Alpine Lion Boerboels / Purchase

1 NM, United States Review updated:

I have a 23 month old boerboel who is terrified of people, children, wind, trains, cars, garbarge trucks, other dogs, etc. I don't know why she has encounted these things before but you would never know it by her response. She has been nervous since I got her, when I picked her up from her breeder it appeared to me that she had never been out of a cardboard box area that was on a concrete slab. She completely went into herself when she was removed from her littermates and in my opinion she became a nervous, fearful dog. She has been exposed to other dogs (puppy socializing classes, doggie parks, the neighborhood, long walks, hikes, etc.) but she is not really that curious about them or things around her as it seems she just wants run from the sounds or to tear a dog up because she's afraid. I always get comments about how great she looks, or asked if it's ok to pet her, when she is approached she moves and hides behind me. What can I do?

She has been in 8 dog fights with 2 needing to be taken to the vet and each time she was the one who attacked first. I can't trust her and I don't like the fact that she's afraid of everything. Have you ever encountered such a dog and what did you do.

Casandra Davis

More Alpine Lion Boerboels Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Av
      4th of Apr, 2011

I would recommend taking her to Dee Blanco, a homeopathic vet in Santa Fe-- she's GREAT with animal behavioral issues. Give her a call and discuss the issue with her: 505 986 3434.

6th of Oct, 2011

I was thinking about buying a Boerboel from them but not so sure now.
    Did you contact breeder about this. If so, I am curious as to what they said.
    Thanks
    Margie (mrb293@aol.com)

4th of Nov, 2018

@Margie Ballew I also purchased a female from them in 2012. She was afraid to walk up stairs, hop in the car, had horrible skin infections and recently died from liver failure/ cancer. She was only 4 years old at her death and I never bred her due to the skin issues. I contacted the owner at Alpine Lion and he basically accused me of trying to scam him into getting another puppy. I was contacting him because he sells [censored] dogs for $3500. I purchased another from another breeder. I will never return to him.

• Vi
      13th of Jun, 2012

I bought a boerboel from them last march and am really pleased my girl. She is smart, outgoing and great with other dogs. Alpine lion was great to deal with, they were attentive and patient. I even asked for a video and even though he didn't know how to send it to me, he worked on it til I had one. I would definitely get another dog from them.

• Mo
      18th of Jan, 2014

I also recieved a boerboel from patrick and had nothing but health issues i believe there is some bad breeding going on so far 2 years old hip problems knee problems heart problems doc said i am lucky dog is still alive i believe there are more people out there and would love to talk to them. rt now my dog cant even walk going back to vet in am. this dog has seen vet atleast 40 times its the most painful experience i have ever been through in my life something has to be done!!!

2nd of Jan, 2017

@mousey I also bought a dog from them December 2012. My girl has had skin problems since I got her. I've changed her diet, fed her a tea of oregano, bathe her once a week and do an oregano tea rinse. She recently died December 17th 2016 from liver failure and white blood cell lymphoma at the age of 4. I will NEVER get another dog from him. I should have known something was up when I paid for "pick of the litter" and the mother ate all of the pups but mine. I felt it was a lie at the time and I am now convinced of it. My father has a 8 year old dog he has gotten from Alpine and his dog also has skin issues and now prostate problems.

• Da
      6th of May, 2014

I got a big black boerboel from Patrick and I had no problem he was the easiest to deal with I the whole dog business he is smart 175lbs. He has perfect agility three in a half feet tall I asked him for some vids and pics and he gave me about one hundred he was the most professional I've seen in the dog business

• Jt
      26th of Sep, 2014

I bought a dog from Patrick Hall, with Alpine Lion Boerboels recently. I was having the dog shipped to me, and Patrick was fine to deal with until I paid for the dog. He became very unprofessional and rude the moment he had my money. He took his time shipping me the dog. Patrick made him self clear when I asked when he would send the dog, he replied in a text, "I'll get to it when I can (or want)." I was not too happy with him and asked for a refund, so I could take my business elsewhere. He told me he would not be refunding me the $1000 "deposit" I placed on the pup. He stated in a text, "call a lawyer if you want to be a difficult ###!!" I eventually received the dog. She is wonderful and I can't say anything bad about his product, but as a business man and professional, I can say he is awful! I would never do business with him again, and would never recommend him to anyone.

