Century PoolsUnethical treatment of employees, deceit and illegal activity

R

Century Pools is a company that hires Eastern European lifeguards for Northern Virginia and Maryland apartment communities. The management team then scams the seasonal employees out of thousands of US dollars by illegally reducing hours worked so that the final check is incorrect compared to the hours worked. Phone calls to management has fallen on deaf ears, and many seasonal workers returned home after receiving fees for checks that were bounced due to a lack of funds. Century Pools explains to their seasonal employees that each account is separate and that they will get their money when they get home via mail. The checks are never sent and so the employees are being ripped off. The agreed amounts of money for each employee for living arrangements are also siphoned illegally as each employee has more money taken out per paycheck that agreed upon by signed contracts. Century Pools is unethical in every facet of employee and employer relations.

When you scam seasonal foreign workers especially ones from countries that have had little exposure to the US one would expect that a US based company would try to facilitate an honest relationship instead the employees are placed in to apartments with no furnishings, required to work and receive consistent under payments, and agreed upon fees are over charged throughout the months the employees are working. This is illegal and when we contacted the better business bureau as well as equal employment we were told there is a process so we will be going through the process and have accumulate multiple signatures and powers of attorney to approach and hopefully recoup funds that have been stolen from employees over the years.

We have recourse in the US and will not allow a US based company to work in an unethical and dishonest manner. Checks bounced and have bounced with this organization on multiple occasions, employees are lied to and management lacks any understanding of what a contract means, and what integrity is required to honor a signed contract for employment and labor.

Century Pools will be losing multiple contracts and high level corporate officers will be aware of this organization and their lack of integrity and ethics in Virginia and Maryland.

• Uy
    uyguo Sep 13, 2008

completly true! the biggest scam ever, now even the last 2 paycheks are in delay! :(

• Fa
    Fan boy Sep 15, 2008

Why is that?
    I do not understand you man...if they did not paid your wages you should just walk away earlier than sitting here and complaining about it.
    They suck ...but still they are not so bad company.

They just banckupted. So ...no money for you!!! Sorry

• Lo
    local pool mgmt company owner Sep 15, 2008

This does happen a lot. I've been awarded many community pool management contracts that were previously run by Century. This is due to the treatment of the guards and the effect that it has on safety. Lifeguards are employed by the company to provide a high level of safety. If the guards aren't compensated fairly the true victims are the pool patrons.

• Hn
    hnorfleet Sep 19, 2008

There is some good news - Winkler Pools is offering to help those International Lifeguards that have found themselves stranded far from home. Check out the alert on their website at winklerpool.com.

• Re
    Regional Recruiter Sep 19, 2008

WOW. Something had to have happened. This is absolutely horrible. I was employed as a Regional Recruiter from 2004 to 2005 and can honestly say I saw the Century Pool Leadership and Management Team truly go through painstaking efforts to recruit the right individuals and provide the proper training be it local or international recruits. On an international level a great deal of effort was put towards ensuring the proper accommodations were made (Including but not limited to apartments, furniture, kitchen items, transportation whether bike or car) and all of the guards were paid appropriately. And, in terms of pay there are times when mistakes can and do happen but management actually came up with a policy called "Check on the Deck" in which if a mistake was found they would cut the check that same day and immediately make it available and in some cases Supervisors delivered the check directly to the guard at the pool thus the title Check on the Deck. I will also note that there are many things young people who are new to the US often get tangled in (legal issues, accidents, etc.) and I witnessed first hand members of the team go above and beyond to ensure that the guards were picked up and OK. I only became aware of this today while reading The Washington Post and I noticed the article mentioned a transfer of ownership sometime in 2006 to 2007. I can only assume that the new ownership did not carry the same philosophy as the original owner who was genuinely committed to "doing the right thing." It's all actually quite sad both for a Company that was built on strong values and more importantly for the employees who were not paid and were notified only by a scribbled sign on the Company door.

• Kc
    K. Copeland Oct 09, 2008

They owe me thousands of dollars. I've talked to Don Vetal, the CEO, and I've emailed him & a bunch of the rest of them several times.

I reported them to the Wage & Hour board at the federal level, who told me I'd have to do it on the state level. The Virginia Wage & Hour board told me I had to do it at the federal level. My mother, who has managed several businesses, says that time was the threat of an audit from the Wage & Hour Board was wore than the IRS -- apparently that valuable government oversight has gone the way of whoever used to watchdog Wall Street.

I will never let this go. These are the kind of people that make the work a crappy place for the rest of us. We can't let them get away with it. What I want to know, is what do I do next? I am in college on an academic scholarship. The money I earned with Century was earmarked to make up the difference between what that scholarship pays and what's left. I sure don't have any money for a lawyer.

I'd be extremely grateful for any suggestions.

• Ko
    K.O. Oct 28, 2008

I am missing over $1200 and I keep getting sent in circles. They are screwing over so many college students that its discusting.

• Bu
    Bulgarian Recruiting Agency Feb 04, 2009

I have sent over 40 students from Bulgaria to work for them. All of them miss between 1000 and 3000 USD. Many have been kicked out from the apartments(they payed the rent to Century and Century Rented to Them) and left on the streets.
    Don Vetal robbed the company. There are rumors this is his 4th company he bankrupted. It seems like this is his business - to make money like this, I am sure he found a door in the law and uses it with each company draining the money away...
    If anyone can find a way for the students to get what the worked for, please e-mail:
    [protected]@yahoo.com

jack Feb 12, 2009

Does anyone know there Maryland, Va and federal id numbers so I can do my taxes? This would help many people out if you have them thanks
    [protected]@yahoo.com

• Ad
    Adam Feb 22, 2009

Century didnt only screw over the international employees remember this. I am American and was a area supervisor who was working 7 days per week for at least 10 hours per day making $640 per week with a guaranteed bonus every month that never came. Not to mention the entire last month of pay that was not given out nor the gas reimbursment for $900 that wasn't paid and the 20 times my bank account was overdrawn because i was waiting for paychecks from century. Unfortunately many of my lifeguards were shorted money and for a few were kicked out of their apartments. I have been looking consistantly to see if there is any new news about Don Vetal or Century declaring bankruptcy all the way. I still haven't found anything. I still can't believe that this whole situation even took place. Something needs to be done and Don Vetal should be sitting in a prison cell for the rest of his useless life. I would be ashamed to be a friend or a family member of this worthless piece of ### of a man! As for taxes I'm not sure what to do but I have the ID numbers I believe. One for US employees and one for Internationals.
    CENTURY POOL MANAGEMENT EIN NUMBERS I FOUND TWO [protected] and [protected] I am sure that the 000 number is for abroad and the 52 number is for states.

josefk Jul 12, 2009

Can the worthless Century pool company tell their worthless lifeguards to check pool pass's. The Hunting Towers pool in Alexandria, VA has become the local swimming hole for every low life in the area.

• Co
    ColonelMC Aug 20, 2009

This year is their name High Sierra Pools. ;-)
    God Bles America

AnonymousII Sep 17, 2014

I know this is very late to the conversation, but I worked for Century for several years [protected]). I was brought into the office for upper level management work. One assignment was to review the outsourced lifeguard training: Ursus. A lifeguard for almost a decade, what I saw was shocking and woefully negligent. When I reported my concerns to my superior and the then owner of the company, I was told to keep my mouth shut or I would be fired. I assumed they were using the second company as a parachute for liability on any lawsuits, it became apparent that they were driven by greed and had little concern for repairing the problem. I finished my contract and moved on with my life.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices