24 Hour Fitness / stolen funds! plain ordinary rip-off!

I signed up for a membership with 24 hour fitness at work in Omaha, Nebraska on approximately 11-8-06. They scanned my bank debit card and were supposed to charge me $64.00. On 11-9-06 they withdrew $114.16. I contacted them on 11-9-06, and spoke with a Stella Hedin, and advised her of the situation. She advised that they would put the difference back into my account. The funds were not put back into my account at that time. I have since spoken to her and her supervisor Reggie Morton about 6 or 7 times by phone, and each time they assured me that the funds will be returned immediately. The funds have never been returned. I have attempted to be patient, but at this point it has been well over a month, and I can no longer trust that they will ever return the funds. It is very difficult for me to believe that a corporation like this would not even have the decency to resolve their own mistakes, but would rather have a person like myself tell everyone who will listen, that this company is a plain ordinary rip-off. Sad!

Comments

• Va
      7th of Feb, 2007

For any of you out there that are looking to sign up for personal training sessions with 24 hour Fitness - DO NOT DO IT! DO NOT DO IT! DO NOT DO IT!

I was scammed, and plain old ripped off by this company.

When I signed up on New Year's Day, the sales man told me that I could pace my 6 sessions over 6 months! I paid $250 for these sessions. Then, when I met the trainers, they ALL insisted that I "train" twice a week MINIMUM for "best results" and then "buy more sessions".

Bait and switch anybody?

When I complained to the manager, he had the nerve to tell me I was LYING and that his salesman would have said no such thing! JERK!

My very first "session" comprised for measurements, and 20 minutes on the treadmill. THAT WAS IT. I was asked to come back for "session # 2" to discuss my goal, exercise plans etc. Oh, and their nutritional "plan" is full of "supplements" that THEY SELL! I was also asked to sign a contract that said (in small print) that supplements would be "recommended" and that I agree to buy these supplements. Yeah...right! I'm on multi-vitamins and don't need their calcium supplements, as I told their "trainer" and her response was that it was "recommended" but not mandatory! But I still had to sign it... IGNORE THE SMALL PRINT, SHE SAID! In addition, you have to sign a sessions log - an UNFILLED log - which, if they wanted to, they could fill up and your signature would be right underneath, giving the impression that you actually had all those sessions even if they hadn't given you the time of the day.

Rip off, anyone?

Wait ... it gets even better (or worse). I was told I couldn't get a refund, even for dissatisfaction with "service" (or lack thereof) because "their system doesn't allow them to issue refunds". When I called corporate office, they informed me that the local club needs to issue refunds.

So basically, these folks bait and switch customers, lure them in with misrepresentation, then try to bleed every dime out of it and even accuse the customer of lying.

So in a nutshell, my suggestion to all of you - DO NOT GO TO THIS COMPANY. These have not one BUT TWO PENDING CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS AGAINST THEM FOR MISREPRESENTATION AND FRAUDULENT BILLING, they had ONE employee class-action lawsuit and they only recently paid $2.5 million to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit. You'd think that they couldn't go any lower, but they're actively TRYING! Never say never... is their motto, except when it comes to customer (DIS)SERVICE.

• Je
      16th of Apr, 2007

Sub: Horrendous and misleading tactics

I joined 24 hour fitness in Jan of this year. At the time that I sat with the "Sales Manager", we discussed one very important aspect of my life - that I am a somewhat recent stroke survivor. On the initial application I completed every item necessary including health problems and my recent incident. The sales person continued to do his used car sales tactics and told me they were having a personal training contest, at which point he got me to sign up for 10 personal training sessions. Yes - I bought it when he kept lowering the price and we joked about the contest. During that time I mentioned my health condition to him and asked that I get a trainer who was able to work with and understand such problems. I also asked him if this would be a problem for training. He assured me it would not, took my money and sent me on my way. Their trainers are SO overbooked that I couldn't even get a session set up for over 4 weeks. That is where I met my trainer, who, by the way, is not professionally trained as I was promised by the sales guy. My trainer put all of my info in the computer only to tell me that he would not be able to train me until I had a medical release completed. I took the medical release to my doctor who refuses to let me work with untrained professionals in fear I could easily get injured and declined to release me. I took this back to 24 hour fitness only to be told that my 3 day right of rescission had passed and they would issue no refund for training OR the hideous amount of money I had to put down for the membership itself. So they have over $500 of my money for a month of crappy membership. I argued that the sales person should have given me this release up front so I would have had time to get it completed, but since they took so long to book training I could not have possibly known this would be necessary. I have left sooooo many messages with different people, to no avail. I have never received a return call and a personal visit got me a closed door. This has now been going on for months and I am sick about it. What a sham, they mislead you, take your money and then hide. This company needs to pay for it's misleading used car sales tactics.

25th of Jun, 2007

I signed up for 24 hour about a month ago. When I signed up they told me about the training sessions. I bought 10, and they too told me that i could stretch them over a year! I thought that great but then I was told to achieve best results i should go at least twice a week at minimum.

I listened and for the first 3 weeks I went twice a week. I was loving it, sure enough I became more comfortable working without guidance so now for the remainders of my session i go every week and a half!

Stop being such a complainer!!!

However, their financial department in Jamaica is super ANNOYING they called me 8 times between Friday at 3:00 pm and Saturday at 8:00pm!!!

• Fo
      21st of Sep, 2007

not only do they rip off the clients, their employees too.

• Br
      4th of Feb, 2008

I signed up for a 24hour fitness membership over a year ago, I had my account for four month at which point I requested to have it "frozen" indefinitely untill I was ready to return to the gym. I was assured that this was okay and to simple come back to the gym and ask for my account to be re-activated. after having my account frozen for about 6 months I recieved a notice from my bank that I was overdrawn because 24 hour fitness charged me three months worth of membership fee's all at once! I imediately went to the sales associate at my gym to figure out why this had happend. He told me its gym policy to reactive any frozen account after three months, he also told me that they had billing "issues" the past two months which is why I recieved such a large bill the third month of my accounts reactivation. I told him I was assured by another associate that my account would remain frozen untill my consent and that I wanted a full refund. I had to return to this guy three times to get this porblem worked out, each time I was told I would have the funds in my bank account within weeks. By the third time I went to talk to this guy he pretended to not even remember my situation and was to buisy to assist me. By this time I was so fed up I had another associate cancel my account. Its been a year and I have not seen a penny from them. If there really is a class action lawsuit going on against 24 hour fitness I want in!

11th of May, 2008

DON'T EVEN TRY TO SIGN UP FOR A ONE-WEEK USAGE - IT CONVERTS AUTOMATICALLY TO A ONE-YEAR AND YOU ARE CHARGED!!!

Signed up on a business trip to use the gym with payment of $40 for one week at 24-hour fitness in Las Vegas in March 2007; after the week was over they sent a "debt" for $59.69 to a collection agency, National Asset Recovery Systems, Inc. of Chesterfield, MO. Apparently the forms presented as a "one week signup" convert automatically to a full-year $99 membership unless you specifically cancel the arrangement with them! The collection agency has no information about the origin of the debt, simply insists on collecting it, and 24-Hour Fitness assures us that it's been "taken care of, " yet the collection agency keeps sending dunning notices.

• Fr
      6th of Jun, 2008

I signed up with this company and used the service only once. When I went in a second time I had no card so I asked the attendent to just look me up and use my ID...he was rude, refused and told me I had to pay right then and there for a new card.

At that time I cancelled and later...4 years later found that they were deducting from accounts I had on auto pay!!! I am trying to get that money back!!

• Ri
      23rd of Mar, 2012

DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT WITH ACHIEVE 24 HOUR FITNESS IN HACKETTSTOWN, NJ. I MOVED 90 MILES AWAY . I NOTIFIED ABC FINANCIAL, THEY REQUESTED A COPY OF MY LEASE. I PROVIDED THE LEASE AND THEY CONTINUED TO BILL MY CREDIT CARD FOR AN ADDITIONAL 3 PAYMENTS STATING THEY DIDN'T GET MY ADDRESS AND SIGNATURE. THEY ARE CROOKS AND DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH.