American/Caribbean Car Rental / Credit Card Rip Off

1 Mexico Review updated:

American/Caribbean Car Rental in Cancun is engaging in a credit card scam. Don't make the mistakes I did:

1) Don't sign a blank agreement to pay for damages. After we delivered the car in fine shape, they filled in the blanks and charged us for non-existent damages

2) Don't let them bait-and-switch--especially without getting the exact cost of the crummier car they give you. Instead of the SUV we reserved months in advance, we got a car whose ignition wire jiggled loose. To their credit, they came and fixed it, only to charge us many hundreds of dollars for this service we were told at the time was "free."

3) Don't sign ANYTHING without getting an exact accounting--which means that you will need to arrive at their place WAY before your plane is due to leave. Rather than miss my flight, I signed and departed based on their promise I would get a full accounting

4) DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. I, in fact, will not ever be returning to Mexico

See other complaints on Trip Advisor

Ej

More American/Caribbean Car Rental Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Un
      14th of Apr, 2009

Payless car have the same scam, I just went back from cancun and almost what happened to you just repeated to us. I wish read your post before we leave, but anyway, I closed my credit card account and decide to deal with it...

15th of Apr, 2009

They did the same to me. Charged my credit card after returning the car in good shape. Even had them sign a document saying everything fine and no extra charges. Still they continue to charge :(