16th of Aug, 2018

@jTauber EXCELLENT DOG WAS RECEIVED ON TIME AT 8 WEEKS OLD!!
    CANNOT SHIP THEM BEFORE THAT TIME (OR IF WEATHER DICTATES OTHERWISE).
    SOME FOLKS CAN'T ACCEPT THAT LIFE IS FLUID AND SOMETIMES YOU CANNOT CONTROL CERTAIN THINGS.
    GREAT PUP...DIFFICULT CLIENT.
    (unfortunately, only the negative responses make it online...but 3 complaints in 15 years when we've placed over 300 dogs worldwide in that time?...EXCEPTIONAL!!)

• Ca
      29th of Nov, 2014

I paid for a dog in full and was told that he had a heart issue and could not be sold. The process to find out was lengthy and Patrick told me several days later than discovered - just enough time for my check to clear. When I asked for a refund, he told me that $1, 000 of it was non-refundable. So, I chose another pup. It was sent by air at 7 weeks old and the shots were not only given too early, the proof/documentation showed that the vaccinations administered were expired. This cost me some extra money at the vet to make sure the shots took after the final round was given. I should have known better when I asked for references in my same state... he advised I would get them but he never came through. The dog is fine and healthy but the whole process was very stressful and I was given major attitude when I contacted him stating the pup had landed safely. VERY bad business, HORRIBLE service, and a HUGE ego - but so far the dog is healthy. Definitely would NOT purchase from him again

• Ra
      31st of Aug, 2015

They sent me a blind dog and very sick. I'm going to lawyer to get him to do what is right.

16th of Aug, 2018

@Ranster01 FALSE. And this person received an immediate replacement against our better thoughts. The original dog in question was fine...as was (is) the NEW UN-MENTIONED FREE replacement pup.
    again, one of the 3 out of 300. It's awful and not what we want at all (ANY bad experiences). However, these are living organisms and sometimes (like with humans) things happen. Attitudes get tested, and emotions run high when dealing with sick "family members". We always try our best to accommodate and utilize a protocol to get to the bottom of ANY complaint or concern. But, sometimes it is of no avail as the person is set with their judgment and belief and will not budge (unless it's to be our fault unequivocally).

• Js
      28th of Sep, 2015

I am the new owner of said sick dog above, Not sick, not blind. Has slight cornial cloudyness in one eye but not affecting her. It is also getting better, might go away. Love this DOG... I believe said client above got a new replacement dog and was still disappointed. No problems with breeder or his animals, training and attention is what shapes animals.

16th of Aug, 2018

@Jstewart2015 Yes the dog is fine...AND they did recieve a replacement pup due to extreme aggressiveness and threats. NOT due to a faulty animal. Cannot please everyone

• Bo
      21st of Dec, 2015

I Jody Tudor just bought Three puppies and they got here safe. Every thing went smoothly, It was like wow !what some fine looking puppies . Then a week later I just can't believe how will there growing and playing. I think the thing is it helps puppies to be together. There already going out to use the rest room thank God . The thing is they need love and can play when I am not there. In my own words it helps to buy two or three, when your bring them into a new home. It relax them makes thing easier

• Ho
      26th of Jan, 2016

I have purchased 2 pups from Patrick from different litters. One dog is now 13 months old difficult has killed 1 dog been in 6 dog fights, but I love her. The other dog is 10 months old has a temperament to die for. Easy going loving kind. She sadly is not particularly sound but the fault is all mine. She was sadly trampled by a horse at 2 months old. Patrick was a little difficult on shipping of first pup but other than that pretty normal. I love my Boerboels they are both black females and would go through the process again

1st of Sep, 2017

@horsetrainer Hi horsetrainer, we also have pup we got in march of 2015. She was from Beast and Zaire.. We love her so much. Her personality and disposition is wonderful.. Can you tell me what the parents were of the female that is difficult and aggressive?

16th of Aug, 2018

@horsetrainer This is the first weve heard that our dog KILLED another!. We actually just sold this client another Male. Wish I'd known this history. Knew she was hot and had and had high drive and some fire (that was reported not observed at 8 weeks old). But had no idea of the extent. Communication is KEY!!

• Ta
      2nd of Jul, 2016

I have been doing my research and I really want a black male boerboel and was thinking of getting one from alpine but after what I am reading is there any serious inbreeding going on? To read about all these health problems and dog fights and killing other dogs is quit serious. Can you please give me more intel before I put a deposit? It sounds like they may not be easy to deal with but their website says the opposite

2nd of Jan, 2017

@Tania Fiolleau I just found this site. Don't do it. Take your money elsewhere. You'll probably get a better dog straight from a breeder in South Africa for the same price and it'll include shipping. I bought a female from Alpine, breeding quality female from him December 2012. Never actually bred her but I loved her. My girl just died at the age of 4 from liver failure and white blood cell lymphoma, December 17, 2016. She was only 4!!! Before she died she had skin issues, raised bumps on her skin, fur falling out in patches, skin sores that oozed blood. I should've known something was up when he told me the mother ate all of the puppies but mine.

16th of Aug, 2018

@MeMe504 This doesn't ring a bell...sorry. But, it would had we been informed and the person willing to take a bit of time to contact us and allow us to research the claims without losing their composure (a phenomenon that is common when dealing with a high emotional situation).

16th of Aug, 2018

@Tania Fiolleau This client? ...DID purchase from us and now has the best dog she's EVER owned!! He's a model and a superstar athlete.
    Tania?...care to post something positive about us and Nitro?

**IN RESPONSE**
    Hello this is Patrick Hall Owner/Operator of Alpine Lion Boerboels LLC. I have been reading these complaints that have been levied over the span of 7 years and I count only TWO folks with dogs that had health issues. In our defense (or response) I would offer that these cases were folks whose anger and frustration reached such a fever pitch that we were UNABLE to continue communications to remedy these situations. These dogs are our family members and they quickly become that of our clients. When a family member is stricken or otherwise afflicted with a negative condition...emotions run HIGH. We ALWAYS seek to remedy ANY condition we feel may have its origin genetically (or otherwise). However, we DO ask for vet reports, videos of symptoms, and any other pertinent information to make a final decision regarding puppy replacement and just to have the information to support any claims. Also, so we can seek to eliminate any genetic issues if they are there.
    Now, in the 25 years our family has been breeding Mastiff dogs we have NEVER once had a client admit that a disease or condition may have begun with them...it's ALWAYS the "breeders fault". With this, we have to assess the situation accordingly and take emotion out of it and get to the root of the issue or complaint. This causes some to feel abandoned and that we don't care or are callous. We are not. We have NEVER sold a dog that we knowingly had health issues and do not breed with dogs that knowingly have health issues...EVER.
    Also, I would like to point out a FACT(s):
    1) If you have a NEGATIVE buying experience you post it all over the web.
    2) If you have a POSITIVE buying experience you remain silent.
    (we also sell to many celebrities that remain anonymous so you'll never hear from them)
    IN OVER 15 YEARS WE HAVE PLACED OVER 300 PUPS (OR ADULTS) WORLDWIDE!!
    ...WE CAN COUNT OUR NEGATIVE REPORTS?...ON ONE HAND!!
    THESE ARE INCREDIBLE PERCENTAGES AND WE ARE ACTUALLY QUITE PROUD OF THEM!!

**IN RESPONSE TO MY ATTITUDE**:
    I'm human and i'm a bit eccentric some may say. I AM very knowledgeable and passionate about dog breeding and have been breeding Mastiff dogs since I was 12 and i'm 52 years old. I can come across as 'coarse' or even rude I guess to some. A phenomenon we do see is that while folks are purchasing their dog they many demands which we address. Once the dog is actually purchased we have very little time to put together an exorbitant amount of work to get the pup sent off promptly and properly. During this shipping and planning week our communications suffer a bit (or should I say the constant attention and answering all questions diminishes...accordingly). This OFTEN creates the sense that "now that we're paid?...we don't care". Actually, we DO care and now have to place all that attention and care to the actual live animal and not the clients needs (creating a false sense of abandonment).
    I also, have several other positions in life
    1) I am Master Level Clinical Social Worker (LMSW) Psychotherapist that works with troubled children in conjunction with the dogs.
    2) I have a Masters Degree in Business Administration and can apparently come off as 'conceited' when talking about business. Something i'm working on and not an intended result of my education. Again, my apologies.
    3) I am a Professional Stand Up Comedian (THIS can and should possibly explain some of the missed communications or feelings that I wasn't being serious...for this I apologize).