Advantage / Car Rental / Hidden fee!

1 Canada Review updated:

On today’s date, August 07th 2007, I had the misfortune of dealing with Advantage Car rental. A company has never treated me so rudely in my life; upon returning a vehicle to your Matheson location here in Mississauga, Ontario.

On Aug. 03, I was in an accident with my two children. Luckily no one was hurt. I was told I could have a car rented and delivered to me at the scene of the accident. I was more than willing to accept this offer and obliged to use this service. I was happy to see Advantage showed up within 20 minutes for my two children and myself.

Upon returning the vehicle after having it for all of 3 days, I decided I had used the car long enough. I was bombarded with aggressive questions as to why I was returning it, and now I’ll be charged a $100 early drop off fee. First of all, the Advantage representative who showed up at the scene assured me there were no additional charges. Secondly the rep behind the counter proceeded to tell me in a very offensive, humiliating manner “why did you have us show up on a Friday before the long weekend to deliver a car when you didn’t need it?” Thirdly what constitutes an early drop off fee; I had the car for 3 days. Because this is an insurance claim Advantage thinks they can get more money out of my misfortune!

I will not be satisfied until 1. the rep is reprimanded for his actions and 2. reimbursed for this so called drop charge (cancellation) fee. and other unexplained fees.

I will never use this company again.

Comments

• Ca
      17th of Nov, 2009

Hi,

I read your complaint regarding your dispute with Advantage Car Rentals. I had a very similar experience recently. My final bill was hundreds of dollars more than the original on-line booking total. When I picked up the car I even showed the on-line agreement to the attendant to confirm its validity and he said it was correct (which turned out to be untruthful). He never informed me that numerous other charges would be added.
    I will be documenting my experience and forwarding the dispute to numerous agencies (listed below). I think the case I put forward will have greater impact if I could provide proof of similar experiences from other customers (there appears to be many more like us on consumer web sites). We may not get our money back, but I want to have pressure put on Advantage to stop misleading its customers.
    I’m wondering if you would like me to add your name and some contact info (preferably at least an e-mail address and/or phone #) to the documentation I send to these investigative agencies. If so, please e-mail me with your info at the_carmanizer@yahoo.ca
    Thanks,

L8N 1A8
    Telephone: (905) 526-1112

W5 Consumer Show – CTV News
    Anton Koschany – Executive Producer
    P.O. Box 9, Station 'O, '
    Scarborough, Ontario, Canada

Toronto, ON
    M5W 1E6
    Phone: 1-866-535-3786 (toll-free)

Go Public: CBC News
    Producers: Kathy Tomlinson, Enza Uda and Marc Baby http://www.cbc.ca/bc/features/gopublic/

Hilton Hotel Toronto Airport

The Toronto Star
    Editor: Michael Cooke
    Managing Editor: Joe Hall
    On Your Side @ The Star
    Journalist: Ellen Roseman (columnist who exposed ACR’s fraudulent practices in a previous article – included in customer reviews below)
    One Yonge Street

9th of Sep, 2018
    Advantage Rent A Car A Hertz Company - junky vehicle
    Saint Albans
    Maine

i rented a vehicle from hertz about a year ago and the car was total junk. scratches all over the car and the window had a crack in it. the car was also dirty inside and outside.

• Ho
      10th of Sep, 2018
    Advantage Rent A Car A Hertz Company - Reimbursement
    Newark
    New Jersey
    Hertz.com

Hi, I'm requesting reimbursement for my OD fees.
    RR# 656230492 H41936014C4
    Unique Query Reference # 01144804
    I've submitted bank statements along w/ a letter from the bank. I've been reimbursed $500 I'm looking 4 reimbursement of $120 in OD fees!
    Sum of people I've spoken to who OBVIOUSLY w/no help!
    Lavonia

21st of Oct, 2018
    Advantage Rent A Car A Hertz Company - Car rental
    Grand Rapids
    Michigan

7/15/17 a Hertz parking attendant did an exaggerated backout of a Hertz rental car not looking around (at my parked rental) & slammed into passenger front panel of my National rental. 3 people screamed, waving No, No! & Stop! without success. The Hertz Mgr Susan Smith was RUDE, not cooperating with Airport Police reporting or me! UNBELIEVABLE!

• El
      5th of Nov, 2018
    advantage Rent A Car A Hertz Company - Daily car re talk fees
    Fairfield
    California
    Hertz.com

I ordered a Hertz car via 800 number and got a quote of $36 a day. When I picked up my car the rate was $58 a day. I was told the $36 a day rate was the approximate rate as it said on form. All inquiries on the internet rate the price as $34 and above. Did not see A $58 daily rate.