American Family Fitness / Awful place

My employer used to have payroll deduction for American Family Fitness memberships. After enough complaints they canceled the relationship. Somehow the payroll deductions continued. When we caught it several months had passed. There were many of us who had already given the gym credit card information and they were already billing our credit cards, too!

They were double dipping and when we alerted them of this they refused to refund the money saying we should have paid better attention! They they refused to cancel the membership until the contract was up even though we were justifiably angry and unsatisfied. When you do try to cancel after the membership is up they try all sorts of things to tell you it can't be done.

Just try and cancel with them! And they raise your rates without telling you! They are also very homophobic. American FAMILY Fitness is like Focus on the Family if that tells you anything. Take your money elsewhere. You'll be glad you did! American Family Fitness sucks!

Va

More American Family Fitness Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Sh
      29th of Apr, 2009

I agree completely!
    I reciently was laid off from work and am on workman's comp.
    I contacted AFF and explained my situation to them and triedg to cancel my membership, as I could no longer afford to pay the monthly fee.
    They basically told me tough luck I was locked into the membership.
    The only way I could cancel was if I moved 50 miles away from he fitness center, or got a disability.
    Other than that, they were going to deduct the fee out of my checking account until the contract was up.
    A fitness center being about family, I think not!
    They do not care about the American family, or our struggles, they are out to make a buck!

• Aa
      30th of Oct, 2010

I tried to cancel my membership as we are about to leave the area. Called first asked what should do for the cancellation, a guy answered we should meet a membership director in person with proof of relocation which confirmed that apartment rental agreement is good enough. and then the director we went to meet told a different story stated that rental agreement is not acceptable. New driver license or bank statement with new address etc are only good for cancellation. I said we can't get those until we move out and settle down for some time but then we can't return in person just for cancelling this membership. The requirement is just a way telling us this fitness firm is not for it's member but for money out of it's members' pocket. Be aware of this and stay away from this company.

• Lg
      13th of Oct, 2011

I informed the gym that I needed to cancel my membership. It was my fault for not checking, but they continued to charge my account for another 3 years. Once I caught the mistake, they said I needed to prove to them that I had cancelled my membership because they had nothing on record. On top of that, they said I had to pay for 2 more months per their cancellation policy. After trying to reason with them to no avail, I reported them to the Better Business Bureau. They did not refund my money but they did waive the cancellation period. On top of the $800 they had taken from me after I cancelled the membership, they were going to charge me for an additional two months. The rep on the phone was firm and saw nothing unethical in what her company was doing. It was sad and I felt very sorry for the young woman. She seemed proud that AFF legally did not have to refund any of my money AND they would hold me to a two-month cancellation period. It is a shame that business can operate like this and still be so successful.

• Da
      29th of May, 2012

I tried to cancel because their "kid zone" is shady and understaffed. They said too bad, you won't meet with us to "discuss a solution." What kind of solution is there if you suck? Don't suck?!!! Stop letting big kids play near infants and have a better ratio of employees to children. This gym also does not answer to any governing body with respect to child care, none! They don't have any rules to follow and they hold camps for your children and they watch your children! Be careful and buyer beware! I have combed the law and can't find any legal help.