of Oct, 2011

They are great for auto insurance. If you have a homeowners claim youre screwed.

This company sucks I was burglarized and its been 2 months and havent recieved a settlement yet. No sense of urgency at all.

Their two recommended roofers said our roof needed to be replaced. Neighbors on all sides got new roofs however American Family refused to replace our roof. They used a very narrow parameter to get out of the coverage. We had Gold Star Special Deluxe coverage on our home umbrella coverage and all our business and personal cars covered by them. We paid them a fortune and they refused to cover our roof damage. Then they refused to renew our policy so they wouldnt have to pay in the future. They suck

When we had very bad storm damage to our home American Family was the worst company to have. While other homes around us with far less damage were getting their roofs replaced American family wanted only to repair ours in spots. The deck on our home was damaged to the point it needed to be replace however again they denied the claim because they wanted only to fix it to condition it was in but claimes they couldnt do it because it wouldnt meet code. so they were not resposible for any repairs. I have been with them for 20 years this was our first claim and I will never deal with them again. The are a sham company and if your smart youll stay away from them

I have home owners insurance with AmFam I am about to get an estimate and file a claim for roof damage I noticed today Im not very optimistic about the ourcome from the comments Ive read so far Im going on fifteen plus years with this incsurance company and it looks like the more years you have with this corporation the more you are likely to get an unfair outcome on your claims My home is in the midwest and weve had a hard winter very hot summer and more than our share of hail and high winds over 60 mph with storms this year When I think about homes being totally destroyed by mother nature and the horror stories that homeowners go through with filing claims and getting little to nothing for replacing major damage and restorations Well this can only mean that I need to prepare to get ready to bite the bullet on a fair outcome for the replacement or repair of my roof There should be a process that homeowners can utilize to take legal action against these insurance companies ripping hard working people off like this Maybe we should be taking out some legal representation insurance in addition to homeowners insurance.

Our agent and her head lady are always very helpful and kind and do their job very well. One call and we get our answers and prvided help immediately if not before. Have been with our agent for many years

truck stolen and recovered totaled burnt..still not paid. Home robbed settled for less than value. Storm damaged roof adjuster wanted patch it...three others said it wasnt patchable...been with them for 15 yrs. time to move on

I was told they would cover a rental car and just a few days before I was to return the rental car they informed me they would not be covering the rental car anymore for absolutely no reason. I had to fight for 3 days straight to get them to cover for my rental car and in the end they didnt cover the whole thing. The company is filled with multiple dishonest people thats including the top people who I had to talk to in order to make them pay. Luckily I had the time to fight but the average person doesnt have the time I do and would go nowhere with them. DO NOT GET THIS INSURANCE COMPANY THEY LIE

• Ro
      24th of Apr, 2013

I am experiencing the same delays and denials for over six weeks. An AMFAM insured hit my car, and she wrote a statement ADMITTING FAULT at the accident scene. She then said she had doctor appt and did not want to wait for police. Reluctantly I was nice guy and let her leave, but took pictures of her car and license plate, my car, and her insurance card. I called amfam claim number and made statement describing how she hit me, then later went to police station and completed report there, including her statement admitting fault and the pictures. Later she includes a statement to police with conflicting information now. Police report states she is at fault. Company adjuster is a cheat. Will send complaint to state insurance office, and would like to see them sanctioned or banned from business in state. Totally unethical.