A Best Choice Movers / Scam artists

1 200 South Newman StreetHackensack, NH, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-541-move

A Best Choice Movers is absolutely THE WORST CHOICE anyone could possibly make when selecting a moving company! I had to file complaints with the BBB and the NJ State Attorney General's Office because this company has such bad business practices! Don't let them tell you complaints listed here are those of the competition... that's what they told me. I can assure you I am NOT a competitor... just a regular consumer who was looking for a reliable, honest moving company to move my belongings less than 1 mile away. What I received was lies, undisclosed charges, over billing, damaged furniture, and more attitude & arrogance than you can imagine! I packed myself but was charged $507 for packing materials! They wrapped items in pads, then used "soft crates" and charged me for both when 1 would have been sufficient. They charged me $138 for 38 rolls of tape!! I specifically requested no pictures or mirrors be taken by them as I did not want to pay the packing charges... when I wasn't looking they wrapped up the mirrors... when I questioned them & disputed the charges, they refused to unload my furniture until I paid the bill in full. To top it all off, they didn't finish the job. They told me they had plenty of time & space when they arrived, said it wasn't necessary to look at how much I had and insisted on moving my household items first when I told them my storage closed at 4 PM... they ran out of space on the truck and could make a 2nd trip as the storage was closing and we were also out of time.

Whatever you do... if you are looking for a moving company, my finance used Broadway Movers 2 days after I moved and they were great! I wish I had listened to him. A Best Choice should be shut down for misrepresentation, deception and fraud!! Do Not Use Them!!!

Comments

• Ra
      28th of Jul, 2008

Lisstte,

I also had the same prolem with the company. Maybe we can join forces to fight against them. It will be easier to follow up as a group rather than alone.

• Dk
      27th of Aug, 2008

I had similar issue.
    scheduled to unloading only. one hour before loading, they called and said their truck was broken and couldn't come. I complained & told them I would hire someone else. 3 hours later, they called again to send in another team by the end of day, while I was searching for another moving company. They did came at almost 5PM with 3 exhausted guys, even though I specifically asked for 4 people because of moving a baby grand piano. they asked me to sign off all the papers without any number on it and said it's standard procedure. while, to keep story short, they didn't finish loading on time ( of course, one less people and they're tired when coming in), but still charge me at 4 person's rate, 1 extra hour ( not counting travel time), and a broken leg in sofa. even though I gave each $20 tip, they kept asking for more.
    I called 3 times afterwards to adjust the charge and was told they did what they did move the piano without damage ( like doing me a favor they didn't break it) and all charges are valid in their point of view.
    I will dispute the charge from credit card company.

• Li
      17th of Oct, 2008

My complaint with A Best Choice Movers has been resolved! I was recently contacted by the owner of the company who was fair, honest & professional. He offered me a very acceptable resolution! I wish I had delt with him from the beginning...unfortunately, good help is hard to find these days. It is my understanding that A Best Choice Movers has gone through some staff changes recently which will help them tremendously! I had no real issues with the job the movers did...my furniture & belongings arrived without issue.

• Tr
      26th of Oct, 2008

I had A Better Choice Movers (which is now A Best Choice Movers) move my belongings from Piscataway to their warehouse in Fairfield. In February 2008 they moved to Hackensack and changed their name to A Best Choice Movers. I was not informed of the move and when I went to make a payment, it was returned. I contacted the police department in Fairfield and they told me they moved and that's when I found them.
    When they did the move in October 2006, they quoted me $500.00. I told them that was all I had. They told me that included packing and boxes. I did pack alot of the stuff beforehand so there wouldn't be alot for them to do. By the time they got everything on the truck they were planning on, they charged me $1, 500.00. They were putting things like one small lamp into a box and they used 2 rolls of tape for each box! They told me if I didn't pay it right then that they would take all of my items to auction the next day!! I had to borrow money from my aunt which was very stressful. They were late getting there and it took about 5 hours longer than what they quoted. They ended up leaving some of my stuff behind because they were too tired and ran out of time!
    In March 2008 I wanted to pick my items up from their storage facility. I told them I could not afford to pay the $99 a month any longer. They told me I could not come and get my things, they would have to deliver them at $75 an hour with a minimum of 3 hours. They told me they would hold my items and I could start making payments when I could afford it.
    In July 2008 some jerk called me and told me they only had 1 payment from me and that they were sending my items to auction. I provided money order receipts and that still wasn't good enough. I finally talked to someone who was willing to work with me.
    I made a few payments of $200 and then they called me and told me they were going out of business October 31st and I had to come up with $1, 900 for the balance! They were not accepting my money order copies! I finally came up with $1, 400 and they agreed to that.
    They moved my items to my new home last week and there are alot of things missing and alot of things broken. The boxes are all torn up! I am so upset!
    I have already filed a complaint with BBB and I am going to send a complaint to the NJ Attorney General's office.