AIG Auto Insurance / Rate Increase

United States Review updated:
I had 21st Century auto insurance for almost 20 years now. Last year they sold to AIG. I have removed/sold one vehicle this year and have an excellent driving record. When I heard on the news about their bailout, then one week later the extravagant parties in California, i decided I would not use them going forward. We pay our income taxes and they used it for parting. "Rewarding the sales personell"..who cares if they need rewarding. Don't they get commissions?

I just received my renewal notice. An increase of 145%. I will most definately not be renewing with them and I will be sending a nice cancellation letter for them to frame.

Comments

Je
  8th of Nov, 2008
I had been insured with AIG for several years and last year even recieved a discount. However, with renewal scheduled for mid-November this year, I recieved a statement which shows a nearly 50% rate increase.

The only changes since last renewal is that my wife had a speeding ticket 01/07 and our son turned 15 (he is not licensed and will not be listed on the policy).

Looks like they want me to contribute to their $85B bailout.

Attempts to contact AIG and my agent have so far been unsuccessful. I have left messages and sent an email with no response.

I've changed carriers to be effective my renewal date - and was quoted a price 25% lower than my old rate (which I thought was reasonable)
Ma
  20th of Nov, 2008
I just got a rate increase of 50% also and I had no change in my policy at all in the past 3 years I have been with them and when I contacted them they said everybody in my state got a rate increase because there was to many accidents for my state.
Looks like they thought I was going to help out on there bailout to...well I will anyway they always get ya in the end
Sm
  4th of Jan, 2009
Don't waste your time with the letter, they won't care. The party you're referring to was for their top-producing independent agents. These are the people (outside the company) that send them the most business. Since the party was 90% pre-paid, it was a very smart move not to reneg on a party that was previously earned by the people most likely to send you business and keep their company afloat.
Ge
  12th of Mar, 2011
Denied paying for my damages from someone hitting me. Tried to pay me 20% of what was owed to me. Don't buy any products from this bad insurer.