Charles Duggan Lettingsstole our tenant deposit

Z

Rob was a terrible property manager while managing our property, and then once we ceased using him because we found he was trading illegally he never gave our tenants back their deposit.
He doesn't reply to emails and hangs up/changes his number when we call.
We have had to cover our tenants deposit, and are considering legal proceedings, but worry that he owes so many people money that it'll be a cost we get nothing in return for.

• Charles Duggan Lettings's response · Jun 21, 2017

Firstly Zoe don't try jumping on the band wagon. I never had any issues with yourself or Patrick until you both became very difficult to deal with even your tenants found you both awful to deal with. I now know why you became so difficult it was because you didn't want to pay 1 and half years worth of fees but still wanted to retain the tenant I found you. Thank you

• Updated by Zoe1234 · Jun 21, 2017

We are not going to respond to ‘unhappyman2012’s comments. Plenty of people have had very similar experiences to us and we just want to make others aware so they don’t have the same experience. We are also looking to get and give advice on resolving these issues e.g. legal proceedings, other complaint mechanisms etc. If anyone would like to discuss please message us directly on here.

• Un
    UnhappyLandlord Jul 20, 2017

Rob Duggan t/as Charles Duggan Lettings let a couple of properties for me and registered the tenants’ deposits with MyDeposits.co.uk Insurance backed scheme.
    In order to be a member and protect deposits under this scheme, the agent agrees under contract with MyDeposits.co.uk to keep all tenants’ deposits in a segregated client account and provide copy bank statements as proof of funds annually, or more frequently if requested. If the agent is subsequently unable to provide this proof then MyDeposits.co.uk cancel the agent’s membership.

MyDeposits.co.uk recently contacted me to inform me that they were cancelling Charles Duggan Lettings membership and after several email exchanges with Rob to get my tenants’ deposits back, I have started civil proceedings. However, surely this breach of the contract with MyDeposits.co.uk and the client account deficit is evidence of criminal intent to defraud?

For reasons of data protection MyDeposits.co.uk could not give me details of exactly how many other landlords or deposits were involved, but indicated that there were a significant number. If requested by the Police, they said they could provide all the necessary information/evidence and would gladly do so to help pursue rogue agents.

I have reported my case to Action Fraud emphasizing that they should get in touch with MyDeposits.co.uk who can provide evidence of the many other Landlords who have also been victims. Action Fraud, however, have suggested that, whilst they cannot investigate all cases of potential fraud that are reported to them, they would be more likely to pursue this particular case if further complaints were reported to them.

macman1 Jun 21, 2017

No Band wagons here Rob, just plently of people with very similar issues, we can't all be wrong.

• Un