AIG Auto Insurance / Rate Increase

I had 21st Century auto insurance for almost 20 years now. Last year they sold to AIG. I have removed/sold one vehicle this year and have an excellent driving record. When I heard on the news about their bailout, then one week later the extravagant parties in California, i decided I would not use them going forward. We pay our income taxes and they used it for parting. "Rewarding the sales personell"..who cares if they need rewarding. Don't they get commissions?

I just received my renewal notice. An increase of 145%. I will most definately not be renewing with them and I will be sending a nice cancellation letter for them to frame.

Comments

• Je
      8th of Nov, 2008

I had been insured with AIG for several years and last year even recieved a discount. However, with renewal scheduled for mid-November this year, I recieved a statement which shows a nearly 50% rate increase.

The only changes since last renewal is that my wife had a speeding ticket 01/07 and our son turned 15 (he is not licensed and will not be listed on the policy).

Looks like they want me to contribute to their $85B bailout.

Attempts to contact AIG and my agent have so far been unsuccessful. I have left messages and sent an email with no response.

I've changed carriers to be effective my renewal date - and was quoted a price 25% lower than my old rate (which I thought was reasonable)

20th of Nov, 2008

I just got a rate increase of 50% also and I had no change in my policy at all in the past 3 years I have been with them and when I contacted them they said everybody in my state got a rate increase because there was to many accidents for my state.
    Looks like they thought I was going to help out on there bailout to...well I will anyway they always get ya in the end

• Sm
      4th of Jan, 2009

Don't waste your time with the letter, they won't care. The party you're referring to was for their top-producing independent agents. These are the people (outside the company) that send them the most business. Since the party was 90% pre-paid, it was a very smart move not to reneg on a party that was previously earned by the people most likely to send you business and keep their company afloat.

• Ge
      12th of Mar, 2011
    AIG Auto Insurance - Bad faith insurer
    AIG Auto Insurance

Denied paying for my damages from someone hitting me. Tried to pay me 20% of what was owed to me. Don't buy any products from this bad insurer.