Advanta / Interest rate scam
I opened my Advanta small business credit card account in January and after nine months of regular, on-time payments, my interest rate was just raised from 7.99% to 25.8%. When I called and asked why, they said there were no late payments, but the rate increase was based on "a complicated formula of a variety of risk factors including credit history, other credit card payments, mortgages, car loans, etc., and that I was a high risk". They refused to tell me specifically what caused me to be "high risk".
I immediately checked my credit score, which is 777 - rated as "great" and only a 2% risk. We have no car loans, and have paid the mortgage off in full.
I suspect that this is a standard ploy of Advanta's, offering a low "come on" rate and then raising it, and has nothing to do with credit ratings.
According to several consumer credit card websites, Advanta is very popular... which I suspect will change if they continue this business practice. Too bad, because I actually liked the company, and I tend to be a loyal consumer.
More Advanta Complaints & Reviews
- Advanta - Jump in interest rate from 2.99 percent to 34.99 percent 
- Advanta - Canceled my credit card 
- Advanta - larceny at it's worst
- Advanta - How to STOP their calls 
- Advanta - Unauthorized charges 
- Advanta - unethical fincancial managment
- Advanta - credit card rate increase 
- Advanta - refund
- Advanta - Loan Shark Interest Rates 
- Advanta - Predatory Lending Practices